Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TulliusCicero posted:

As someone who's been around the block on this: shortness of breath is the "Red Flag" symptom

It means the virus is in your lungs and destroying them, causing fluid to fill the lungs

He's intubated and in a coma, or in immense pain. The fever is the other dangerous symptom

My dad actually survived COVID, but it ravaged his lungs he couldn't breathe on his own afterwards, and his lungs eventually collapsed from the weakened state

This is all sounding so eerily familiar...

I'm still grumpy at you for stealing my avatar, but this sucks and I'm sorry you lost your dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

The saddest thing is that the press is doing a better job of contact tracing than they are, but only of famous people. The staffers are all hosed.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

This is so good.

But also, we live in an era when most voters get their information from 280-character tweets and cable news soundbites. Well-constructed prose like this is basically just pissing in the wind.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'd frankly rather not chat about them in here, among other reasons because the mods probate anyone who criticises their position.

FTFY.

Raenir Salazar posted:

The only moral baby eating is my baby eating! - Conservatives who claim stemcell research is analogous to baby eating.

There's a great sci fi short story called "Morality Meat", that was written by Alice Sheldon in the 80s, before Roe v Wade, and, well...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Reporters have figured out that "neutral to positive data: can be discussed. Negative data like chest x-ray or CT results? HIPAA protected!"

I mean, in a way this is HIPAA working as intended. Trump, as the patient, controls what medical information practitioners are allowed to share about him. He's fully within his rights to tell them to only disclose information that puts his condition in a positive light.

Ethically this is not a great thing for him to do, given that his health is a matter of national security, but from a strictly data protection standpoint, it is his prerogative.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

elise the great posted:

Do we live in bizarro world now? Is 95% spO2 ambulatory totally normal now? Is spO2 now an accurate indicator of lung function and perfusion? Does the President know what carbon dioxide is??? Does he think hypoxia is what makes you feel short of breath????????? My loving brain hurts

The president was delusional even before they gave him the dexamethasone.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah, I honestly can't tell the difference between Trump's drug bender posting and his normal shitposting. He's staggeringly inarticulate normally and has a habit of manically tweeting at 3 AM, so what's the difference? Like, try to read one of his speeches as a transcript. It's loving unreadable. He doesn't finish most of his sentences.

What's fascinating is that he seems more coherent. He's mostly using complete sentences, in both tweets and his videos! But he's also even more unhinged than usual.

Pants Donkey posted:

I dunno if he's high, desperate, or he read the tweet about his tweet output being linked to his health and is trying to get his "vitals" up.

Was it two days ago that he had a manic bout of tweeting random talking points in ALL CAPS in rapid succession? I feel like that was his "getting the tweet vitals up" moment.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

BDawg posted:

People like the couple who drank pool cleaner are going to think COVID is the fountain of youth.

The worst part is just how many people that is:

quote:

(Reuters) - More than a third of Americans misused cleaners and disinfectants to try to prevent infection by the coronavirus, according to a survey taken shortly after President Donald Trump publicly asked whether injecting such products could treat COVID-19.

Washing food with bleach, using household cleaning or disinfectant products on bare skin, and intentionally inhaling or ingesting these products were some of the most commonly reported “high-risk” practices in a May 4 online survey of 502 U.S. adults, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-disinfectants-idUSKBN23C2P2

This article goes into more depth:

quote:

Some 4% had drank or gargled bleach solutions, soapy water or disinfectants, 6% had inhaled vapours from household cleaners or disinfectants, and 10% said they had misted their body with a cleaning or disinfectant spray.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-americans-drinking-and-inhaling-bleach-to-try-to-prevent-covid-19-infections-study-12002236

So yeah, if the survey results are representative, around 8 million Americans have drunk or gargled with bleach because Trump told them to.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Isn’t that the thing where they make human-mouse hybrid cells? The god botherers would lose their poo poo over that

Yeah it's mouse B cells that produce the antibody smashed together with human cancer cells to make them immortal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoclonal_antibody
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybridoma_technology

They're not humanising mice, just some cells from their spleen.

Edit: also this is super, super, common. A huge range of medical tests rely on this technology.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Basically, the old way of making a monoclonal antibody is to inject the antigen (the coronavirus spike) into a mouse, then taking the B cells and fusing them with special tumor cells to form a hybridoma. You then isolate clones of these hybridomas, to screen for a clone that produces your specific monoclonal antibody. But all you're making are mouse antibodies, and putting a mouse antibody into a human will just make the human make anti-mouse antibodies, rendering your drug non-functional.

Therefore usually the second step is to humanize the mouse antibody, by swapping out parts of that mouse antibody with parts from a human antibody, forming a "chimeric" antibody that is "invisible" to the human immune system.

What we do now is humanize the mouse from the get-go. So the mouse will be genetically engineered to have human antibody genes, so that the final product looks like a fully human antibody. Much much faster.

Huh - yeah I did not know this, and that paper on how they did it is pretty interesting.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I think the more interesting science is going to be tracing all the people he and top Republicans gave it to. Technically it wouldn't be too hard. While nobody is going to release Trump and co's NP swabs, I'm pretty sure you could recruit enough pissed-off relatives and/or frontline staff from the Capitol.

I feel like there's be political fallout though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I think the more interesting science is going to be tracing all the people he and top Republicans gave it to. Technically it wouldn't be too hard. While nobody is going to release Trump and co's NP swabs, I'm pretty sure you could recruit enough pissed-off relatives and/or frontline staff from the Capitol.

I feel like there's be political fallout though.

million dollar mack posted:

They're not doing contact tracing on the president (because then he would have to admit that he was sicker for longer than he's said). So of course donnie will blurt that out in a few days time.

So I thought I should elaborate a bit on what I meant here. Scientists are sequencing the everloving gently caress out of SARS-CoV-2. NCBI has nearly 30,000 cases deposited already, and there are megaprojects around the world each aiming to sequence hundreds of thousands more. By the time we get to the end of this pandemic, there will be literally millions of sequenced cases, including at least hundreds of thousands from the US. And that's almost certainly going to be public data with accompanying county-level location information.

At that point, although challenging, it would almost certainly be technically feasible to trace out a clade of SARS-CoV-2 emanating from the Rose Garden/Coney-Barrett superspreader event, and from Trump's travel schedule before and after hospitalisation. You don't need to do contact tracing on the president. You just need someone with enough technical knowledge and the motivation to dig into the public data. And it's almost certainly just a matter of time before this happens. Hell, I might take a stab at it once more data is available.