Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
put on your fedoras and wax your moustaches

inspired by French onion soup, the Mad World from the Aviary cocktail book

for the drink:
2 oz bourbon (the recipe calls for Eagle Rare but I used Elijah Craig 12 here)
1 oz St. George ginger spiced pear liqueur
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
1/4 oz caramelized onion syrup (fully caramelize some onions, no this does not take 20 minutes like every recipe says, that's a damned lie it takes at least two hours, add them to sugar and water and cook in an immersion circulator for a couple of hours, then strain out all solids: this yields about 1 ounce per onion. I forget the exact ratios and heat and time for the sous vide, it was a while ago and I'm too lazy to look it up in the 8 pound cocktail book)
one egg white
dry shake, then shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass

for the ice:
a couple of 1.25" cubes of 50:50 rainwater Madeira and water with a pinch of sugar

for the "garnish"
express an orange twist into the drink then discard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

how was it?
the caramelized onion syrup is wild to me. How much of that roasted onion flavor does it retain? I'm guessing it goes well with the spiced pear liqueur but I am having a hell of a time trying to imagine how it all fits together.

those ice cubes are a very cute idea as well

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

welp gently caress it tomorrow i'm gonna make myself a royal fizz

with rum

or maybe a decent Flip since i've got nutmeg

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

how was it?
the caramelized onion syrup is wild to me. How much of that roasted onion flavor does it retain? I'm guessing it goes well with the spiced pear liqueur but I am having a hell of a time trying to imagine how it all fits together.

those ice cubes are a very cute idea as well

the aroma from the onion syrup is really strong, but the actual flavor it imparts is a lot more subtle. it's less of that onion-y flavor (i think there's a specific word for the particular onion aroma compound but i can't remember) but instead adds a sort of umami to the entire drink. it is really well balanced. i mean its basically a crazy whiskey sour at the end of the day.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just sitting here in my yurt, pounding back the alcoholized beef fizz

recipe: beef broth, ginger ale, lemon juice, vodka

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
tap water

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

rum n eggnog with some nutmeg on top

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
tap water

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

dragon stout

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Let me tell ya guys, when you're not drinking for a couple days because you drank like 70 beers over christmas break, there's just nothing like slamming back half a dozen coke zeroes

Edit: 70 beers is an estimated equivalent of course, it was actually more like 35 beers plus assorted spirits, liqueurs, and wines

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
margaritas

e: with tequila

e2: with many tequilas

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Picked up a 12er of this cause the package made me laugh

its ok

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I made myself a Fitzgerald, which has been an on-again off-again favorite for when I'm in the mood to break out the shaker and citrus reamer. Also the only cocktail I'm willing to explain to a bartender without feeling like an rear end (when the bar is slow, of course).

I use the recipe I found in a cocktail book, though I don't remember which:

Add:
3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz simple syrup
1.5 oz gin
2 dashes aromatic bitters

to a shaker with ice. Shake, strain into a chilled coupe glass.

I've also had it served in a rocks glass with a large cube, which was equally good

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Hi CSPAM, I'm gonna drink 12 beers and play videogames tonight. Wish me luck!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

how about a cocktail with Serrano pepper juice and lime bitters and green pepper vodka for ice cubes, with gin, chartreuse, ginger syrup, lime juice, celery juice, parsley tincture, and champagne?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'm good, thanks.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

how about a cocktail with Serrano pepper juice and lime bitters and green pepper vodka for ice cubes, with gin, chartreuse, ginger syrup, lime juice, celery juice, parsley tincture, and champagne?

looks good man

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

eSports Chaebol posted:

yummy

margaritas and amaretto for me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ice water

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

horny beer

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

Man Musk posted:

horny beer

nobody bonk the beer, you'll waste it

spooky cheers for the spooky month, I'm enjoying a Lagunitas Hazy Wonder right now at 4 o clock in the morning

may the spooky spectre of communism take us all before the graves do! oooh ho ho ho!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i only drink warm milk

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

eSports Chaebol posted:

seems like a needlessly complicated drink for assholes, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can you make alcohol from fermented cum? i think i might do that