Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I only started drinking a few months ago after a lifetime on teetotaling. The only alcohol I like so far is hard seltzer, cocktails, and mead. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

god help me i like bougie IPAs

rice IPA

Fun/vaguely cspam thing about these guys, Japanese beer tax law is a loving shitshow of prewar "western decadence to analyze but discourage" and postwar "horizontally integrate the entire country with every lever possible", making it one of the few developed countries to effectively ban homebrewing with a commercial beer production tax that must be paid but has a high minimum quota. There's a lot of playing around the edges, selling kits for near-beer and near-sake with a big old "fermenting this for longer than two days is illegal, and it's very illegal to ferment it for two weeks! who would want to do that anyway?" disclaimer or supply industry for microbrew sake, but additionally Hitachino does a thing (with plenty of self-interest in helping meet their own quota at first, surely) where you come in and brew on their smaller-scale equipment.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mandoric posted:

Fun/vaguely cspam thing about these guys, Japanese beer tax law is a loving shitshow of prewar "western decadence to analyze but discourage" and postwar "horizontally integrate the entire country with every lever possible", making it one of the few developed countries to effectively ban homebrewing with a commercial beer production tax that must be paid but has a high minimum quota. There's a lot of playing around the edges, selling kits for near-beer and near-sake with a big old "fermenting this for longer than two days is illegal, and it's very illegal to ferment it for two weeks! who would want to do that anyway?" disclaimer or supply industry for microbrew sake, but additionally Hitachino does a thing (with plenty of self-interest in helping meet their own quota at first, surely) where you come in and brew on their smaller-scale equipment.

speaking of weird postwar japan poo poo i'm pretty sure the brewery started because someone inherited some kind of fuedal title and the nearby people pay taxes to him in rice so he turned it into sake and beer

its all great though, probably my favourite brand but its somewhat rare here, my offie used to stock it.
i got hooked drinking it while looking for something thematic to drink while binge watching Three Kingdoms on youtube

Pretty Little Angel
Jun 26, 2006
Coffee for me, thanks.

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
same thing tonight as least for me

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
very drink, all :c00l:

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

I am purifying myself in readiness

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

That Spooky Witch posted:

I am purifying myself in readiness

clean your lens

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

Declan MacManus posted:

clean your lens

funny story about that

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I only started drinking a few months ago after a lifetime on teetotaling. The only alcohol I like so far is hard seltzer, cocktails, and mead. Thanks

Do not repeat the mistake I made once as a youth and get hammered on smirnoff ice or any of those flavored malt liquor drinks. Far and away the worst hangover I've ever had, worse than getting drunk, doing some lines, and getting way more drunk.

Does anyone use jiggers when mixing drinks at home? I like the consistency of doing the same thing every time, but I've been called out as a weird man because I do.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Do not repeat the mistake I made once as a youth and get hammered on smirnoff ice or any of those flavored malt liquor drinks. Far and away the worst hangover I've ever had, worse than getting drunk, doing some lines, and getting way more drunk.

Does anyone use jiggers when mixing drinks at home? I like the consistency of doing the same thing every time, but I've been called out as a weird man because I do.

if it's for me, i'm eyeballing pours; if it's for someone else or i'm doing someone else's recipe, i'll use jiggers and bar spoons

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

no, it's not weird to measure things with a thing when you like things to be exact. if anything, it's weird to call someone weird for doing that, so tell your weird friends to cut it out.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

I don't always use a jigger.

I often use a graduated cylinder instead.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

My partner mostly just wants to do shots these days so I've been constantly making limoncello (you can make a batch in just a few hours sous vide), and from Dave Arnold's book: PB&J vodka, and Cafe Touba (infuse rum with coffee in a whipping siphon, then clarify it by mixing it with milk and straining out the curds, then add sugar syrup with Grains of Selim mixed in)

Doing goofy poo poo like this is basically my hobby now. I've also got lemongrass vodka and turmeric gin and jalapeno tequila on hand right now. Simple syrup, demerara syrup, cinnamon syrup, ginger syrup, chicory syrup, caramelized onion syrup. I've made wormwood liqueur that can pass for Malort.It sure would be nice to have people over and make drinks for them!!!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

eSports Chaebol posted:

My partner mostly just wants to do shots these days so I've been constantly making limoncello (you can make a batch in just a few hours sous vide), and from Dave Arnold's book: PB&J vodka, and Cafe Touba (infuse rum with coffee in a whipping siphon, then clarify it by mixing it with milk and straining out the curds, then add sugar syrup with Grains of Selim mixed in)

Doing goofy poo poo like this is basically my hobby now. I've also got lemongrass vodka and turmeric gin and jalapeno tequila on hand right now. Simple syrup, demerara syrup, cinnamon syrup, ginger syrup, chicory syrup, caramelized onion syrup. I've made wormwood liqueur that can pass for Malort.It sure would be nice to have people over and make drinks for them!!!

your jalapeno tequila

give them to me

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

your jalapeno tequila

give them to me

for real get a whipping siphon because it takes all of 10 minutes to make jalapeno tequila and more importantly, you can get a decent amount of the actual pepper flavor without it being overbearingly spicy

my favorite drink ive had with it is from the Death & Co coctakil book

Fresa Brava
muddle one strawberry in your mixing tin
2 oz jalapeno tequila
3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz yellow Chartreuse
1/2 oz simple syrup

strain out the strawberry but the drink will still be pink

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Hi thread, what's your go-to bourbon? I've been getting into it more recently, and am about to finish a bottle of Buffalo Trace, which I enjoyed. Looking for something a little nicer, hopefully for less than $50 but I don't really drink hard liquor that often so I'm willing to spend a little more if it's worth it because I'll definitely get mileage out of it.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

four roses single barrel is my go-to mid-shelf bourbon

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
drinking a stout called black is beautiful

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Hi thread, what's your go-to bourbon? I've been getting into it more recently, and am about to finish a bottle of Buffalo Trace, which I enjoyed. Looking for something a little nicer, hopefully for less than $50 but I don't really drink hard liquor that often so I'm willing to spend a little more if it's worth it because I'll definitely get mileage out of it.

knoc creek to sip, evan williams bl to mix

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
good cheap bourbons: jim beam, evan williams, old grand dad, very old barton's, old forester, benchmark #8

good mid-shelf: woodford reserve, four roses, bulleit, buffalo trace, high west, blanton's, wood hat, defiance

good top shelf: lol

I love rye so honorable mentions to sazerac, templeton's, high west double, redemption and old overholt

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Drinking baijiu I picked up during my last trip to China. Thank you President Xi :china:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pbr

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

elijah craig used to be cheap

then again (relatively) so did hibiki

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
yeah I should probably qualify my ~tier list~ with a caveat that the last bottle of bourbon I drank was a bottle of eight and sand like 6 months ago. idk what the prices look like at the moment

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

today's cocktail:

glo sour
2 oz turmeric-infused gin
3/4 oz lime juice
3/4 oz simple syrup
2 ds orange bitters

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
this thread reminded me i haven't seen a bottle of wild turkey 101 in a while and now i'm in a pissy mood

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ice water

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Smythe posted:

ice water

coward

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Smythe posted:

ice water

water, vodka, and whiskey are all cognates true story

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

west coast bro

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
whole lotta ITT showing of their 2007 0.3 megapixel blackberries, and i'm loving it

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

whole lotta ITT showing of their 2007 0.3 megapixel blackberries, and i'm loving it

here have an ~artisinal~ photo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I feel like Oregon brewers have been phoning it in the last few years. After the “Hazy” phase, it seems like everyone gave up. Admittedly, InBev taking over half the shelf shape might have something to do with it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gin on rocks

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ice water

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
vodka soda