Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 89 days!
talking to people is fun. grow up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 89 days!
spending hours a day on a website where you talk to people "i cant handle talking to people sorry"

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 89 days!
to be sincere for a moment, there's a lot of work to be done that doesn't necessarily involve a lot of talking to strangers. obviously you'll still be doing a lot of talking and working with your fellow activists and organizers. but at the end of the day, talking to strangers is very important because those are the people that need to be persuaded. moreover, even if you're mostly doing back office work or making stuff or printing or whatever, you're going to end up getting pulled aside at an action by some rando who has questions. you need to know how to speak appropriately as a representative of your org. only way to really learn that is going out and doing it with someone who already knows how

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

If you're org isn't throwing piss balloons at SUVs that's extremely embarrassing

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

fermun posted:

there's a problem of a lot of paper members that pay dues but never go to meetings or actions or canvassing, etc.

This is 100% me. I joined my local DSA in the wake of August 12, 2017. My local chapter is pretty active and has great people, but I'm the type who might randomly show up for a meeting and then gently caress off for a long time. They probably hate me and think I'm not a good comrade, and they're not wrong but I'm not much of an irl joiner and I hate sitting through boring meetings.

The one consolation is that I'm positive I'm not the only "active on paper" member in this chapter or in the DSA at large.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

croup coughfield posted:

talking to people is fun. grow up

Oh no I love it but also have a fair amount of anxiety and it's really hard to deal with in unfamiliar social situations. People rule, but I have doctor diagnosed "bad brain".

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

croup coughfield posted:

to be sincere for a moment, there's a lot of work to be done that doesn't necessarily involve a lot of talking to strangers. obviously you'll still be doing a lot of talking and working with your fellow activists and organizers. but at the end of the day, talking to strangers is very important because those are the people that need to be persuaded. moreover, even if you're mostly doing back office work or making stuff or printing or whatever, you're going to end up getting pulled aside at an action by some rando who has questions. you need to know how to speak appropriately as a representative of your org. only way to really learn that is going out and doing it with someone who already knows how

Yeah I gotta get more involved. having a couple kids made things difficult timing wise but I see people with more struggles doing more than me and know I can do better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is 100% me. I joined my local DSA in the wake of August 12, 2017. My local chapter is pretty active and has great people, but I'm the type who might randomly show up for a meeting and then gently caress off for a long time. They probably hate me and think I'm not a good comrade, and they're not wrong but I'm not much of an irl joiner and I hate sitting through boring meetings.

The one consolation is that I'm positive I'm not the only "active on paper" member in this chapter or in the DSA at large.

They don't hate you. On papers dues paying members might be activated by something someday and even showing up to a meeting or rally here or there is more than most people bother to do. I don't do much organizationally in DSA, but Im a dues paying member and keep up on branch newsletter to swing by for local events when I can.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Oh gently caress I'm still paying dues to BK DSA lol whoops but good I guess

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

In Training posted:

They don't hate you. On papers dues paying members might be activated by something someday and even showing up to a meeting or rally here or there is more than most people bother to do. I don't do much organizationally in DSA, but Im a dues paying member and keep up on branch newsletter to swing by for local events when I can.

The UPS strike might be the thing to do it for me. My chapter has been organizing a 'get strike ready' campaign for that.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 89 days!
the meetings are boring if you're not involved in anything. get in a project or working group

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Sticky this thread tho

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Got two people (my houseguests) to sign up and pay dues to DSA by reminiscing about a mutual friend who is now on the (?) national chapter(?) (Idk he's on a national something cause he rules) Idk how this stuff works but the friend is cool so we are all supporting him/our comrades. Thanks thread for revitalizing my interest in talking about this stuff.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

what In Training said. there's no negative feelings. that's actually hyper-normal behavior and from a bud who used to do the account/dues management of a local chapter, basically <0.5% of people who pay show up, if even that.

In Training posted:

anyways i also do pretty much the same. dsa sucks rear end and is kinda demoralizing at times, but it's also the least bad one to work with easily

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

croup coughfield posted:

ill start the wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

apropos to nothing posted:

please do what the title of thread says

recently joined a marxist caucus in dsa, and was fairly impressed that I wasn’t able to until I had read some more theory and passed an interview