Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Decentralisation is enormously important and I believe it in whole-heartedly. But decentralisation is also far less efficient, from both usability and cost perspectives. I would very very much like ActivityPub to be A Thing but even though I am pretty great at writing software and consider the internet to be my actually true home town I don't have a mastodon account because I am not really a 'joiner' who self-identifies as something straightforward, like 'gay' or 'a fan of a band' or 'a nazi' and it seems like that's basically what the situation is vis a vis servers. I'd run my own instance like you, but I don't want to pay cash money to make tweets even less people read than my twitter account.

The fact that signing up kind of invites a yawning existential angst is sort of against it as a product, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU