Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i had an 80 gig 2nd gen zune and it was alright, but ya it felt behind the curve. i think the first iphone/ipod touch had just come out, or did a bit later. everyone seemed to love the software but I absolutely hated it, and it had really buggy tag support for its entire life cycle and I always had syncing issues with a large library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

in general part of the funny thing about the zune was that it was perfectly competent, perhaps even more so than the competition, but it was way late and everything associated with it was weird.

this is pretty good! id almost believe you were a zune apologist but no one is that dumb haha

pram
Jun 10, 2001
do windows phone next

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh i am 100% a wp apologist, and the thread would be none improved by me waxing about those glorious days, but the zune was fully and entirely dumb for non-technology reasons. which is pretty classic microsoft.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i had a nokia 640 for a bit and really liked it.

then when windows phone 10 dropped, i triple checked the compatibility list, which my phone was on, ran the updater, which ran a scan to ensure it would work, which passed, i hit install and the phone immediately permanently bricked with no chance of recovery

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i had a nokia 640 for a bit and really liked it.

then when windows phone 10 dropped, i triple checked the compatibility list, which my phone was on, ran the updater, which ran a scan to ensure it would work, which passed, i hit install and the phone immediately permanently bricked with no chance of recovery

sounds like it worked well in giving you the best windows phone experience. none at all

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

windows phone looked slick as hell and I remember the sprint store salesman cautioning against it

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I’m sidetalkin

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
omg the Zune looks just like my Royale Noir XP theme, it’s great that Microsoft is giving us the same experience.
wonder when they’ll make Stardock and windowblinds addons for this baby

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
just got the razr, it’s such a cool phone 😎

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Royale and Royale noir were pro as hell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Royale and Royale noir were pro as hell

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Management posted:

rip all of my CDs to WMA

my friend did this with windows media player in 2004 and they asked me to help convert them to mp3 later so they'd work in itunes 0_o

no they did not care about the lossy compression warbles from 96kbps wma to 128kbps mp3

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
in 2006 I was ripping CDs to OGG VORBIS because it sounded better than 128kbps cbr MP3s

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i just remembered that itunes auto converted wmas to the default import format and probably still does when you dragged them into it.

Silver Alicorn posted:

in 2006 I was ripping CDs to OGG VORBIS because it sounded better than 128kbps cbr MP3s

and now everyone listens to OGG in their homes and cars via spotify

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Last Chance posted:

my friend did this with windows media player in 2004 and they asked me to help convert them to mp3 later so they'd work in itunes 0_o

no they did not care about the lossy compression warbles from 96kbps wma to 128kbps mp3

computer, give me the loudest, most condensed AACs you've got

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i didn’t have a zune in 2007 but i did have a razr v3. didn’t have music on it tho.

thanks and have a good one

—President Beep

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Hed posted:

omg the Zune looks just like my Royale Noir XP theme, it’s great that Microsoft is giving us the same experience.
wonder when they’ll make Stardock and windowblinds addons for this baby

lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my buddy who is a giant music head reencoded all his mp3s to some lossy low bitrate aac format to fit more on his ipod

It used to throw me into spergy fits

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

give your account to your much cooler buddy imo.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Gentle Autist posted:

my buddy who is a giant music head reencoded all his mp3s to some lossy low bitrate aac format to fit more on his ipod

It used to throw me into spergy fits

i was transcoding to whatever aac itunes did automatically so i could fit more podcasts on my nano at the time, which meant a tin can recording being resent over a thinner string to my skullcandy earbuds

real bummed that ms caught on to the goon ms games grift and i never got my zune :mad:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
i’m listening to music from iTunes on my phone and it’s absolutely insane

and it’s a motorola!!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

also I’m getting shoved into lockers after class lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

i was transcoding to whatever aac itunes did automatically so i could fit more podcasts on my nano at the time, which meant a tin can recording being resent over a thinner string to my skullcandy earbuds

real bummed that ms caught on to the goon ms games grift and i never got my zune :mad:

podcasts are all good tho, it doesn’t matter if they sound pretty poo poo. AM quality is enough

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
for some things it’s preferred, e.g. coast 2 coast.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

my homie dhall posted:

i’m listening to music from iTunes on my phone and it’s absolutely insane

and it’s a motorola!!

I had a rokr too lmao.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I had a rokr too lmao.

a good phone imo

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

windows phone was good

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Beamed posted:

windows phone was good

Windows Mobile was good. Windows Phone was bad.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

excuse me did you just say that an OS was not in fact a POS

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

thank you for your correction, the best phone of the 2010s was the nokia lumia

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Windows Mobile was good.

lol yes the os that for years would reset your settings if it ran out of battery

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

lol yes the os that for years would reset your settings if it ran out of battery

never had that happen to me on my HTC TouchPro 2 :smug:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

mediaphage posted:

the secret is to never run out of battery

if you look at the performance of a modern smartphone it's obvious you're supposed to tether the thing to a power bank 24/7 anyway

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

never had that happen to me on my HTC TouchPro 2 :smug:

by the time that rolled out, the issue/feature was fixed. i definitely had a winmo pda that would basically hard reset if you ever fully ran out of power.

tp2 had such a great keyboard

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Beamed posted:

oh poo poo I had a lumia, too! I hated it because it didn’t have any apps (a thing I cared about at the time) and the big apps like Facebook and whatnot worked weirdly.

cool phone tho. I liked the haptic vibrate function the best

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

by the time that rolled out, the issue/feature was fixed. i definitely had a winmo pda that would basically hard reset if you ever fully ran out of power.

tp2 had such a great keyboard

yeah I still miss that keyboard. the keys were offset the same way they are in a keyboard instead of being all in matching columns like most.

You just reminded me when all zunes stopped working one day after a leap year in like 2009 lol

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

yeah I still miss that keyboard. the keys were offset the same way they are in a keyboard instead of being all in matching columns like most.

You just reminded me when all zunes stopped working one day after a leap year in like 2009 lol
i put my birthday as february 31st in any system that allows it in the hopes that it’ll cause a power supply to short and arc out lightning making their creepy nsa tier datamine farm for a company selling cat food to catch fire.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Beamed posted:

actually it was the iphone 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Gentle Autist posted:

actually it was the iphone 5

honestly. how could someone gently caress this up?