Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

him and Juno. i haven't seen anything with her in it before i do not believe.

Killer Joe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anyways I recently came across this link (was it given here? Some other thread?) detailing Ursula Le Guin's (amazing sci fi/fantasy writer) Carrier bag theory regarding fiction, a pointed critique on genre tropes honing on Hero and violence worship

quote:

In the temperate and tropical regions where it appears that hominids evolved into human beings, the principal food of the species was vegetable. Sixty-five to eighty percent of what human beings ate in those regions in Paleolithic, Neolithic, and prehistoric times was gathered; only in the extreme Arctic was meat the staple food. The mammoth hunters spectacularly occupy the cave wall and the mind, but what we actually did to stay alive and fat was gather seeds, roots, sprouts, shoots, leaves, nuts, berries, fruits, and grains, adding bugs and mollusks and netting or snaring birds, fish, rats, rabbits, and other tuskless small fry to up the protein. And we didn't even work hard at it-- much less hard than peasants slaving in somebody else's field after agriculture was invented, much less hard than paid workers since civilization was invented. The average prehistoric person could make a nice living in about a fifteen-hour work week.

quote:

It is hard to tell a really gripping tale of how I wrested a wild-oat seed from its husk, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then another, and then I scratched my gnat bites, and Ool said something funny, and we went to the creek and got a drink and watched newts for a while, and then I found another patch of oats.... No, it does not compare, it cannot compete with how I thrust my spear deep into the titanic hairy flank white Oob, impaled on one huge sweeping tusk, writhed screaming, and blood spouted everywhere in crimson torrents, and Boob was crushed to jelly when the mammoth fell on him as I shot my unerring arrow straight through eye to brain. That story not only has Action, it has a Hero. Heroes are powerful. Before you know it, the men and women in the wild-oat patch and their kids and the skills of the makers and the thoughts of the thoughtful and the songs of the singers are all part of it, have all been pressed into service in the tale of the Hero. But it isn't their story. It's his.

quote:

If it is a human thing to do to put something you want, because it's useful, edible, or beautiful, into a bag, or a basket, or a bit of rolled bark or leaf, or a net woven of your own hair, or what have you, and then take it home with you, home being another, larger kind of pouch or bag, a container for people, and then later on you take it out and eat it or share it or store it up for winter in a solider container or put it in the medicine bundle or the shrine or the museum, the holy place, the area that contains what is sacred, and then next day you probably do much the same again--if to do that is human, if that's what it takes, then I am a human being after all. Fully, freely, gladly, for the first time.

This season seemed like an especially in your face rebuke to toxic masculinity and, as Le Guin calls it, "the Ascent of the Action Hero". Dot doesn't kill the bad guy, the bad guy, who's deadly and capable, is shown to be a crazed serial killer whose resolution is as anti-climactic as it is inevitable (FBI group tackle), the other bad guy faces Dot, and is ultimately defeated and befriended through the power of kindness and a good meal. The food, gathered, cooked, and shared, an act of pure humanity. Feminist, in that it is a 180 degree from traditional masculine adrenaline laden narratives, and more heart sustaining than heart warming. Because it feels so much more real. Because this is the world I would rather live in.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 21, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DaveKap posted:

I think a better argument to make is that Fargo is a show with a lot of really good cinematography in it and a moment where said cinematography could have been really good, it was actually really not good.

In the moment it felt like using fog to cover up the action was a means of cheaping out, to the point where it's actually wild to me they filmed a battle and yet we got this foggy, blinky stuff instead. And if they did film the battle, that means the show was made and filmed in such a way that they thought they would show this violence on the screen. To say avoiding it is somehow inherent to the underpinnings of the entire series is ignoring the fact that it was filmed. Someone was maybe gonna do some cool cinematography and, for some reason, it was dropped. I do not think that reason is "someone forgot the themes of their own show." I would absolutely sooner say it was to avoid giving the morons their blaze of glory but even that seems like something people would've figured out during filming. My occam's razor bet is either the editors couldn't make CGI squibs and blood look good or it was going to cost too much.

Scenes are shot then dropped all the time in the edit as the creators piece together what they are trying to say tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

Hell by the end I wanted a whole season of Munch killing people and telling them about A Man. Or just eating pancakes.

God I love so much that the show punctured Munch's air of mystique that just humanized him more, whole pointing out that he is an utterly ridiculous person to encounter. A man, uses I.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah the main theme of S5 might have been debt, but another one, which has also threaded the previous seasons enough that it should be added as a sub addendum to the basic premise of the show, decency meeting the ultimate evil.

There are things in this world that are so depraved, so mired in blood and needless violence, that you will not survive encountering them unless you are willing to shed morality and especially the rule of law, which more than likelu is slanted towards these beings. That at times, it is better to let that evil pass by and not notice you than it is to engage and inevitably fail.

It's a pretty dark theme, but it's almost similar to what you do in a blizzard. You don't go out there swinging your fists. You hunker down, with who you love, and wait it out until.it finally ends.

E: Danish is an interesting case because this season separated the specter of the lack of no legal consequences from the antagonists. But even Danish was tangling with something he was absolutely not ready for, a more primal and ancient form of evil, that absolutely had no interest in laws he in turn manipulated.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 29, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

oh jay posted:

If I was in a blizzard I would simply shoot my crush/future wife.

I mean, points for initiative

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Doltos posted:

I feel like that's a fairly straight forward interpretation?

Seems reasonable to me!

uber_stoat posted:

"I don't want to push my chips forward and go out and meet something I don't understand."

Exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

timp posted:

:):respek::) That might have been me I think!

My take at the time was that Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman weren’t nearly as intimidating as they acted like they were, but it sort of made sense in a way because hey, this isn’t NYC or LA we’re seeing here, it’s Kansas City. And IIRC both characters were replacing older, more established and respected characters near the beginning of the season.

So yeah, they’re not S-tier big city goons, they’re B-tier medium city goons trying to act tough.

Whether or not it “worked” is still probably up for debate, but that was at least my justification for the casting.

EDIT: This thread is actually the S4 thread repurposed so I went back and found my original take:

My impression of Kansas City is gangsters are crazier there than most anyone on any of the Coasts. It's butcher country right?