Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Cross-posting my last post from the Couch Chat since there's a thread now (and skipping the posts above to avoid spoilers).

quote:

I had typed out a list of thoughts on Fargo, but by the end of episode 3 I think I can sum up this season:

Fargo is up its own rear end.

Not one bit of it feels natural.

This show has always been up its own rear end from the first "This is a true story" card which is utter bullshit. (I get that it was in the movie but just do it in the season premiere and be done with it.) I came into episode 3 ready to delete the series off my DVR until...

quote:

While I agree with this sentiment in general, I would amend the statement with the qualifier that Timothy Olyphant playing a loquacious US Marshal who only hears what he wants feels natural as hell.

The sudden and unexpected appearance of Raylan Givens single-handedly retained my interest.

Still working through Episode 3, but it's the zany/wacky facets of this show that knock it down a peg for me, such as the outlaws' dueling farts in the coffin. Why does the robbery scene have to involve one of them making GBS threads themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Fartington Butts posted:

This is a hella good take that I never even considered. It explains why every time Oraetta encounters Ethelrida (I had to look up this name) she makes a disparaging remark about her.

The names on this show are insane. No wonder I can't remember any of them.

I can't remember doing this for any other show but I've been assigning nicknames until I learn the actual names. The crime boss is Pipsqueak, the aggressive Italian introduced in E2 is Farva, the Irish guy who shot his father is Q, Raylan, etc.

e- "If a man's pud needed a tug, would this be the place for said tuggin'?" I never thought we'd get a bonus season of Justified, but here we are. :perfect:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 14, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Last season was so far up its own rear end I gave up after like four episodes, but I'm willing to give it another shot.

I'd forgotten how much this show leans into anyone from the Upper Midwest seeming like the dumbest, most simpled-minded yokels possible, ya betcha!

e- One episode + 10 minutes in and this is already better than Season 4.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 22, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The dude (who was terrifying) not even flinching as he just blew the poor bastard away was hilarious (and horrible!)

He didn't even look! He just turned the rifle and fired.

Fartington Butts posted:

"You appear to have played a Tommy Lee drum solo all over your Mrs' facade."

The chokehold and then throwing the hot coffee in his face.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 23, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hard to believe Jennifer Jason Leigh, mother of a teenager in this show, is 61.

"As my attorney, I authorize you to knock his loving block off." I hate and also like Dandy/Lockjaw Mom in that Bill Rawls-in-The Wire way; the character is an awful human being, but also fun and well-played by the actor.

Sheriff Morals' son seems like a bad Justified goon. This is not a bad thing.

e- Dot and Scotty Home Alone-ing the house was fun. This absolutely blows the doors off S4, but why they hell do they have to have the movie-style, 10 minute end credits. I keep hoping I get 1:06 of show when I get :59.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 24, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Huh? She's the grandmother of the teenager.

I got the two confused. I remembered her reddish brown hair in Hateful 8 (literally the only thing I know her from) and, not paying close enough attention/without looking closely, assumed she was in the starring role.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Just finished E3 and what the gently caress just happened? (Serious question- what was Munch 1522 eating?)

I think I said this already, but I'm saying it again: this blows the doors off S4. :tviv: (e- though I feel ripped off at losing 5-6 minutes because they have to do the movie-style credits :argh:)

LifeLynx posted:

I read a review that called this season "an accent in search of a show" or something and now I can't get it out of my head. Yeah, lots of crazy accents, and a lot of them seem designed to replace having to write character personalities. I don't like how one-dimensional everyone who's not Juno Temple is. But I'm willing to stick with it a while longer. It really hurts that this is the first season I haven't been able to just marathon since season 1.

oh jay posted:

1. I will admit that Fargo has been guilty of being so far up its own rear end with mythology / magic / bullshit to its own detriment.

This show seems to lean way, way too hard into the tropes it's trying to inject into every season (and episode). Everyone with an accent, everyone with an accent being simple-minded, goofy country folk from the Upper Midwest ya betcha, the stupid "This was based on a true story" bullshit they still insist on having in the intro to each episode.

But, in four of five seasons, it's been enough to overcome with how good the show has been.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Regarding Jennifer Jason Leigh, for god's sake, is Fast Times at Ridgemont High not nearly as well known as I thought it was?

The only reason I'd have seen it would've been watching it with a girl I dated 18 years ago and we never made it that far, so I've never had a reason to watch any of the Brat Pack movies.

Good to see Gator is exactly the neo-Nazi you'd think he'd be. He's absolutely the in-over-his-head villain from Justified who gets got at the end of the season.

Das Boo posted:

E: Oh, and The Shining music made me smile.

I'm glad I didn't make that connection, or else finishing it at Midnight would've been even creepier.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 1, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm not all the way through E4 yet, as my DVR didn't record it and I'm having to sit through the ads. I'm not closely reading the thread to avoid spoilers, but:

timp posted:

I agree that it's clear that Dot wouldn't want to touch that, but what about Wayne? Wouldn't it be a quick, easy connection for him? Wife wants guns, mother has guns, why not ask mother for guns? His character has already been established as one who goes to him mom for help with things above his paygrade.

Like I said, it's a totally ignorable detail that honestly didn't even occur to me until after watching the episode, but it feels like a missed connection that could have been assuaged in 2 lines of dialogue. Chekhov's Assault Rifles gone untouched, if you will.

Wayne seems like a bit of a dumbass in the true, Fargo simpleton mold. I think his mom acknowledged as much in E3; something about he's not for the "big time" or something like that?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I've never wanted anything to do with organized religion, but drat, if I wouldn't listen to Jon Hamm-as-Sheriff Morality read the audiobook of the Bible.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ok, gently caress JJL's character so hard. Why are we having this scene?

Not the actress herself, mind.

Also, how on Earth did Dot think that was going to work?

e- Fuckin' :laffo:, get her, Sheriff Morals.

e2- "Put on your big boy pants and take the hit". God drat, they're both throwin' blows!

e3- The whole 7 years bit. Jesus, that whole thing was one of the best exchanges I've seen in years. :tviv: :tviv: :tviv: :tviv: :tviv:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 13, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I was expecting Roy and Lorraine to team up. Nope.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Season 3 and 4 have their moments but for me they'd lost the magic that Season 1 and (especially) Season 2 had, and 4 in particular kind of never really goes anywhere or achieves much of anything, and not in an entertaining "Burn After Reading" way.

It's been a while since I've seen any of it and, even then, I think I made it through three episodes, but am I right in remembering that season 4 had a heavy social justice angle that seemed shoehorned in and like it was trying to play into what was going on in real life around the same time it was released?

Maybe it was unintentional on the show's part and coincidental that it came out not long after the summer of 2020.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I hope loser husband meets the same fate as Brad Pitt's similar character in Burn After Reading.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

shirunei posted:

I got like 30 seconds into deadbeats wife speech and was surprised the first words out of her mouth weren't i want a divorce. Lots of exploring into misogyny with the sheriff and loser hubby this season I guess?

His putting on the cologne before he goes to see his physical therapist was quite telling.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DaveKap posted:

I'm really super curious how golf husband is gonna end. In some way I want Indira to do it but there's no way Fargo would have the primary cop go darkside like that.

It's interesting how every season seems to stick to the theme of "local cop is the hero/smartest LEO in the show". Cop whose wife has cancer from S2(?) comes to mind.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

drat, they pulled off an "It was all just a dream," type twist and didn't make me hate it. Well done.

I'm annoyed they spent a good portion of the episode on it for it to be a dream, but it was well done. Doesn't surprise me given she was hardly in the last one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ruddiger posted:

I must be pretty dense because I didn’t realize the woman’s commune stuff was supposed to be a dream until after I watched and then read this thread.

Also thank god I was wrong because I thought it was JLL who the sin eater was going to axe because of the dang “this season on” teaser.

The dream sequence ends with her staring at the same pancakes in the diner she was earlier. (E- her falling asleep at the wheel was interesting foreshadowing now that I realize it.)

I was hoping it was going to lead to Linda and Dot going after Roy in their own way while Lorraine and Indira had a separate plot brewing and was actually disappointed when it turned out to be a dream.

Open Source Idiom posted:

So this episode could have largely been a coma dream, or perhaps Dot actually went to the land of the dead and talked to Tillman's dead wife and achieved this personal catharsis (I'm leaning towards the latter). But either way you're taking her away to a safe space where the character can work through her issues on her own terms and at her own pace, without the threat of Tillman invading or her wicked mother in law subverting the mental health process, or just the constant stress that Dot's gonna be feeling because of her various jobs and issues and concerns.

And sometimes you just need to have a really good nap.

The accident/poasible coma happens after the dream unless there's something else they're going to pull.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 29, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Is anybody else getting Ron and Casey DeSantis vibes from Roy and his wife?

E- Jesus, this is the best season of TV since Justified.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 3, 2024

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I really didn't want Danish Graves to get shot by absolute poo poo heel Roy Tillman but I guess that's Fargo for ya.

Just really wanted to keep seeing smug Dave Foley, but I guess the season only has 2 eps left.

Speaking of this, glad to see FX is back to its "Only ONE episode left before the SEASON FINALE!" bullshit.

That used to trip my dad up constantly with Justified/The Americans.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Do you want me to call the Governor?"

"No. I'm done loving around. Get me :smugdon:." :aaaaa: :tviv:

e- Boy, this was a bit hamfisted for the Tiger.

E2- I haven't been this excited for 20 minutes of a TV show since Bulletville.

I just hope this ends like at the end of season 2 of Justified where Gator plays the role of Dickie Bennett watching his cop brother die in front of him

E3- THE LOOK ON HIS FACE WHEN THE SAC DOESN'T STAND DOWN. :allbuttons:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 10, 2024

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

The maga/trump poo poo is super cringy but I'm still loving this season. Munch is the loving best.

They may be leaning into it a smidge hard, but I think it's only cringy because it's still so fresh to the point that it's ongoing.

It doesn't hurt in making everyone involved in this ultra-hateable, though there's a theoretical plot hole in asking why Trump would aid in the takedown of the type of militia he wanted.

I just remembered this show has its dumbass, drawn out cinematic credits sequence, which means this episode is going to end sooner than it should.

E- To watch the trailer or not?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 10, 2024

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Munch is great.

Just really want Dorothy to survive this season, drat.

I keep erroneously calling him Lurch, and I'm going to let it roll.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/CeeHawk/status/1744926386257576045?t=A2laVo6SAr_aU-u7oZT0Jw&s=19

:hmmyes:

TraderStav posted:

Ehh, Gator ain't watching poo poo.

At the time, I thought he was only going to do one to send another message.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Having not seen the end yet, I'm hoping for slow, painful, and degrading for Roy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Farr should've dropped Tillman's knife for him, but that wouldn't have allowed for the reveal of the eventual capture so :shrug:.

Also, I'm only 22 minutes in? :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

There's an interview with Hawley from a prior season where he goes over his philosophy on violence, and it's great. Can't find it, cause Google sucks rear end. I'm probably going to get some of this wrong, but the gist is: violence in this world hurts. It's not glorified, and isn't aspirational, and when it happens it leaves big craters in the people experiencing it and the world they were in. Spontaneous, awful, and generally leads to either more violence or severe consequences.

And I think it does really set Fargo apart from other shows like, to make a completely unfair comparison, The Walking Dead where the violence is the point.

The TV equivalent of Katt Williams' bit about "ain't poo poo cool about getting shot".

"Ain't no music play, ain't no bitches come out."