Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My current thought as to the ghost is that it represents America's original sin, considering this season has dealt with the unattainability of the American Dream. Basically, America has a decaying corpse in its basement--its treatment of people of color--that continues to haunt them to this day. I originally thought the ghost was just a thing haunting Ethelrida's family, considering that before this episode no one except her and Zelmare had seen it, but Swanee seeing it in this episode kinda solidified this idea, which I had been toying with for a while now. The ghost showing itself exclusively to a black family and a Native American woman is honestly pretty blunt at this point, the ghost is racism y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Open Source Idiom posted:

How does murder nurse fit into the rest of that reading, though?

I have no idea! I don't actually have a clue how to interpret Oraetta's actions on even a literal level, much less a metaphorical one!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not sure the last shot was Mike heading to his office job, because he was clearly preparing for conflict. But there only being one Kitchen brother with him kind of narrows the timeline it could possibly be; maybe it's him heading to the motel.

I really liked the way that last scene was presented: he's still just that same little boy, forever changed, practicing reloading his gun. The biggest issue with Satchel becoming Mike for me was generally that Satchel was rather unemotional and guarded, while Mike was a very cool and larger-than-life figure. But that last scene contextualizes the transformation: Mike is a performance, a defense mechanism. Satchel's still in there, but he's buried under layers of affectation meant to protect him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You can tell where the reshoots were, it's very obvious, especially when you look at any tree in the last two episodes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fargo good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One of the better ideas of Season 4 was partially inverting the dynamic between honest cops and evil criminals so I'm glad they're not purely returning to the old formula

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ruddiger posted:

Was that true about guy ballerinas being called ballerinos?

Apparently, yes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think part of the reason for the dream sequence is to take the possibility of a non-violent solution off the table. It was a lie from the start, and things are going to come to blows no matter what.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I think Danish was "loyal" to Lorraine in that he wouldn't directly defy her, so he didn't contact her because he didn't want her to shoot him down. And remember, he wanted to be included in the Christmas card scene in the first episode. I think he kind of viewed himself as part of the family, or at least wished he was, and part of that is that he felt genuinely bad about what's happening to Dot and was willing to offer something he believed Lorraine wouldn't approve of to get her back.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was slightly confused as to why Munch saved Dot after he had already more-or-less resolved his issues with Tillman by blinding Gator. However, his dialogue seemed to make it clear that he viewed the posse about to shoot her like a fish in a barrel as a type of inequity in and of itself, and he seems to be, in some way, the arbitrator of debts. He is justice in that moment, he is the righting of the scales, he is the leveling of the playing field.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's that conversation with Danish at the hospital where Witt clearly struggles with this idea everyone else has internalized, that if you have enough power you get to effectively create your own reality. When Roy tries to sneak up on Witt his first reaction after being told to drop the knife is to ask "what knife?", as if he wasn't holding it in his hand. Those are very clearly linked ideas, to me. Witt died because he didn't understand the nature of the power he was dealing with.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

th3t00t posted:

I thought Witt Farr's death was an allegory. He represents the American political establishment. While he wields the power to stop fascism, he fails to act and instead binds himself with decorum and stands there impotently until fascism stabs him in the heart.

More or less, yeah

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the point is that it isn't satisfying

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yes, there is no catharsis, that is the point

also rian johnson owns lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The cuts to black communicate that it's chaos, but also that the chaos is utterly irrelevant. Nothing happening in the shootout matters, it entirely involves people we do not know.

It's honestly very efficient storytelling to communicate that it's unimportant.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IIRC the only seasons that don't fade the whole phrase at once, including the movie, are 3 and 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It explains why it's clearly summer whenever you see a tree in the last couple episodes