Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

i'm just up through episode 3 and enjoying this a lot. some of the poo poo is too cute but i can roll with it. the plot is dynamic and interesting. although i haven't watched this show since s2 and it feels like it must just be a show where it is always a permutation of some seemingly boring couple getting into some murder.

juno temple - yeah, she's really standing out. her accent is obviously fake but because he character is fake and she's just extremely beautiful - and i mean particularly in this cos i looked her up to see if she was in anything i'd seen (turns out she's been in a lot of famous poo poo i haven't seen) and she just looks like some standard actress before. but now. whoah.

jon hamm's character made me laugh when i realised what kind of guy he was playing. he's so gross, and he's doing the S6 of mad men ugly don draper smile which is so much more welcome when he's playing a villain.

did NOT like the '500 years earlier' segment in ep 3. that's part of what i mean by too cute. another part is how credulous dot's husband is. you can't just put 'minnesota nice' as a pretext quote and expect me to endlessly expect seemingly average people to adopt insane selective blindness.

but this is a heightened world so like i said, i roll with it and hope it all works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I was thinking all the way throught the last few episodes - in my story, Dot just point blank kills Roy without any hesitation and no torturing on her way out of this back to her own world. In this story, he needs to be erased. Forgotten, nothing, it doesn't even matter if he 'wants to die' as the last 2 eps were putting forth, he just has gotta go because of the damage he does. He won't stop, can't be fixed, and just has to go. But we don't need to enjoy it.

Torturing him, or making him feel fear, or whatever - none of it is important, and the need for that kind of violent retribution is the same impulse that creates the kind of person Roy is. You let a bit of that in, and you become a bit worse, something uglier. There's no upside. You chain yourself by indulging in your worst impulses.

So, of course Lorraine's response is to take that to the nth degree and ensure he will be beaten and raped for 20 years while she sips expensive booze or whatever. She's an emotional wreck, violent gratification is one of the few pleasures she is aware of.

The thing I really liked though, is that the show doesn't end on that - it ends on what I think of as an anti-fight scene. Munch shows up at Dot's house presumably with some kind of violent showdown in mind, but the entire sequence is just the three family members putting a cork in it every time he tries to push things in that direction. He doesn't know what the next thing to say is, what to do, and finally the violence in him is just gone.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Doltos posted:

I didn't think Munch was going to do anything to Dot at the beginning of the scene. The action already felt deflated by that point and I don't think there was much of a thematic reason for him to kill her outside of a pessimistic view on the world.

Well, yeah. There isn't. I think they knew this because the show had done a hard cut to black several times already by that point. It is adding more angles onto the ending, so there's more to think about. I didn't think Munch was actually going to shoot Dot, but I think he thought he might before he walked in that house.

My point is that Munch being pacified at Dot's is a direct response to Lorraine's denouement with Roy, and a much more uplifting note to leave things on. Lorraine's response doesn't fix anything at all, it's not even a victory.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i thought both denouements of roy/lorraine and munch/dot's family were good ways to end the show but you might be on to something about them being too long and now that i think of it, the entire showdown at the ranch was pretty much cut away from, right? maybe they had a bigger sequence planned there which ended up not working or they couldn't shoot,and ended up using footage in those final scenes which would have been edited for pace otherwise

or y'know maybe not