Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mullitt posted:

I just rewatched seasons 1 and 2 this year, and I felt more tension even knowing what was going to happen than I have felt at any point this entire season.
The scene right before the time skip at the end of season one where Gus is sitting in his mail truck next to the woods in the snow and the music starts playing and the camera slowly pulls back is still one of the most tense moments I've ever experienced watching a tv show (which is kind of silly because there's no reason to think that he's about to be killed of anything but I still freaked out the first time I watched it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

uber_stoat posted:

Munch is a Chigurh remix i guess, he has Rules and if you violate the Rules you're hosed. old lady gave Munch hospitality and pancakes and Gator killed her. Gator is not long for the world.
His face when he found her body was amazing.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

LifeLynx posted:

I also liked the reveal that Gator was like a younger brother to Dot while they were living together, going to her for comfort while his dad was beating his mom and so on. He's still a piece of poo poo, but that's how he was raised.
The reveal that Dot believes that Gator is "trying to be good, you can see it in his eyes. But he wants to be his Dad more" was one of the saddest moments from the whole episode, especially when put into context with the puppets later on.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

The Grumbles posted:

Or - to bring it back to the more immediate characterisation - Roy Tillman is scary and horrible and never shows any warmth, whereas Lorraine starts off scary but you slowly see these flashes of real warmth that makes it obvious she does care about the people around her in her own way. She gets given some of the defining lines in the show (like the excellent takedown of libertarians) and the show obviously wants you to enjoy having her around.
My take on it is that Lorraine is not a good person and that every good thing she does over the course of the show she is doing for purely selfish reasons. But, by the end, she does love Wayne and Dot as much as she allows herself to love anyone in the world that she has created for herself. Is that 'good enough'? In the very narrow story of the Lyon family, yeah, probably. In the broader sense of 'what does Lorraine say about the world that Fargo Season 5 exists in' no it's not and what we've gotten to see her do in the series is take a 'good' person and corrupt them into part of her machine so that's not great. But I feel like all of the Fargo seasons except for maybe season 1 kind of intentionally leave things open and unresolved because that is how life works in the Fargoverse; there aren't really definitive endings and even going all the way back to the original Fargo movie there were still pieces out of place and unsettled in that little tiny story.