Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Every season of Fargo has owned including this one and I don't know why people itt are being lovely untowards it

Agreed. This season has been very Fargo and I'm loving it. There have been a ton of characters but they are getting slimmed down. Sad to see Doctor Senator die as I could have easily enjoyed him the entire season. But he was stability and reason so I can see why he had to go. I know some goons were talking about Rabbi having a scheme but this ep seemed to back up that maybe he just legit wants this kid to not grow up like he did. I have a hunch what role Mormon Raylan is going to play but Fargo does like to mix it up sometimes. Still feel for OCD/PTSD crooked cop.... dude just can't catch a break. Still wonder why that one goon Calamita is still alive. I feel like both him and Gaetano should have had a bullet in them day one but at least Gaetano has the excuse of being the brother of the "top" guy. I am fairly sure Loy Cannon would have offed them both quick. I may be alone but I like the job Chris Rock has been doing. Feel like he is fairly solid in his role and really like Loy's plays. He's got a two wild west outlaws as independent contractors and a mortician in his pocket to dispose of the bodies. Still wonder how murdernurse will play into all of this. Good season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PerilPastry posted:

easily best episode of the season so far

Yeah. That moved along nicely.

Also the whole "I'm the bull and you are the snake" speech was almost heartwarming. I'm still rooting for Loy and the crew but the Italians keep growing on me. Gaetano could be some scary rear end muscle to have.

Odis makes me sad. I want him to overcome but the guy is doomed. RIP Mormon Raylan

The World Inferno posted:

More evidence Cannon's son is gonna grow up to be Mike :,)

I really like this and hope this is canon. Also thinking about how Josto's revelation gave some more depth to Rabbi and his decision.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

romanowski posted:

I liked the Mike Milligan secret origin story stuff and wish it was tied to an otherwise more interesting or meaningful season
Texas size ten four. That final scene with him in the car made me sad again. Poor Mike... thought he would become a king and ends up generic employee in a cube farm.

I rewatched S3 a few months ago and I think it holds up a lot better than ya'll are remembering. It doesn't hit the high of the second season, but there's a lot of really fun stuff there.

Hard agree here. The 'supernatural force majeure' character is a staple in these shows, and it's a bummer they didn't go all the way with the nurse being that or giving her some backstory to explain the motivation. General concept was a fine starting point, and Jesse Buckley was *perfect* for it, but the lack of that depth or prowess was a detriment.

Same thing with the ghost story. Either keep it stupid vague like S2 with the aliens or stick to the logic you've created. No idea why the vengeful spirit trying to kill Smutey's kept saving them.
I just rewatched the entire bloody show leading into this last episode and... Season 3 still holds up. Is it as good as Season 1 and 2? No. Season 2 was brilliant. My only gripe about Season 2 is that it left me wanting to see more of Hanzee and Mike Milligan. I thought I remembered people loving Season 3 in the Fargo thread even if it was less than the love for Season 1 and 2. I don't even mind Mr Wrench killing Emmit, although I might not have chosen that way myself. Season 3 had Minsky the Robot, good acting by a fairly good cast, a decent narrative, several good action scenes and pretty much everything involving the Cossack. Ending was bleak but... that's Fargo. Granted I just finished binging the whole season this past weekend.

Season 4 had some cool things and moments but, like most of you have said, didn't really do anything cohesive with them. Bums me out a bit as I liked so many of the individual elements contained therein. Josto and Gaetano, Doctor Senator, Horny Murder Nurse, Bonnie and notClyde, Satchel and the Rabbi, Mormon Rayland Givens, OCD PTSD Detective, Ghost Hauntings, Wild West and early 20th Century Crime fading away to the new Modern Crime Syndicate. Lots of stuff. Even the bits about Cannon trying to move away from the small time neighbourhood crime boss (held down by institutionalized racism) and into something respectable and more solid internationally was a nice theme.... although him trying to sell someone on an actual modern looking credit card was a bit too much. The part where Loy talked about how all of these gangsters were the outcasts of proper American society was really spot on; just wild dogs fighting for scraps the masters tossed them. I wanted more of that. I could have watched an entire season of Rabbi and young Mike riding around "Road to Perdition" style. Go watch the 2002 movie Road to Perdition btw. So many cool things and characters that just went nowhere. I enjoyed it alright but still the first season of Fargo I felt let down by. I don't blame the actors or even COVID as I'm not even sure if "the best season finale in the universe" could have wrapped all that mess up in a satisfying bow.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lord Krangdar posted:

That last shot where you finally see Mike would have been so much better if they showed him passing by the "The Future Is Now" sign again, but worn from time. Without that awful overlay of him as a child.

gently caress.... that faded "Future is Now" sign would have been so beautiful and I'm sad it didn't happen.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Disappointing season overall. I can't express my points as well as other have already, but i found myself saying "what's was the point?" a few times. Like with the two cops deaths. They felt like complete wastes of characters to me, like they weren't exploited fully. Compare to the two hitmen in season 1, where I think they played a smaller role, but didn't feel wasted at all. Or the supermarket storyline, even though it didn't tie into the main plot it still felt good and complete.

I'm rewatching the whole series, halfway through 2 right now. 1 is extremely good. I remember liking 3, or at least hating...Vargas was it?

VM Varga. Yeah he was utterly loathsome but compelling. You spent a good chunk of the season just waiting for him to get his. The ending of Season 3... with both the former Chief and Varga making their speeches. Chief says he will finally get justice and pay for his crimes just like you, the viewer wants, but it feels a bit rote and hollow. Varga makes his speech mocking her (and you really) and gloating how he will be let go and nothing will happen to him. You don't want it to be true and you hate the guy and punch his smug gross face. Then comes the door. Nothing happens but just the camera looking at the door and silence. I know it was only a minute or two but man that part filled me with such dread. You don't really know what happens and it messes with your mind as every second makes her speech even more hollow and his gloating feel just inevitable. I know it seems silly to spoiler the end of Season 3 but I want people to get the same gut punch I felt if it's been a while for them. Loved that ending. Bleak as gently caress. But then you remember the bowling alley and maybe you just hope Varga finds himself there one day, just like the Cossack. It might not feel like enough for now but should it be? Should we feel silly asking for more comeuppance in this world? What if you don't believe in an afterlife? Questions like that are why I dig this show but the Minsky and S3 ending are so loving bleak. I live in fear that I am secretly Minsky the robot.

Also agree that Season 1 is just so solid and nothing wasted. My Season rankings from best to worst are always 2, 1, 3, 4 with nothing against seasons 1 through 3 as all three are great.

Arist posted:

I really liked the way that last scene was presented: he's still just that same little boy, forever changed, practicing reloading his gun. The biggest issue with Satchel becoming Mike for me was generally that Satchel was rather unemotional and guarded, while Mike was a very cool and larger-than-life figure. But that last scene contextualizes the transformation: Mike is a performance, a defense mechanism. Satchel's still in there, but he's buried under layers of affectation meant to protect him.

I assumed it was him heading to the "final showdown" at the motel. Your analysis of the persona of Mike Milligan is just so good I just want to post it again. 100% the way I feel. Goes back to Satchel watching his dad die. His dad who, a few episodes before argued with the Rabbi that it wasn't dog eat dog as they are men and not dogs. <sigh>

Season two is a *masterpiece*, what with how large the cast is yet well fleshed out and realized. Even rewards rewatching, as minor characters get their moments to shine before they meet their maker.

Three doesn't quite live up to that, but you have Ray Wise as "The Wandering Jew", Vargas who's looks like an omnipresent baddie who's actually just great Googling things, the cop who can't be detected by electronics (love love that gag), an extended chase episode with Wrench and Swanko in the woods that's dope as hell, and a brotherly quarrel that's pretty down to earth.

In all they do at least weave together a lot smoother than this last one. & the whole post-truth theme hits hard given... *hand gestures*.

Fargo makes me get mad at other tv shows for not coming up with as many interesting characters/situations. Heck, I think this season had brilliant set pieces, we just didn't get as many great scenes w/ them interlacing.
100% agree on all of this. Zahn McClarnon and Bokeem Woodbine are the exceptional standouts of Season 2 but Season 2 is also insanely well put together and solid on all fronts. Not a bad performance from anyone.

Also hilarious that I feel the same way about how it makes me mad at other shows. I've seen so many shows that just fail to create guys even half as entertaining.