Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fartington Butts posted:

Double post several days later. I'm watching Season 2 again, I never got far into it while it was airing, and I noticed something... do any of the previous seasons use the Fargo theme as much as Season 4 did? They play it a lot in the intro/outro of episodes in S4.

didn't they hold off on using it until the Doctor Senator episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

El Jeffe posted:

Anyway, I haven't seen season 4. How does it compare with the others?

it has its moments but I dunno it doesn't quite feel as coherent as the first three

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

Bokeem/Mike might be the best in the whole series, hard act to follow.

yeah the way he goes from an almost cheerful "pretty unfriendly actually" to the switchblade unfolding "like you're doing me a favor" is A++++

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
He's also Gabi's rear end in a top hat boyfriend in American Vandal season 1

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Roy is an absolute monster but on balance Lorraine probably causes way more suffering than he does. It's just abstracted and at a remove

like she hasn't murdered or beaten or sexually abused anyone but she pounces on people when they're down and extracts what little wealth they have without pity. and she does this at scale.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
this is the first Fargo season without a character connected to another season, yeah? Not that it suffers for it but that's interesting

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TraderStav posted:

New season of greys anatomy drops in March.

the ship of theseus of hospital dramas

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Dot telling Munch he has a choice and Munch accepting that contrasts nicely with Carla Jean Moss telling Anton Chigurh the same thing and Chigurh dismissing it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Onomarchus posted:

I was dumbfounded by that, and I thought it suffered. Or at least I was really let down. I'm not counting Jason Schwartzman doing narration since that's not being in it, though it's a nice touch since having a character from a past season do narration is common here. I learned on Wikipedia about the picture of the woman from the movie being in the dream sequence, but I don't think that counts either. I was expecting--and since no one had shown up yet even in the last few minutes, I was really hoping--that at the very end...

So I think the gas station where Witt talks to Danish is the same one (or at least has the same name and was renovated) as the one Ed makes calls from in Season 2. Might be wrong there

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Munch, in absolute psychic pain, shaking his head "no" when asked if he knows that monkeys can drive cars

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

thehoodie posted:

Well, in the end the most terrifying villain is actually Lorraine

though Roy is an absolute monster, Lorraine is responsible for vastly more harm than Roy and she'll never get her comeuppance

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

She's also not a villain! She is obviously a flawed person but a (possibly anti-)hero in the context of the story. She is the favourite character of every woman I know who has watched this series. She has all the best lines, it's incredibly satisfying watching her belittle both Tillman and those dudes from the bank, and if you're not rooting for her in every scene from like the middle onwards then you're not letting yourself get swept up in the spirit of the show.

I feel like this is Skyler White all over again.

edit: also for a show so obviously, like, trying to be a bit artsy and not some comic book style whatever, has anyone else noticed the general discourse about this get to comic book levels of dumb, using the same kind of video game style language and logic to discuss it? I've seen tons of posts on Reddit that are like 'I didn't like series 3 because Vargas was too overpowered', like it's a shonen anime or something. Marvel has ruined everything. Imagine people bieng like 'season 1 of The Wire didn't work for me because Avon Barksdale was too OP'

I'm not saying she's a villain because woman, like folks did with Skyler White, I'm saying she's a villain because she directly profits off the immiseration of others. It's extremely enjoyable watching her get one over on Tillman and the bank dudes. But she should also be in Superjail

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
a piece of media making you root for and somewhat like a villainous monster is pretty common. they do it a bunch of times in previous seasons of Fargo alone

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Malvo is super fun! I mean he's basically Satan but he's playful about it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Lorraine destroying the banker is a great scene but like, just on a baseline level she absolutely ruins this man's life and the lives of his family for her own profit. If it was just him that's one thing, but she goes out of her way to use her immense power to crush his innocent children.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah he's a cop and a child rapist (although that part may not be well publicized), historically not gonna do well in prison even before the entire cell block is paid off to brutalize him

he probably had a chance initially because even with that stacked against him he's extremely brutal and comfortable in this sort of environment. probably was able to form a small power bloc pretty quickly

but that's all gone now. Lorraine is straight-up paying most/all of the prison a not-insignificant amount of money to make his life hell forever. he has nothing to offer to top that.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

bobjr posted:

I’m kind of surprised the FBI agents made it though the season. I figured they’d be a late season death over Farr

I thought them and the SWAT team leader were gonna get got but no it turns out his whole "I was in a firefight yesterday" thing was indicative of how easy the fight was gonna be

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

GolfHole posted:

I also love Danish but I don't agree he found his balls at the end exclusively, he's always shown to be really effective.
He's an oddity for sure -- in the sense that nobody shot him years ago.

he operated in an old-school Republican world -- he's a member of a protected class who uses every loophole and exception he can to enrich himself and his patron and harm others. If a law inconveniences him he gets it changed. Violence in his world is only visited upon the poor and the type of criminal who can't or won't navigate the law the way he and Lorraine do. He went up against Roy, a MAGA Republican motivated by grievance and emotion who cares purely about power in a very primal sense. Danish didn't realize this and it got him killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

Doctor Senator is one of the greatest character names in a show already full of excellently-named characters. We must give credit where due.

that scene in the first episode where the Faddas and Cannons face off and they have everyone's name on screen is great for this. Opal Rackley! Constant Calamita! Antoon Dumini! Mars Freeman!