Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The writing is still not quite as snappy as it was in the early seasons. The FBI subplot and the rather tortured analogy about the sparrow culling just feels like something that would've been done so much more elegantly before. This season is mostly helped by just having a better cast and a more overall interesting/captivating set of scenarios than S4 which has made it fun to watch even as I wince at some of the lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's always one or two things that go clunk for me, and it's usually when the show brings in these really minor side characters and tries to characterise them really quickly and it just becomes terrible for whatever reason. That really blunt monologue from the lovely husband last week, and random "that's capitalism!" car dealer guy who spent way too long underlining themes. Yeah, we got what was going on guys, you can be less broad. Only real complaint.
Again I think the dialogue is just not as sharp as it used to be, or at least is leaning super heavily into a "I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards" cadence which whether intentional or not leads to it sometimes feeling a little clunky and blunt.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Solid final episode that is heavily buoyed by one of the strongest final scenes I can think of from Fargo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't feel like Witt getting killed because of his "debt" is a bad end to the character as it fits with the themes of the season. I mostly just wish it had been executed differently because even with that in mind it's difficult to simultaneously decouple it from the frustration of "JUST SHOOT HIM". To say nothing of how the character just kind of felt undercooked in general.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TheBizzness posted:

I’m through episode 7 of season 4 and though it took me a couple episodes this season is good as hell?
There's a certain point where you can more or less immediately tell that the production got all hosed up from Covid and it sadly persists all the way to the end. The season has some ups and downs prior to that but then its endgame and finale are just really rough.