Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Really fun season so far. It went a bit off the rails in the last episode with the cops checking every corpse drawer except for the one with the convicts and also I don't think ipecac makes you fart it's only ever made me puke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CBJSprague24 posted:

Still working through Episode 3, but it's the zany/wacky facets of this show that knock it down a peg for me, such as the outlaws' dueling farts in the coffin. Why does the robbery scene have to involve one of them making GBS threads themselves?

I agree with this being pretty awful and unnecessary even for the plot (what ipecac makes you poo poo yourself?). I don't think the show is up its own rear end though. It's more about mythical American story telling. I sound like I'm up my own rear end describing it that way but what I mean is that everyone in Fargo are big personalities. Every single one. They're extremes and every scene sounds like someone telling a story by saying "and let me tell you what happened next" over and over.

It's boisterous and a little stuck up but I don't think it ruins the fun. Wes Anderson/Coen Brothers crossbleed in being pretentious while also being stupid is endearing in its own right.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Every season of Fargo has owned including this one and I don't know why people itt are being lovely untowards it

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bunky posted:

I'm less into this season personally because of the ham-fisted bad guy who keeps making Scooby Doo villain eyes every time he thinks about crimes.

I'm actually loving Gaetano. The over-the-top mannerisms fit the style just as much as quirky Jason Schwartzman mob boss. It's also not any different than measured bad guys that produce cool lines like Chris Rock's character Doctor Senator. Like every time Doctor Senator launched into a monologue I was just thinking there's no way other crime dudes would sit there patiently without interrupting.

Fargo's been about big personalities ever since the movie. I think Gaetano fits and comes off as pretty intimidating.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hyrax Attack! posted:

My take on Josto and Gaetano is that neither should be running the family, as Josto lacks the ability to plan, isn’t imposing, and frequently distracted, while Gaetano is hyper aggressive and fearless but only wants to attack constantly. Neither is a good replacement for their father, but they are so bound by tradition they can’t get a better leader, as Rabbi is out for obvious reasons.

Yeah when Gaetano was talking to his brother he seemed smarter than Josto ever could be. Sussed out Chris Rock's plan to split them apart and chose to let someone else lead for the good of the group.. That alone should qualify him over Josto but as the show depicts his character it's pretty obvious to the audience that if Gaetano came into power he'd run everything into the ground due to his anger.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pizza Segregationist posted:

I like Oraetta as a character a lot, and I like the drums on the soundtrack this season. But I have had a hard time getting immersed when Chris Rock is on the screen. Maybe I’m just too used to him as a comedian but I have never felt the intimidating presence I feel like the show wants to project from him. The shootout at the train station was shocking though, I did not expect the massacre or for Odis to start murdering people. My least favorite season so far but I’m still engrossed

I totally agree with Chris Rock. He's not intimidating, he's not believable, and he was totally miscast. It's like him and Doctor Senator should have swapped roles.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Binged through the whole season and was completely let down by the writing and editing of the last episode. Why build up the stand off between the militia and FBI if you're going to show it in the worst way possible with 20 black out cuts?. It was unbelievably frustrating that the sheriff is dead to rights from Dot and the FBI interrupts it, lets the guy just wander off, doesn't follow him with more than one person when he's the main target, and then the idiot cop just gets himself offed in the dumbest way possible. Such strong writing completely ruined.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Would recommend reading the older posts in this thread over the past couple pages, the creator has talked at length a lot about why they made these choices. And all that has been discussed at length here too.

tl;dr, Fargo is not a show that glorifies violence. Personally I enjoyed that the time was better spent watching 20 minutes of Midwestern Nice trample over Olde Time Vengeance.

I think there's way more satisfying ways to not glorify violence than 20 black out jump cuts

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CatstropheWaitress posted:

"Satisfying" is in the eye of the beholder, but really the only people involved in the gun fight were the fbi agents and a bunch of nameless mooks. Maybe Jon Hamm could have participated in it, but like, what would you get out of actually seeing the shoot out?

I think the way they did it robbed the militia a "glorious death", and that's better. I guess you could show it as gruesome, but even then I don't think that's time well spent vs. where it was.

I'm talking about the cinematography of it, not the point of the scene. I get that the ending was supposed to be deflating and non-cathartic. I would have just shown the mooks dying in the background without a lot of fanfare than the quick I got you oh nevermind lead up through a bunch of black outs. It felt rushed, not particularly creative, and frustrating in a way that seems more of a Rian Johnson gotcha than clever commentary.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Arist posted:

The cuts to black communicate that it's chaos, but also that the chaos is utterly irrelevant. Nothing happening in the shootout matters, it entirely involves people we do not know.

It's honestly very efficient storytelling to communicate that it's unimportant.

I think that's just an opinion, not a fact. Again I think people get the point that it's non-cathartic it's not some clever set up that a keen eye has to find. It's just unsatisfactory story telling, in my opinion.

Also the show might not want to glorify violence, but it absolutely does with how they portray who commits the violence. Where they end up is irrelevant if people gun down everyone all cool and badass like. If it was the director's intent to show that none of it matters why show the violence coherently with all the other scenes in this season? The Welsh guy taking out random schmucks on the ranch, for instance, occurs off screen but it quite obviously occurs in the viewers' mind. Seemed inconsistent to me.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 23, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Wafflecopper posted:

*posts opinion*
*somebody posts a different opinion*

"well that's just your opinion"

Yeah I said that because I gave my interpretation of how I felt about the end of the season and it felt like he was trying to lecture in his posts like what he was saying was fact.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Grumbles posted:

Yes this. The shootout isn't about the fight between two sides, it's about Tillman specifically, and so the editorial choices underscore that he ( and what he represents in the context of American contemporary politics and mythmaking) doesn't deserve any kind of 'epic' resolution.
Although I really liked this season, if anything my one criticism is that it feels less like a meditation on America (like all the previous seasons) and more like a pointed rebuke towards Trump/Arpio/alt-right America. Which like, I don't disagree with, but it ends up feeling very didactic.

Again that point is missing the other point that people get that it was supposed to be non-cathartic. This isn't a brain wracker here. It's that they shot the non-cathartic stuff unsatisfactory for people who wanted the non-cathartic stuff. There are so many ways to deflate the situation than blinking black outs. That's frustrating in a way that isn't clever. It's poor cinematography in our opinion.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Lorraine is obviously evil and views Dot as a possession needing protection by the end of the season. The 1 year later of her and Tillman was kind of a weird if you don't view it as her just being a vindictive billionaire.

matureaudiencesonly posted:

In the first episode I laughed at how bad her accent was, then it grew on me, then at the end I thought it stood out as horribly bad again. Indiria’s husband won the award for most distracting terrible accent though.

Yeah JJL is a great actress but she couldn't do that accent to save her life. It kept breaking whenever her dialogue went for a while.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I didn't think Munch was going to do anything to Dot at the beginning of the scene. The action already felt deflated by that point and I don't think there was much of a thematic reason for him to kill her outside of a pessimistic view on the world.

Tillman's ending was kind of predictable from the onset. Maybe not the exact specifics of Lorraine but I doubted from the get go that he was going to come out ahead at all once they made him as evil as they did. There's not providing catharsis to the viewer and then there's actively pissing people off by having someone so cartoonishly evil win in the end. I think there was way better ways for him to lose than how they set it up though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah definitely agree with that. Lorraine's storyline ends on a bad note because she's no better than Tillman even though she thinks she is. Dot's story is about forgiving and enduring. She ends on a victory because she saved Munch instead of holding on to anger.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think I'm changing my mind on the season finale. I was initially frustrated watching it but it was a nice and satisfying ending outside of Witt being an idiot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ChesterJT posted:

He absolutely was and the deflated action was the entire point and source of the tension. You thought everything was over and settled, time for the happy family to get their happy ending, and then there's Munch. I wouldn't call it pessimism, a man has a code.

I meant more from a storytelling viewpoint. I assume writers have a tough time killing someone you've been cheering for after 300 pages. I didn't think the writers had the reason or the gall to have Munch kill Dot at the end even though they're trying to set up that all of it isn't over yet tension.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Danish was an evil, arrogant minion of a billionaire. He thought Tillman was a nothing poor person like every other person he ran around bullying for Lorraine. He probably lived so long not worrying about ever facing retribution that he became lazy. He was definitely trying to solve the whole problem like he always did in the past but he finally had to face someone that wasn't easily threatened or cowed.

In a way the scene felt a lot like a battle of consequences. Lorraine and Danish operated in a world that if you don't do X you'll be punished by Y. Tillman lived in a world where he could do whatever he want regardless of what led up to the moment or what happened afterwards.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I feel like that's a fairly straight forward interpretation?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Grumbles posted:

He engages with Tillman in that way not because he sees him as a 'nothing poor person' (wild take imo) but because he incorrectly sees him as another political chess piece on the board. But he obviously recognises that Tillman has a modicum of power, he just has a pre-populist view of Tillman's own relationship with that power. None of that would make sense if he saw him as a 'nothing poor person'.
Buoyed by his successful dismantling to Tillman's career, he assumes he can use this as leverage. But the very idea of 'leverage' is something that only exists if people recognise the same set of rules and power structures, which Tillman doesn't give a poo poo about

it's about Trump

I don't think that's a wild take. He's a billionaire's lap dog. They live completely different lives than millionaires, which Tillman is. He's a local sheriff, not a senator or governor. It felt like Danish was there just bullying another person for Lorraine who was insignificant in their world.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah I've been rewatching all the seasons too. V.M. Varga is the most overpowered villain then Lorne Malvo then Mike Milligan then Tillman. The dumbest cops are Shea Whigham -> Bob Odenkirk -> All the cops at the motel shootout -> Witt. Smartest cops are Glorial Burgle -> Molly Solverson -> Lou Solverson -> Witt. Haven't rewatched season 4 yet.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Season 4 is a departure from the formula. It's sides pitted against each other with a bunch of nebulous characters instead of having a clear villain and hero. They moved away from the cops having one rear end in a top hat and one likeable person into both cops being assholes. There's also a lot of plots going on compared to the other seasons between the mafioso power struggle, the nurse, the outlaw sister, etc. Then of course the setting is a completely different time period.

It doesn't even really feel like a Fargo aesthetic and could easily have any named attached to it rather than Fargo. I think as a standalone it's fine but attaching Fargo to it put too many expectations on the story beats so people get polarized in their opinion on it. I liked the season fair enough but it was really offputting having farting and diarrhea be essential plot points several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm almost done with the rewatch of S4.

Chris Rock is awful. Just plain awful. I forgot how bad he was on the first watch. He can't deliver any lines convincingly and he's not intimidating in the least. It was a terrible casting for what the character is supposed to be.

They should have swapped the sides storylines. Schwartzman could have played Chris Rocks role way better and Chris Rock could have been useable as an unconvincing leader trying to grab power. Or at the very least they should have axed Schwartzman's character and just had Gaitano as the psycho leader and it would have been way more effective.