Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
goldmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

Owling Howl posted:

Not really a fan of Lorraine's prison rape revenge ploy. It's perhaps supposed to be ironic that Roy's toxic masculinity is subjected to total subjugation and humliation but just as a general rule I feel like we should try to avoid that particular trope.

You’re not supposed to be a fan of it. Lorraine is not given a redemption arc, this is to illustrate she was and remains a horrible person.

If you are hootin and hollerin for a person paying for someone to be raped and tortured I invite you to do some serious soul searching.

This is without even considering the means and circumstances which allow her to do this.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Clear argument? This isn't a high school debate.

But to answer a question, again, yes, Lorraine is wrong. Paying to have a person raped and tortured is bad.

I refuse to believe this needs to be explained so congratulations on successfully baiting me.

Again

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

I gotta say that I didn't feel like Shwartzman had the chops to be in that season. His performance felt really flat. I don't think he has the depth or range do to a Fargo . I spent the whole time thinking 'you're Jason Shwartzman'.

Ok hear me out.

I’m fairly certain the acting quality was a deliberate choice. Rock ain’t a great actor, but he isn’t that bad. Shwartzman is a good actor and definitely isn’t that bad.

I remember being super excited to discuss this new meta angle hawley was taking that season when it aired but like only one other goon had a similar thought and everyone else panned it.

I love you other deranged goon! You were right!

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

timp posted:

:):respek::) That might have been me I think!

My take at the time was that Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman weren’t nearly as intimidating as they acted like they were, but it sort of made sense in a way because hey, this isn’t NYC or LA we’re seeing here, it’s Kansas City. And IIRC both characters were replacing older, more established and respected characters near the beginning of the season.

So yeah, they’re not S-tier big city goons, they’re B-tier medium city goons trying to act tough.

Whether or not it “worked” is still probably up for debate, but that was at least my justification for the casting.

EDIT: This thread is actually the S4 thread repurposed so I went back and found my original take:

Hell yeah bro! I didn't draw the geographical line but that's a great point.

In regards to the characters, exactly. To expound, not only are they not cut out for the roles life has cast them in, their hearts aren't in it. I I feel like that bled thru wonderfully in the actual performances. Both of the characters and the real actors.

Did it work? I loved it. Otoh the dude right after you blasted Rock. lol chef kiss either way from me