Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Sindai posted:

The first episode has been subbed and it's pretty interesting. Clearly Godzilla has happened before but for some reason nobody remembers it.

Maybe they found the old bones/preserved carcass only and it happened thousands of years ago?

Good first ep IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sindai posted:

The first episode has been subbed and it's pretty interesting. Clearly Godzilla has happened before but for some reason nobody remembers it.

Gridman???

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, Jet Jaguar and Gridman are both based on Ultraman, and Evangelion based Jet Alone on Jet Jaguar.

That said, I doubt all of this is a simulation.

Good first episode, but it definitely felt more like the opening act to a movie than like a standalone episode, if that makes any sense. We get a lot of character building to understand the core cast, but nothing is resolved, the two leads (according to the posters) are still operating independently, and the giant monster stuff is only just starting. It feels like it's leaning a little on the series reputation to ensure viewers stick around.

And you know what?

It works. Getting time to actually get attached to the characters lets the monster stuff feel like it's weird and exciting, rather than a default for something with Godzilla on the title card.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The first episode is really interesting and Shin-like, but the second episode is what sold me on this whole project.

Hell yeah Jet Jaguar, get their asses! Can't wait for you to become fully self aware

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Burkion posted:

The first episode is really interesting and Shin-like, but the second episode is what sold me on this whole project.

Hell yeah Jet Jaguar, get their asses! Can't wait for you to become fully self aware

I suspect if he is at any point, it might be with the dog AI. Keeps the AI benefits while allowing it to be a character the viewer already has an opinion on.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Weird show. Nice visuals and very appealing main cast, that robots got super awkward stubby little legs but maybe they’ll get longer. It feels oddly sophisticated for a show about monsters fighting robots, what with all the academia and historical references.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I was a little surprised by the Gregor Samsa reference myself.

I'm curious about where this is going. So far I'm more into this than I was with Urobuchi's animated take.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
My 8 yr old son is pissed that the whole thing isn’t already up on netflix, I had to have a discussion about how anime is produced and the eng dub etc etc

Kids these days man, I survived years of naruto filler!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I was a little surprised by the Gregor Samsa reference myself.

I'm curious about where this is going. So far I'm more into this than I was with Urobuchi's animated take.

Yeah stuff like that and where the dude in the first episode is reading off a list of the books in the library and remarking on algebraic topology, plus one of the protagonists having a paper published in the second episode with the help of her AI assistant that credits itself as a co author... this series is definitely written by someone who either spent a long time in grad school or is just very taken with academia.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ccs posted:

Weird show. Nice visuals and very appealing main cast, that robots got super awkward stubby little legs but maybe they’ll get longer. It feels oddly sophisticated for a show about monsters fighting robots, what with all the academia and historical references.

Jet Jaguar is supposed to be a robot on par with Godzilla. This is very, very obviously a crappy early prototype, and not the final design.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I assumed they're going to take apart those cranes they conveniently just got to give it new arms and legs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dammit lady, why would you willingly install BonziBuddy?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

Dammit lady, why would you willingly install BonziBuddy?

Looking at the timeline, she probably wasn't born when it came out the first time. She didn't know.

The same history.

The same mistakes.

Over and over again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The joke about the young scientist not knowing what an overhead projector was made me crumble to dust.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I love that the ED is full of references to the Godzilla franchise as a whole. It's really cool getting to see (even if only briefly) anime versions of Biollante, Mechagodzilla Kiryu, King Caesar, etc.

I'm also certain that a lot of the human characters being shown during the ED are actually from old Godzilla movies, too, but unfortunately they're not quite as easy to identify as kaiju.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1381783170782138369?s=20

So it’s really gonna be the most pointless Netflix Jail huh? The other fan subs (which release a week after the episode airs) might actually be finished like a day before depending on when they decide to finally release the whole thing.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Koirhor posted:

My 8 yr old son is pissed that the whole thing isn’t already up on netflix, I had to have a discussion about how anime is produced and the eng dub etc etc

Kids these days man, I survived years of naruto filler!

I can relate with your child on this.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Good lord this is such an eggheaded anime

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

goblin week posted:

I know, it's great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's pretty interesting. I guess the kaiju are coming from a universe that operates under different rules.

Astonishingly, until seeing the ED I never realized Godzilla backwards is all iz dog.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Surprising news about Godzilla himself in this anime, as revealed by new toys: The Titanosaurus-looking creature seen in some of the promotional material is actually a form of Godzilla called Godzilla Aquatilis. Apparently kaiju having an initial form that looks unlike their traditional appearance (as seen with the Rodans in episodes 1 and 2 versus episode 3) is going to be a recurring element, but I didn't expect to see an effective Godzilla/Titanosaurus design fusion. I assume they initially considered featuring Titanosaurus but instead decided to incorporate aspects of its design (the head and tail fin, the antennae, the coloration) into Godzilla's initial form for this show.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

goblin week posted:

I love it. Hash functions being a key part of an episode. :allears:

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Wait are hash functions really named after hash browns? :psyduck:

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
It seems like the people behind Godzilla Singular Point were inspired by those articles about how Godzilla is physically impossible and made a show about geniuses who are well aware that giant monsters can't exist and are therefore very curious when giant monsters show up anyway.

Basically, whereas Godzilla vs Kong barely explained anything about the energy source that was the central to the plot, Godzilla Singular Point is going all in on attempting to justify the made-up science to an extent beyond anything a Godzilla franchise entry has ever done before.

I bet by the end they're going to use Archetype to give Jet Jaguar impossible size-changing and self-upgrading powers. They did mention Archetype can self-replicate, right?

EDIT: So I just learned the screenwriter of Godzilla Singular Point, Toh EnJoe, actually has an impressive academic background:

quote:

Born in 1972 in Sapporo. He graduated from the physics department of Tohoku University, then went on to the graduate school at University of Tokyo and received Ph.D. for a mathematical physical study on the natural languages. He worked as a post-doc researcher at several research institutes for seven years, then abandoned the academic career in 2007 and found a job as a at a software firm, which he left in 2008 to become a full-time writer.

Godzilla Singular Point is his first time as a screenwriter for an entire show, and his only previous works for anime were writing two episodes of Space Dandy: "I'm Never Remembering You, Baby" and "An Other Dimensional Tale, Baby".

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 24, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I finally caught up to the show and man this is a keeper. It's certainly a slow build up but that's making it more interesting than if it was a flat out disaster series. Seeing the situation slowly getting worse while people are trying to manage it is really engaging and I can't wait to see poo poo really start to hit the fan.

And yeah, it's great that it's so far mostly about a bunch of scientists trying to figure out how these impossible things are happening and spitballing about theoretical physics.

Most importantly though, I really love Mei's constant grumpy pout. It's such a small thing but it seriously adds a huge amount of character to someone who could just be a generic smart person. This series knows how to add something to a character to make them memorable and you love to see it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I normally don't think much of writers that come from STEM backgrounds, but I think EnJoe's writing here has honestly been pretty good so far. Like it compares favorably to the work of someone like Shane Carruth to me (Beyond fact that that dude turned out to be lovely abuser), whose characters are so much more lifeless than the ones here. The science-y discussions actually flow well here too and feel cleanly integrated into the narrative, and not something that just fills time or pointlessly obfuscates the story or basic character motivations (Which is how Primer often felt to me).

Like worst thing I can say about Godzilla SP is that the literary references are a bit on the nose, but even those are recurring enough that they might be part of some kind of thematic statement the show ends up making.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 1, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Poor Jet Jaguar seems destined to be manhandled kaijuhandled throughout the series but at least it looks like he's getting upgrades..

Is that MechaGodzilla behind him?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Poor Jet Jaguar seems destined to be manhandled kaijuhandled throughout the series but at least it looks like he's getting upgrades..

Is that MechaGodzilla behind him?

It's the one from the millineum era, "Kiryu". He's from Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla and Godzilla X Mechagodzilla X Mothra: Tokyo SOS

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Good to see he can still do the head spin.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

ZZZorcerer posted:

Maybe they found the old bones/preserved carcass only and it happened thousands of years ago?

Good first ep IMO

It doesn't fit with Godzilla's normal origins of nuclear stuff, but some Godzilla vs. Romans or something set in ancient times would be a fun change of pace from seeing him get slightly annoyed by fighter jets and whatnot. The high-tech sci-fi take of the other fairly recent Godzilla anime was good too, but I think going the other way with it has its own appeal.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

It doesn't fit with Godzilla's normal origins of nuclear stuff, but some Godzilla vs. Romans or something set in ancient times would be a fun change of pace from seeing him get slightly annoyed by fighter jets and whatnot. The high-tech sci-fi take of the other fairly recent Godzilla anime was good too, but I think going the other way with it has its own appeal.

The scale of Godzilla in ancient times is so awesome to think about. Keep it strictly from the human perspective and you could clearly see it being a true God Myth in the making.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The ED is full with references to the movies

:3:

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 6, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now if only that movie was any good. Tokyo SOS is fine but G against Mecha G kinda sucks.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
OP single is out

https://open.spotify.com/album/5dzWaqOsX25ouCjT7eVfW9

There is a new MV for this from toho which spoils a shitton of content, so watch out if you don't want surprises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXd4ZwDivsc

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Fansubs I was using went to complete poo poo, which is a death-knell for a dialogue-heavy show, so I guess I'm waiting for Netflix.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Fansubs I was using went to complete poo poo, which is a death-knell for a dialogue-heavy show, so I guess I'm waiting for Netflix.

what happened

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Burkion posted:

what happened

Read like they'd put the script through an early version of Google Translate. I could only understand half of what the dialogue was really saying, and much of that was only via on-screen context.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what, moyaisubs e6? seemed fine to me.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what, moyaisubs e6? seemed fine to me.

That's the fansubs I've been using, and they've been fine. Not that I'd really be able to notice mistranslations given how dense the techobabble in this show is, but I haven't spotted any glaring grammatical errors at least.

On the topic of technobabble, I feel like this is one of the few shows that does it really well. I'm not a fan of dense exposition in most cases, but SP throws its (undoubtably bullshit) science at the viewers at such a high pace and with such style and confidence that it becomes an art of its own. The constant theorizing is never visually boring, and the writer clearly put a lot of thought into every aspect.

Show's good, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
This show does a remarkable job of juggling its plot lines, but there's one thing I think I missed: where's the facility with the kaiju trying to climb out of the giant red dust well? Is that the one in India they keep referencing?