Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Everybody here forgot about the Godzilla in the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I vote we replace 'elephant in the room' with 'Godzilla in the basement'.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Im going to cry for Jet Jaguar in the final episode, aren’t I? :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Attack on Titan would.have been better if it was Godzilla in the basement.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Attack on Titan would.have been better if it was Godzilla in the basement.

Attack on Titan would have been better if it was about Godzilla and Godzilla politics in general

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Im going to cry for Jet Jaguar in the final episode, aren’t I? :(

Oh goddamn they better not HE'S STILL JUST A BABY :cry:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I think I'm going to have to rewatch this show once it's all out, I feel like I've completely lost the thread of what's happening and why.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GodFish posted:

I think I'm going to have to rewatch this show once it's all out, I feel like I've completely lost the thread of what's happening and why.

Basically, the apocalypse is coming. At some point in the future, the calamity occurs, which makes the regular rules of space and time collapse, including the whole linear progression of time thing we've gotten lazy about expecting. Worse, that calamity makes an environment highly conductive to giant monsters who eat people, thus, you know. The giant monsters.

The main girl, Mei Kamino has been scouted by a conspiracy of sorts trying to save the world, because her focus on imaginary beings has left her with good insights into the functionality of the whole magic particle that rewrites physics. She's trying to basically Thanos everyone's problems away by using the power of the calamity to undue it before it starts, saving humanity. An oxygen destroyer looking device has been invented that might be key to doing that, but it needs a code to function properly.

The best chance of getting that code comes from the male lead, Yun Arikawa who's been hanging out with Jet Jaguar on the other side of the world. He's been researching a mad scientist type from decades back whose writing may have been key to deciphering all this, acting as a prophecy for the events of the show. He also invented the AI behind both Mei's dog-AI sidekick and Jet Jaguar. Right now, he's just about figured out that he's going to talk with Mei at length by instant message, possibly figuring out how to save humanity... or guaranteeing the doom to come.

Either way, they need to work fast, because Godzilla is growing by the day, and now he's coming right for SHIVA, the AI at the core of humanity's last hope.

Also, lots and lots of discussion of the weird poo poo that happens at the frontiers of physics.

That help at all?

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 13, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

You should spoiler all of that, honestly

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

chiasaur11 posted:

Either way, they need to work fast, because Godzilla is growing by the day, and now he's coming right for SHIVA, the AI at the core of humanity's last hope.

I thought its the other monster thats coming for SHIVA? Or are they both going there?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I thought its the other monster thats coming for SHIVA? Or are they both going there?

It's the tiger going for SHIVA, Godzilla's sitting on Tokyo Station.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Final episode talk: Holy poo poo, that was a wild ride. I completely love the style of the entire series. It seemed a little rushed towards the end, but that kind of added to the overall feeling of impending doom. JJPP (PP? What am I missing?) was great- and I loved how he went. Going back and watching the first few episodes after 12 it finally dawned on me that the children's voices at the beginning of the episodes were Pelops II's timeline branches talking with each other.

So it's interesting that it seems like Godzilla has gone back to it's dimension (or perhaps time slipped and died in the past?), but that Selunga was impaled yet again and looks drat dead this time, but it's body is still here. I would have liked to have seen more scenes from around the world where the Archetype red dust had been accumulating as well. All the Radons seemed to have disappeared also, just as the giant shadow Radon did a couple episodes ago. So since they dimension slipped as the final solution to prevent the catastrophe, there of course is the open possibility for the sequel, especially with that after credits scene.

I don't know if there will be a sequel series, but I sure hope there is one eventually. At the same time maybe it will go to a Toho produced manga or series of books.

Now I want to buy a UHD set.

Non-spoiler: there is a scene after the end credits, make sure you watch it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jet Jaguar PP means Punch Punch (Punch)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jet Jaguar PP means Punch Punch (Punch)

:hmmyes:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked Mei's infinity ouroboros shirt at the end.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 16, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The more I think about it the more I absolutely love that after credits scene and hope that this was popular enough to warrant a sequel because there are still so many unanswered questions. I love that we have really smart characters that aren’t too over the top tropes (well, within the Godzilla universe tropes). Godzilla being infested with meganurons was a fun surprise.

Things I am a bit disappointed in: not enough Hedorah action and I was hoping that the Mothras would play a part in the end but they just kind of disappeared before JJ did his thing. Also yes it was sad to see JJ meet their end.

If there is a sequel I really hope they go into a bit of biological explanation of some of the beasts.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Our boy JJ did us proud. :unsmith:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Wait, so Ashihara didn't think to like... check the song that's been coming out from every kaiju corpse and the spacetime donut?

It feels really weird because the song has been basically treated as a piece of the soundtrack rather than a diegetic thing for a while and everyone just shrugged I guess.

Also it's kinda weird to see Ashihara be a real alive person rather than the Background Guy like in Shin Godzilla

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

goblin week posted:

Wait, so Ashihara didn't think to like... check the song that's been coming out from every kaiju corpse and the spacetime donut?

It feels really weird because the song has been basically treated as a piece of the soundtrack rather than a diegetic thing for a while and everyone just shrugged I guess.

Also it's kinda weird to see Ashihara be a real alive person rather than the Background Guy like in Shin Godzilla

I got the impression that Ashihara had been trapped in the singular point all this time and when PP repaired the virtual boat he was finally able to find his way back to this world

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I think that Ashihara has always been there, but only particular people knew of it. For his own reasons he wanted the world to think he was dead. Or perhaps those engineers working on MG weren’t just wearing suits that resembled them but are actual Mysterions and Ashihara has been with them the entire time.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

goblin week posted:

Ashihara was researching it- the crystal radio setup he had in the secret room in his house was specifically was monitoring it. Also if he DID see the future all he knew that it was somehow relevant to the catastrophe but he didn’t know why or how as he didn’t know of the future existence of Jet Jaguar.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

To be fair, Ashihara literally had the Showa Era Mad Scientist background. A scientist shunned by his peers that disappears while pursuing his subject. It really shouldn’t be a surprise he returns with a mechagodzilla. But how about a robot daughter?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The PP stands for Pelos Two, right? Pelos Pelos?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

I thought the same. It'd make sense.

Also this was a really good series and I'm glad we got two concurrent super good toku anime. Can't wait for S2 featuring Mecha Godzilla.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I haven't been so much perplexed and frustrated at an ending since war of the worlds(2005). So a jump in the void from untold heights ends without a scratch to neither the occupants nor the truck. No consequences makes the story feels hollow. Also a magical program that defy any rule of science and saves the day seems a bit pulled from the writers rear end. Hopefully with such an open ending we will see S2.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

After show talk with cast - over 90 minutes. Of course, all in Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1FXK72xsII

They were showing off the Otaki Factory jackets and I'm still mad I missed the window on ordering those. Hopefully there will be another run of them.

Edit: around the 1:10 mark they seem to be talking with maybe the head of animation and they are showing some scenes being built including quick but really good shots of Godzilla Terrestis doing his first ring beam build up but without all of the red dust atmosphere so you can get a great look at him. Also Final form G shooting the beam.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 23, 2021

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

loved this, really good show.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh poo poo the merchandise being shown at the end of the show includes some stuff I'll be buying. They even have Mei's kaiju backpack and phone case coming.

Radon AND Pelops II plushes!!

edit: Godzilla SP battle card game coming september. Booster packs coming October

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 23, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
ANN got an interesting interview with the director and writer: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2021-06-23/the-science-of-kaiju-with-the-director-and-writer-of-godzilla-singular-point/.173773

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My advice for watching this for the newcomers: choose original Japanese with English subs; some of the lines in English have changed what a lot of characters say for no understandable reason. Also, frankly, the Japanese actors are better.

AND: :siren:There is a bonus scene after the credits of Episode 13 :siren:

Enjoy!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

All the science gobledygok sounds a lot more convincing in another language than in english too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you say so.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Radon udon now available

https://twitter.com/godzilla_sp/status/1408258653770059784?s=21

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/sunglasspri/status/1409383965060907009?s=21

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Watched it, loved it, didn't understand some stuff.

So where did the song come from? Did Pelops II send if from all around time and space? Is this a time loop of some sort?

How exactly did Jet Jaguar PP getting blown up by Godzilla stop the Catastrophe? I realize that Jet Jaguar PP's AI consciousness is the code, but I don't know what to do with that information. Did JJPP encode the Archetype that makes up its gigantic body?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
IIRC Jet Jaguar PP was able to finish the code that let the diagonalizer phase-shift all the archetype particles on Earth into a harmless state (blue crystals.) The bombs they were using to temporarily stop the India kaiju with red crystals were imperfect versions of the same thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, the way it works is as follows, to the best of my understanding.

The AI system was one designed by the scientist. It was some old tech that got resurfaced and evolved. The future is not fixed, but the closer you are to the future, the more certain it becomes. So, using that device, you can see the immediate future with some degree of accuracy, but if you go too far into the future it becomes all kinds of hosed.

All of the kaiju are singular points. They all want to be THE Singular Point- the future. They're different realities and potential futures vying to be the dominate one. The AI, having learned all it knows, goes back in time to when the machine was created and loops around, creating JJ PP. Because they know the future, they know what comes next, they're able to create a stable time loop and force Godzilla to be The Singular Point- but the act of making him the singular point involves using the OD to kill Godzilla and send him back in time. The AI encodes itself into the song that resonates from Godzilla's bones, ensuring that this all plays out like they know it will.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really want them to make a second season of this just to see where they go from that last scene in the final episode.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What a fantastic series. I'd call it the best of the past ten years if it weren't for Devilman: Cry Baby, and even then it's close.

Raxivace posted:

Yes, but also (guessing): Plural Points, reflecting Pero 2 reaching concordance with all of his alternate future selves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

What a fantastic series. I'd call it the best of the past ten years if it weren't for Devilman: Cry Baby, and even then it's close.

Interesting how much people can differ on these things.

I liked it too, but I felt like it wasn't my favorite show of its season (Odd Taxi) or even my favorite show where eccentric mech pilots fought kaiju (Dynazenon).

Mind saying some of what pushed it to the top for you? I can see a lot of good things about Singular point, but none of them felt like Best Anime of the Decade good things to me.