Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I love that the ED is full of references to the Godzilla franchise as a whole. It's really cool getting to see (even if only briefly) anime versions of Biollante, Mechagodzilla Kiryu, King Caesar, etc.

I'm also certain that a lot of the human characters being shown during the ED are actually from old Godzilla movies, too, but unfortunately they're not quite as easy to identify as kaiju.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Surprising news about Godzilla himself in this anime, as revealed by new toys: The Titanosaurus-looking creature seen in some of the promotional material is actually a form of Godzilla called Godzilla Aquatilis. Apparently kaiju having an initial form that looks unlike their traditional appearance (as seen with the Rodans in episodes 1 and 2 versus episode 3) is going to be a recurring element, but I didn't expect to see an effective Godzilla/Titanosaurus design fusion. I assume they initially considered featuring Titanosaurus but instead decided to incorporate aspects of its design (the head and tail fin, the antennae, the coloration) into Godzilla's initial form for this show.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
It seems like the people behind Godzilla Singular Point were inspired by those articles about how Godzilla is physically impossible and made a show about geniuses who are well aware that giant monsters can't exist and are therefore very curious when giant monsters show up anyway.

Basically, whereas Godzilla vs Kong barely explained anything about the energy source that was the central to the plot, Godzilla Singular Point is going all in on attempting to justify the made-up science to an extent beyond anything a Godzilla franchise entry has ever done before.

I bet by the end they're going to use Archetype to give Jet Jaguar impossible size-changing and self-upgrading powers. They did mention Archetype can self-replicate, right?

EDIT: So I just learned the screenwriter of Godzilla Singular Point, Toh EnJoe, actually has an impressive academic background:

quote:

Born in 1972 in Sapporo. He graduated from the physics department of Tohoku University, then went on to the graduate school at University of Tokyo and received Ph.D. for a mathematical physical study on the natural languages. He worked as a post-doc researcher at several research institutes for seven years, then abandoned the academic career in 2007 and found a job as a at a software firm, which he left in 2008 to become a full-time writer.

Godzilla Singular Point is his first time as a screenwriter for an entire show, and his only previous works for anime were writing two episodes of Space Dandy: "I'm Never Remembering You, Baby" and "An Other Dimensional Tale, Baby".

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 24, 2021