Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Was there really a huge nostalgia market for something as goofy as Jet Jaguar?

In the US? Yes!

Godzilla Vs. Megalon was a lot of people's first Godzilla since it got mass bootlegged back in the day (complicated legal situation, long story), which means people are pretty nostalgic for all its goofy dumb bullshit.

Netflix anime tends to pay a lot of attention to the US market, so something that gets Americans to go "Hey, I know that thing!" is a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Those look like Makima eyes.

I'm sure there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, Jet Jaguar and Gridman are both based on Ultraman, and Evangelion based Jet Alone on Jet Jaguar.

That said, I doubt all of this is a simulation.

Good first episode, but it definitely felt more like the opening act to a movie than like a standalone episode, if that makes any sense. We get a lot of character building to understand the core cast, but nothing is resolved, the two leads (according to the posters) are still operating independently, and the giant monster stuff is only just starting. It feels like it's leaning a little on the series reputation to ensure viewers stick around.

And you know what?

It works. Getting time to actually get attached to the characters lets the monster stuff feel like it's weird and exciting, rather than a default for something with Godzilla on the title card.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Burkion posted:

The first episode is really interesting and Shin-like, but the second episode is what sold me on this whole project.

Hell yeah Jet Jaguar, get their asses! Can't wait for you to become fully self aware

I suspect if he is at any point, it might be with the dog AI. Keeps the AI benefits while allowing it to be a character the viewer already has an opinion on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

Dammit lady, why would you willingly install BonziBuddy?

Looking at the timeline, she probably wasn't born when it came out the first time. She didn't know.

The same history.

The same mistakes.

Over and over again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

godzilla's only the hero when there is a worse monster for him to fight. and uh, i don't see any competitors for this version around.

I mean, he's a bigger rear end in a top hat than the Mutos in a lot of ways, and he was still the protagonist there.

Godzilla varies from film to film, but he's sometimes outright heroic, and often just kind of pissed at everyone rather than evil. It's pretty much a coinflip what you're dealing with.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GodFish posted:

I think I'm going to have to rewatch this show once it's all out, I feel like I've completely lost the thread of what's happening and why.

Basically, the apocalypse is coming. At some point in the future, the calamity occurs, which makes the regular rules of space and time collapse, including the whole linear progression of time thing we've gotten lazy about expecting. Worse, that calamity makes an environment highly conductive to giant monsters who eat people, thus, you know. The giant monsters.

The main girl, Mei Kamino has been scouted by a conspiracy of sorts trying to save the world, because her focus on imaginary beings has left her with good insights into the functionality of the whole magic particle that rewrites physics. She's trying to basically Thanos everyone's problems away by using the power of the calamity to undue it before it starts, saving humanity. An oxygen destroyer looking device has been invented that might be key to doing that, but it needs a code to function properly.

The best chance of getting that code comes from the male lead, Yun Arikawa who's been hanging out with Jet Jaguar on the other side of the world. He's been researching a mad scientist type from decades back whose writing may have been key to deciphering all this, acting as a prophecy for the events of the show. He also invented the AI behind both Mei's dog-AI sidekick and Jet Jaguar. Right now, he's just about figured out that he's going to talk with Mei at length by instant message, possibly figuring out how to save humanity... or guaranteeing the doom to come.

Either way, they need to work fast, because Godzilla is growing by the day, and now he's coming right for SHIVA, the AI at the core of humanity's last hope.

Also, lots and lots of discussion of the weird poo poo that happens at the frontiers of physics.

That help at all?

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

What a fantastic series. I'd call it the best of the past ten years if it weren't for Devilman: Cry Baby, and even then it's close.

Interesting how much people can differ on these things.

I liked it too, but I felt like it wasn't my favorite show of its season (Odd Taxi) or even my favorite show where eccentric mech pilots fought kaiju (Dynazenon).

Mind saying some of what pushed it to the top for you? I can see a lot of good things about Singular point, but none of them felt like Best Anime of the Decade good things to me.