Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is it
*something in french gibberish*
no no hawh hawh hawh
I Surrender!!!
goku
View Results

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Where is Trudeau from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
they run on loving moon law there.

The rest of the country is common law, the peppers are still using the loving Napoleonic code.

Nothing worse when you're researching a point of law and find a case that looks decent only to realize it's civil code and therefore useless.

Also Montreal was the financial and business capital of the country until the FLQ started snatching people off the street in the 70's and every Anglo with a couple bucks to rub together said "nope" and drove the 4 hours west on the 401 to hogtown. Before that toronto was some bullshit provincial outpost. Toronto still is some bullshit provincial outpost but the people here keep lying to themselves that it's a world class city.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: here's the provinces and territories in order of goodness, assembled by a neutral outsider
Québec
Ontario
Maritimes
Nunavut
NWT and Yukon
Alberta
Saskatchewan and Manitoba
BC

I'm from Vancouver and left it/hate it but the rest of the province doesn't deserve to be lower than Alberta.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Quebec is funny. On one hand they have a vibrant cultural scene and Montreal has a reasonable housing market for a major city in Canada.

On the other hand they have a literal Language Gestapo that goes around punishing businesses if they dare not use French. Like imagine if the New York State Police had a special division dedicated to fining businesses if they have the audacity to speak or write too much of the dreaded non-French languages.

In summary Quebec is a land of contrasts.

The so-called "language police" is very much overblown... instead of Franaiswaffen going door to door, think more regulations that enforce stuff like a business' front sign cannot be majority english language, or enforcing the bilingual info/warning texts on products, etc. It's really nothing and I doubt many actual anglos living in Montreal or Saint-loving-Tit-Des-Meux-Meux gives a poo poo.

olylifter posted:

Also Montreal was the financial and business capital of the country until the FLQ started snatching people off the street in the 70's

Hey now, there was also a shitload of bombs going off.

e: On that note, this is a great (and free to watch) documentary from the National Film Board on the October crisis... there's a part in there that goes over the bombings and that enumeration just... doesn't... seem to... end?
The film has a nice history of its own with the filmmaker being tasked by the NFB to make the only one film they're gonna do on what happened (came out in 73), hoping the anglo they picked will have a certain angle they want...
Throughout the course of making the film, Robin Spry became sympathetic towards the cause of the Quebec separatists and this tainted the only film the NFB were going to do on the events.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/action_the_october_crisis_of_1970/

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 9, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Bronze Fonz posted:

The so-called "language police" is very much overblown... instead of Franaiswaffen going door to door, think more regulations that enforce stuff like a business' front sign cannot be majority english language, or enforcing the bilingual info/warning texts on products, etc. It's really nothing and I doubt many actual anglos living in Montreal or Saint-loving-Tit-Des-Meux-Meux gives a poo poo.

Eh, I've got a friend who got sent out to, I think it was Trois-Rivires for a week to help set up a new store location for the company he was working for at the time.

Long story short the company ended up having to deal with a language violation and a fine because a customer overheard him explaining something about the company procedures to a staff member in English (because his French is poo poo) and the customer submitted a complaint. If that isn't dumb as hell I don't know what is.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Eh, I've got a friend who got sent out to, I think it was Trois-Rivires for a week to help set up a new store location for the company he was working for at the time.

Long story short the company ended up having to deal with a language violation and a fine because a customer overheard him explaining something about the company procedures to a staff member in English (because his French is poo poo) and the customer submitted a complaint. If that isn't dumb as hell I don't know what is.

Yeah I didn't account for a considerable amount of the population who really wish it was a gestapo and go to Defcon 5 for the stupidest poo poo.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Whats the food like in Quebec? Do they have Cajun food too?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

olylifter posted:

they run on loving moon law there.

The rest of the country is common law, the peppers are still using the loving Napoleonic code.

Nothing worse when you're researching a point of law and find a case that looks decent only to realize it's civil code and therefore useless.

Also Montreal was the financial and business capital of the country until the FLQ started snatching people off the street in the 70's and every Anglo with a couple bucks to rub together said "nope" and drove the 4 hours west on the 401 to hogtown. Before that toronto was some bullshit provincial outpost. Toronto still is some bullshit provincial outpost but the people here keep lying to themselves that it's a world class city.

Toronto is the blandest Big City on the planet. Nothing really bad about it. Nothing really good about it. It just kind of... exists.

It has a bit of niche these days for playing NYC or Chicago in productions that can't afford to film in NYC or Chicago.

yikes! posted:

Whats the food like in Quebec? Do they have Cajun food too?

It's good OP. If you can imagine a canadian food that's good, it's from Qubec.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Without the spices sure

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bronze Fonz posted:

It's really nothing and I doubt many actual anglos living in Montreal or Saint-loving-Tit-Des-Meux-Meux gives a poo poo.

Does anyone say "Ste-Clotilde-de-Rubber-Boot" any more? I always liked that one

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Phy posted:

Does anyone say "Ste-Clotilde-de-Rubber-Boot" any more? I always liked that one

I don't know but we do have Le Trou (the hole) and Ha!-Ha! as official place names.

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Professor Shark posted:

Alberta is the weird uncle who got lucky in the 90's by being an early investor in some company who now thinks they're some sort of Market Jenius even though they were living in their mother's basement before and now all they talk about is lowering taxes and how "no one appreciates the things I do for this family!!!" every Thanksgiving after getting sloppy drunk

Quebec is the cool uncle in a leather jacket who shows up late and has cool stories

This is scarily accurate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Where is Trudeau from

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

ive been to Quebec City several times for Carnaval and its fun as poo poo, also extremely loving cold but everyones so hosed up on caribou it doesnt matter too much, maple sugar on snow, huge toboggan runs, and the ice boat races on the st lawrence are cool as hell.

also this guy's running around

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Toronto is the blandest Big City on the planet. Nothing really bad about it. Nothing really good about it. It just kind of... exists.

I was in the city a month and ago and its pretty much dead. Downtown was anyway.

There's no sports (Raptors, Leafs (lol) and Blue Jays) so everything down by the lake is empty since there are no tourists. Bay St is dead since everyone is now working from home. The PATH looked like it was actually dangerous since all the shops are closed and there's more homeless and needles laying around. No car traffic anywhere. Lots of people on eBikes though doing DoorDash and Skip.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Its nice to finally see people admitting this; Toronto is just Diet NYC with worse weather. Everything good about Canada comes from Quebec, which is probably why the rest of Canada resents them so much.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Oh no those dangerous homeless people!

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Everytime ive gone to Quebec the people have been chill as hell alberta on the other hand...I had to live in Red Deer for work for a while and gently caress that place, glad to be back in BC

Is there still a mafia in Quebec or is it just Hells Angels? HA is active in BC I think theyre still going strong in Quebec too

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Sheen Sheen posted:

Its nice to finally see people admitting this; Toronto is just Diet NYC with worse weather. Everything good about Canada comes from Quebec, which is probably why the rest of Canada resents them so much.

Quebec's general idea of Toronto is that the bars close at 6pm.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Do it ironically posted:

Everytime ive gone to Quebec the people have been chill as hell alberta on the other hand...I had to live in Red Deer for work for a while and gently caress that place, glad to be back in BC

Is there still a mafia in Quebec or is it just Hells Angels? HA is active in BC I think theyre still going strong in Quebec too

Hell's Angels still run street drugs (though state weed took a chunk out of their portfolio), sex trades, and I guess weapons and other shady poo poo.
Mafia is always around.

Quebec has a strong criminalized biker gangs presence that's never going away.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Do motorcycles in Quebec sounds francophiley

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Derpies posted:

le braaaap

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Derpies posted:

Hon hon hon hon hon hon hon hon hon hon hon hon hon

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Derpies posted:

Only when the engine won't start.

Gneuh-gneuh-gneuh-gneuh-gneuh-gneuh-gneuh-gneuh

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

In 38 years of being Canadian, I have yet to meet a single Quebecois who isn't insanely, mind-blowingly racist, so take my sample size of just me as you will.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
What makes BC so bad? Is it the cost of living or something?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I like walking around Montreal getting hammered on draught Fin du Monde and then getting poutine and then more beer. Yeah its stereotypical but its fun and I missed being able to do it this year.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Where is Trudeau from

prob from a suspension pod from some warehouse

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Bodhidharma posted:

Smug about the weather, always going on about "Well it's just not the same I can't imagine living anywhere where you can't see *the mountains*".

Basically populated by the kind of dude who plays Ultimate Frisbee and insists on calling it Flatball.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I like walking around Montreal getting hammered on draught Fin du Monde and then getting poutine and then more beer. Yeah its stereotypical but its fun and I missed being able to do it this year.

it's a way of life

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fojar38 posted:

Stickers would be too stimulating to accurately represent Ontario's personality
FOLKS UR JUST NOT GETTING IT

(stickers specifically for provincially-run gas pump propaganda campaigns since struck down by the courts)

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I like walking around Montreal getting hammered on draught Fin du Monde and then getting poutine and then more beer. Yeah it’s stereotypical but it’s fun and I missed being able to do it this year.

We needs go squatching at one of their games titties bars

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Smug about the weather, always going on about "Well it's just not the same I can't imagine living anywhere where you can't see *the mountains*".

Basically populated by the kind of dude who plays Ultimate Frisbee and insists on calling it Flatball.
people who play Ultimate only call it Ultimate :colbert:

and we play Ultimate using a DISCRAFT 175 GRAM ULTRA STAR SPORT DISC!!!!! :2bong:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Derpies posted:

We needs go squatching at one of their games titties bars

I like the guys who stand outside the titty bars yelling Eef you want an erection, this is the direction!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bodhidharma posted:

Vancouver is full of rude egotistical white collar criminals. The city is boring as hell and exists only to launder international money.

Cost of living and weather is horrendous too. But weather sucks across Canada.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot Unibroue is from there. Quebec is the best due to them alone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

But weather sucks across Canada.

Eastern Canada actually has the best loving weather on the planet. Montral weather beats anything I've ever experienced.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

hell astro course posted:

I really wanna visit quebec some day. sucks because of covid :(

:(:respek::( I had to cancel a trip there I had planned back in April. I'm hoping all of the little restaurants and breweries and shops I planned to visit manage to survive the various shutdowns for whenever the hell travel/vacation is possible again (and whenever they let Americans back in again).

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Vancouver is full of rude egotistical white collar criminals. The city is boring as hell and exists only to launder international money.

Cost of living and weather is horrendous too. But weather sucks across Canada.
Slow Down! This ain't the mainland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Bodhidharma posted:

Full disclosure I've never been there but I think its like the San Francisco of Canada.