Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I hope this is the right place for this:
https://www.minorityhumanitarianfoundation.com/

They literally pick up newly released migrants released from ICE detention out on the street with nowhere to go. They partner with http://miles4migrants.org/ to then fly the migrants to their final destinations. It is a husband/wife team based in San Diego, they have a donated minivan and a mobile phone they answer 24/7, their number is shared among people in ICE detention and with local business owners who spot recently released folks wandering around trying not to be preyed upon by scumbags.

I donate soap, diapers, formula and toys when I can as they also connect with shelters in Mexico for families waiting for their cases to go through the immigration courts, and they have been doing lots of outreach to immigrant and homeless families in San Diego during the pandemic. It is awesome, boots-on-the-ground work directly affecting people in dire need. I give them as much as I can, these guys are literally saving lives. The stories they hear from detention are heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I've taken to offering extra fruit from my trees on our local Buy Nothing group, through Facebook. I have a robust neighborhood exchange group, and it's kind of awesome to see so many people gifting things to each other. We are going to do a massive purge of all baby stuff soon (our youngest turned 4 during this pandemic) and instead of a yard sale or donating to Goodwill, we're just going to offer everything up for free to our neighbors.

Maybe offer up your extra clothes there?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I'm quoting myself, as Biden has made clear the Remain in Mexico policy will be repealed and this group is trying to prepare for families that will be making it over the border. They help place migrants with their sponsors or family members once they cross the border and/or are released from detention. Cash is best for now, but I am betting they will need specific help as Biden's policies bear fruit. It's a very exciting time!