Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hey folks,

There's a pretty good deep canvass skills training led by abolitionist organizers in Minneapolis (where I do not live) that may be of interest to you: https://www.mobilize.us/peoplesaction/event/376362/

It involves setting you up to phonebank for this specific charter amendment that provides more statutory room to divest from policing and invest in alternatives, but it will also train you on some skills that I think will be helpful in other campaigns. There is apparently strong empirical evidence for the efficacy of this approach.

Also, great OP! I really like the way you've synthesized a lot of information about how people can get involved in organizing outside of elections. In my community, there has been to some degree a seamless transition in how we are directing our efforts from direct actions during the uprising last summer, to shaping the agenda of a local commission (that was designed to do nothing, but we against all odds made to do something), to lobbying councilors to create a new Department of Community Care and adequately fund it while continuing to defund the police, to running candidates against them.

So for me to some extent the "no electoralism" line in the OP feels a bit awkward and inconsonant with my recent political experiences, but I'm somewhat sympathetic to it nevertheless.

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU