Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This video is a great casual interview/chat with a guy who's been figuring this out in Seattle for years to introduce the concepts and purposes of mutual aid and I suggest anyone who is trying to get to grips with the "rules of the road" check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkKFqH7yf0Q&t=262s

But if you are a relatively affluent (probably male probably white probably cis/het) person as is frequently the type reading this dead comedy forum, here are a few key takeaways:

• It's self-guided economic development from within and across communities. It's the provision of the needs of the people of the community from the resources of the community.
  • It's peer to peer, not top down. If you believe you know better what a person needs than that person does, you're doing charity at best. If you are making your aid to them contingent on something, you're not even doing that you're doing base coercion.
  • There's no universal template for mutual aid because the needs of each community and each individual are different, and you're not going to know what to do unless you're engaged in an ongoing dialog with the people you want to help. There are some extremely common threads like food support, but you can't show up in a community and know what it needs better than the people in it do. Similarly, the number of people doing a mutual aid effort, the structure of their formation, etc. will naturally vary from community to community and need to need.
  • Probably the hardest concept to get across is that you can't just write a check or vote for higher taxes to solve these problems, because until you have your own actual human touchers on the materials being provided and the people in the community who need help, you are blind. You can't trust the legalist NGO system or the government to do this work because it alienates the supporters from the community and vampirizes the good intent of the people with resources to support a parasitic system that takes more than it gives and leaves people's needs unmet and people desperate and deprived.
  • People don't need your politics, theory, or whatever. They need poo poo. They need food, clothes, a place to live, medical care, defenses against the physical and legal assaults on them by our hosed system, etc.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

If anyone wants some initial pointers for Seattle, feel free to PM me. I am not an organizer but I do spend way too much time following local organizers on Twitter.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kanine posted:

If I'm donating clothes to a mutual aid group, should I put them in transparent garbage bags or inside cardboard boxes once I've washed and folded them?

Ask them. Also, receiving used clothes is the bane of many mutual aid groups and you should make 100% sure they actually want them.