Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Hey out of curiosity, could people post personal fundraising efforts for their community? Like I'm a teacher and currently struggling to get money for a project I'm funding on Donor's Choose for my school? Would that fit the purview of the thread? Or is it more big picture?

I do understand if it's the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Awesome, thank you!

I set up a Donors Choose to get copies of The 57 Bus for my school. My school is a small school in Canarsie. Our kids are mostly very high performing Black and Brown students. Despite their high performance, our school has fallen into just using the free curriculum the city provides instead of trying to meet the high levels of our students. Our kids often get into pretty competitive New York City Public Schools, but struggle with the initial transition. My principal was all in on me getting new books, but Covid devastated our budget. I was able to fund one project, but sort of exhausted a lot of the contributions I might find from friends in the process.

The 57 Bus is an incredible book that tells a dual narrative of a young Black teenager who set a non-binary teen's dress on fire. It explores gender identity, the criminal justice system, the school to prison pipeline, and restorative practices. I was very proud of how my kids last year reacted to the death of George Floyd, even setting up their own Racial Justice clubs. I'm hoping that the book can be a good springboard to push my current students towards self-motivated activism and debate. We also have a lot of kids questioning sexuality and gender identity. It's a tricky thing at my school, and I'm starting the process of coming out as trans non-binary. If I can get the order in, my science teacher is also going to use the book as a reference point for her Health classes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Okay, updated the links in the reference post. Kicked in $100 for Timeless Appeal and shared it in the USPOL thread, hopefully we can get you funded before the end of the month. :toot:
Thanks Buddy, I appreciate it a lot! Often angel donors sweep in once the number gets close, so here's hoping! Thanks everyone who supported.

A lot of my direct action is involved in my job in schooling where outside of just doing my job, I try to push for the end to the school to captivity pipeline, a phrase borrowed from Monique W Morris and her amazing book, Pushout that I highly recommend. I also recommend The Predictable Failure of Education Reform by Seymour Sarason. It's very light reading, but it goes over issues like buy-in and maintaining buy-in when reforms inevitably hit unforeseen roadblocks. A lot of the ideas are applicable to other reform efforts. And you get to be depressed that it was written thirty years ago.

Through the recent protests, I've been there as a body and have not been part of direct organization. I think the one piece of advice I will give for folks who want to get involved in the BLM and other racial justice endeavors is to really try to listen, especially if you're not involved in the organization. It's important to understand that these protests didn't really start in March. In Brooklyn for example, marches might be new in front of the Barclay Center, but were incredibly regular in Bed-Stuy or East New York. There have been groups like SOS that have been there for years laying the groundwork and creating the organizational infrastructure that drives these marches. A huge part of the culture around racial justice movements is testifying. It's a great opportunity to really get to understand people's lived in experiences and people to step up. But I'll be honest, I've seen instances of primarily white men who don't really get it and are a bit too quick to yell stuff out, well intended, but stuff that distracts from the speaker. I think especially in terms of racial justice, if you're new and especially if you're white try to learn the community, try to learn the feel, and remember there are folks who have been doing this for a long time.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 12, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Thanks for the folks who donated. I got fully funded today. Thanks Mat for the extra advocation that you did in USPol!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Speaking on some mutual aid work I've helped done or worked with during Inauguration Week my DSA chapter did coalition work with our local John Brown Gun Club and Pittsburgh Mutual Aid when we realized "Yeah doing a rally downtown would be unsafe and unwise"
https://twitter.com/SteelCityJBGC/status/1353779989678858241

More specific to my chapter we've been stocking this pantry for over 3 years and recently raised 1,000$ for it.
https://twitter.com/SabrinaSpiher/status/1357411617701572608
We have thought of doing a free community fridge, but location is an issue; a really good idea from the person behind the pantry is that we could ask our members to each make a thing of soup and then host a day at our HQ to give out free soup while also utilizing the fridges at our HQ to give folks milk, meat, cheese, etc.
It might be worth seeing if they are any local chicken coops and smaller community gardens you can partner with. I've worked with a couple that have tried to do free egg Saturdays or create very low-level CSAs, but could definitely use help in letting people know.

I am also trying to build more library books for my school again with a focus on horror. If anyone wants to donate, a cruel billionaire will match half your donation to revitalize his public image.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 12, 2021