Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Discovered this thread a bit late. Any prominent female characters in the gang? Just asking for inclusion, no agenda. Great job so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Cool. It would also be great if we get a pet. The dog Max has in some of his movies and the game is my favorite character from that franchise.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Uh oh, we’re after Ubisoft’s hometown next! This oughta be a good fight. ;)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Battle truck sounds like a cool movie. Thx for bringing it to our attention.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I had forgotten we’d already been to Montreal. :(

The Ultimate Warrior... I remember a wrestler by that name.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Wrestling Connections- no idea. I was just rambling on as I tend to do.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Seen this movie and enjoyed it. The remake too, which I am willing to talk about if you don’t plan to cover it at some point. I can definitely see some political figures of our day supporting a Death Race- not saying who, but they’re quite active on Twitter calling for the blood of their opposition.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Kangra posted:

I'm trying to stick with movies that are more contemporaneous with the game, so I'm avoiding anything post-1990, so go right ahead. I might have drawn comparisons, but I haven't seen more than a few scenes of the newer series or the '2050' sequel. Any discussion is welcome.

Gotcha. Ok, well, I'm not sure how much the general crowd will want to discuss the sequels and remakes of Death Race, so I'll just talk about them in brief.

Death Race, the remake, came out in 2008. It has the same race on a smaller scale, taking place in an island prison and still a TV spectacle but with only prisoners and guards exposed to the violent event, not civilians. Frankenstein and Machine Gun Joe are the only recurring characters, both have some elements of the originals (Frankenstein is a legacy character, Joe is his rival) and some new features (Frankenstein actually has a family on the outside). They actually end up cooperating to win the race, escape prison, and take down the corrupt warden sponsoring the race. The film features a lot more vehicular combat and character development than the original, including a sequence with a huge truck packed full of shooters that definitely makes me think of battles in Roadwar 2000.

Death Race 2 and 3 were direct to video prequels of the above film that came out in 2010 and 2013. Death Race 2 shows the origins of the first Frankenstein driver, while 3 has him participate in a big racing event in Africa that expands the popularity of the franchise and ends with him in the prison from the first movie. There's a lot of B-movie actors in these films, and a lot of showing off of cars and vehicle combat. Other than the obvious, not much connections to Roadwar or the apocalypse.

Death Race: Beyond Anarchy is the sequel to the 2008 film, released in 2018. The race is now a huge global event, taking place in the largest prison in the world. Frankenstein is both star and director of the race, as well as the film's main antagonist. And interestingly enough, the hero of the film is originally supposed to take down the race but instead gets nuts about it and takes up Frankenstein's role after beating him, complete with mask and moniker. More of the same vehicle combat, B-movie actors, and over the top action abound.

There was a sequel to the original Death Race 2000 film also- Death Race 2050. It has the same race, colorful vehicles and characters, and political satire in even more effect. I haven't seen it personally, though I did watch the original and the 4 films I mentioned above. Interesting note- Death Race is sponsored by the Weyland Corporation. A company with the same name was also responsible for the Xenomorphs in the Alien franchise. Hmm...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Other examples of incoherent cult classics- Rocky Horror, American Beauty, Plan 9 from Outer Space. Heck, a lot of movies could make such a list.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Gator Goons wish they had an ally who knows Hokuto Shinken. :D

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Another interesting film. I’ll see if I can download it this weekend.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Mayo Clinic is in Rochester, not Minneapolis-St Paul, though I suppose that’s close enough. Pity we couldn’t loot the Mall of America.

These Mother Truckers are a memorable gang. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Road Warrior was my second favorite Mad Max film, first until Fury Road came out. Anytime a game has a combat sequence on top of vehicles I can't help but think of both films.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That film doesn’t sound that great, honestly. But thanks for mentioning it. Can’t wait to see what Florida Man does next.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We’re going to Texas? Hooray! Nice title for the next film too.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That film’s tone sounds like another great post apocalyptic action game called Days Gone. You ought to play that if you haven’t already. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dallas and Indianapolis do seem appropriate places to find upgrades for vehicles. ;)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
However long it takes is fine. Don’t drive yourself crazy. Thanks for checking in.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ah, Florida at last. Wonder if there's anything special at Disney World or Cape Canaveral.

Isn't that always how it goes with Fort Knox heists? The gold is too heavy to carry away. At least Goldfinger had a good idea about what to do with it. Oh well.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Randalor posted:

Oh okay, my curiosity was more peaked by the National Guard units, and if they become friendly after you start working for the government (assuming they don't start out friendly).

It is quite possible that the National Guard could become friendly. But how much communication and trust do they have with the government in this world? If they don’t turn friendly there’s at least some good reason.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Tension rising, feels great.

Have you run out of movies?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Pity that they never really applied rollerblading to combat, I’ve played quite a few games where rollerbladers are a serious threat. Not as serious as white supremacy though. Racism is one of the stupidest ideas in history, and allowing it to gain any kind of foothold on this world is not good.

Looking forward to the next update. Can we access the space shuttle at Cape Canaveral and attack the Invaders’ mothership?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Great to see this thread resume, the quality writing continue, and a favorite celebrity make a cameo. Also good to know a review of my favorite film from my birth year is on the way.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
From what I’ve heard, yes. That line was completely improvised.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
A good strategy for games and real life.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I like the Easter Eggs at Napa and SSI. I wonder if we’ll see the other 2 mad max films reviewed before the LP ends. I know Fury Road came out long after the game, so maybe not that one unless you like it as much as I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

bradburypancakes posted:

Great LP so far! I’m glad Florida man hasn’t discovered the post apocalyptic version of bath salts yet, if such a thing exists in-game

Yeah, turning the gang into RIPers sounds like a bad idea. Reference to Days Gone if you didn’t guess.

The story has taken an interesting turn this update. I would like to see Florida Man find all the missing scientists but settling down sounds good too.