Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

The election has started! Everyone is worried about voting suppression and I thought this would be a nice thread to share your voting experience, or ask questions that maybe someone from your state could help with. But...

Do not post a picture of your ballot (which is a crime in many places!) or share identifying information (i.e. the specific poll location you voted in). This is the internet after all.

On my part, I live in VA and voted early in-person. It was very easy and very safe. It was kind of a pain in the rear end to find out where I could vote early and when it was open - VA needs to get its poo poo together so I don't have to rely on random websites.

Find out how you can vote:

https://www.nass.org/can-I-vote

Learn about who you're voting on and local issues (more than the Senate and the President are on the ballot for many of us!):

https://www.vote411.org/

(Feel free to let me know some other good resources to add here).

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
MA. I dropped my ballot in a ballot collection box Thursday. State website hasn't updated to show that it was collected and accepted yet but it's only been one working day. Yes, I will check it every day.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My state's got universal vote-by-mail and it's run close to flawlessly, despite having a pretty mixed legislature and government, party-wise. I can even log into a site and track my ballot processing in case something goes wrong. I've also received reminders, lists of polling places in my county, forms to fill out to request additional ballots, etc. All available in multiple languages.

Another advantage? The near-comprehensive league of women voters guide and democratic voter guide both arrived within 24 hours of the ballot.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 10, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mainer here. Requested a absentee ballot request a month ago, recieved a verification letter to fill out, sent back, got ballot on October 1st, filled out and put in mailbox Oct 5, recieved by Town Hall October 8. Ballot came with 'please sign or it won't count' slip. Voted straight dem on the ranked-choice vote. Had to look up town council/school board candidates. Straightforward.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 10, 2020

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Murgos posted:

MA. I dropped my ballot in a ballot collection box Thursday. State website hasn't updated to show that it was collected and accepted yet but it's only been one working day. Yes, I will check it every day.

Same but yesterday and in California

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Ohio here, voted by mail absentee as I have the last few years. Put in the mail yesterday, I'll try to remember to report back how long it took once the ballot status was received. I was considering going to drop it off in person at the drop box, but it's 30 minutes away from me if there's no traffic, so that was a rough option. I figure 3 weeks is enough time for it to make it there.
I did not get any kind of I Voted sticker. I have been a victim of stick disenfranchisement once again.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
I put in my request for a mail in ballot and now I'm playing the waiting game.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

NJ. Voted by dropbox, ballot showed up as received on the state website the next day.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I should note that in many parts of the US, your local League of Women Voters will have sent carefully designed, nonpartisan questionnaires to all candidates down to the local level. Republicans will almost always ignore these, but they're fantastic tools for nonpartisan or "nonpartisan" local races. This info is usually mailed out broadly, but is often available on a local League site or in local newspapers. Regrettably the national League voter info site, vote411.org, does a crappy job of directing users to local info.

Additionally, be aware that many ballot initiatives are misleadingly worded. An initiative that seems to raise taxes will actually freeze them, or an accountability referendum will actually give the (insane, conservative) governor unilateral budget power. Beware.

League of Women Voters info also often provides context on local and state ballot initiatives that you won't get elsewhere, but your best bet is to find and ask people you trust who are deeply involved in local politics. There is no substitute for participation in the democratic process.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 10, 2020

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
If you're registered to vote in North Carolina, early voting starts on October 15. You can find your early voting place here:

https://vt.ncsbe.gov/ossite/

And if you're in Pennsylvania and voting by mail, please remember to use your secrecy envelope!

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 10, 2020

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I voted before the General Election Guide had been delivered to me. Filled out my ballot, threw it into the nearest post office box instead of a special ballot box and went about my life. Highly recommend it to everyone. Vote in person if you have to but do make sure to vote, it is one of the highest impact lowest effort ways to change the country.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
CA Los Angeles, filled out the ballot in the evening and teamed up with my roommate to go drop our mail-in ballots at the local library location. No line, and we both signed up for ballot progress updates as well to be sure things get in properly.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
Louisiana:
Republicans quietly gave up trying to block expanded covid-related absentee if you have covid, a doctor-verified higher risk, are a caretaker of same, or are somehow still quarantined. Be very sure you qualify, I have a feeling your rejection won't arrive in time.

Our dates are offset to make voting as confusing as possible, plan accordingly:
Deadline to register online: Tues, Oct. 13.
Early Voting: Fri, Oct. 16 - Tues, Oct. 27, (closed Sundays.)
Deadline for mail ballot application: Fri, Oct. 30.
Deadline for received mail ballot: Mon, Nov. 2
Runoff: Sat, Dec. 5

Red State Commiseration Station:
I'm going to have to navigate 3 at-risk elders through after-work election day voting because they aren't at-risk enough, and our early voting location is the worst possible combination of enclosed, cramped corridors, with no possible distancing.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
Ohio: I'm one of the people in Franklin county that got an incorrect absentee ballot last week and I'm still pissed about it. Reported it to them on Monday and I'm still waiting for a new ballot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RoastBeef posted:

NJ. Voted by dropbox, ballot showed up as received on the state website the next day.
Pretty much my experience but I didn't think to check the website. Now I did and it looks like it got there in a couple of days, which isn't too surprising as I think it would have been local mail.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
RI voter living in Korea. Printed my ballot last Wednesday, filled it out, scanned it into a PDF file, and emailed it to the listed address. Got an immediate email saying it was received. Checked the RI.gov site on Friday and it said my vote was received and accepted. :)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Tried iwillvote.com just to see if there were other options for how to vote in my area, and it won't even let me look into it without signing up for mail from the DNC, which can gently caress right off. Now, I know that I could just use a disposable email address, but there's going to be a good chunk of people who don't consider that option and will just nope out of the process because they don't want want to get spammed by a political org for the rest of time. Don't they realize this defeats the entire purpose of the site?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Voted by mail in PA and got my confirmation that it was accepted. A week later I got some mailers from the Democratic party all ‘WHY HAVENT YOU VOTED YET!? :supaburn:’ which I’m sure they’re mailing to everyone and won’t lead to a bunch of confusion. Thanks, idiots

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
This is a good thread. Let's get this pinned.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Kestral posted:

Tried iwillvote.com just to see if there were other options for how to vote in my area, and it won't even let me look into it without signing up for mail from the DNC, which can gently caress right off. Now, I know that I could just use a disposable email address, but there's going to be a good chunk of people who don't consider that option and will just nope out of the process because they don't want want to get spammed by a political org for the rest of time. Don't they realize this defeats the entire purpose of the site?

Really? I didn’t run into a screen like that when I visited today. Did you try closing that registration prompt? That did the trick when I visited Biden’s campaign site.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Kestral posted:

you went to iwillvote.org, not iwillvote.com i think?

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

I put my absentee ballot in a drop box at a post office in Westchester NY. It's legal to do this and also vote in person! I probably will not do so.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
My voting story is boring. Got an absentee ballot, filled it out, mailed it, and there you go. I live in NY, which is safe Democratic for president, in a House district that's safe Democratic and a county and town that's safe Republican, so I doubt my vote will change any election results, but still....

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 12, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

you went to iwillvote.org, not iwillvote.com i think?

Com takes you straight to Biden's site. Org takes you to the voting information site, but the first step there is seeing if you're registered, and when you fill out that, they also ask for your email and phone so they can put you on their mailing list. Its a Democratic party run site, so maybe no surprise, but I can see how that might discourage people.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Epicurius posted:

Com takes you straight to Biden's site. Org takes you to the voting information site, but the first step there is seeing if you're registered, and when you fill out that, they also ask for your email and phone so they can put you on their mailing list. Its a Democratic party run site, so maybe no surprise, but I can see how that might discourage people.

Do you have a better alternative? Happy to swap it in.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

vote411.org is the League of Women Voters site.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

There's this:

https://www.nass.org/can-I-vote

Thats the website of the National Association of Secretaries of State.

It will take you to your state's website for information about registering to vote, checking if you're registered, and requirements for early or absentee voting.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I really wish I'd taken the 30 minute drive to go to our county drop box now. Even though I only put our ballots in the mail Friday, I am stressing out about it like crazy now.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
My wife and I dropped off our ballots at a local drop box in Somerset county, NJ on the 3rd. Still not showing up as received. I got concerned after a week passed with no update, so she gave the election board a call earlier today but hasn't heard back yet. I know other NJ folks haven't had any problems, so I'm wondering if it's a problem with that specific drop box or something at the county level.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

wilderthanmild posted:

I really wish I'd taken the 30 minute drive to go to our county drop box now. Even though I only put our ballots in the mail Friday, I am stressing out about it like crazy now.

Sometimes it takes a few days. I don't know your state but in my case in PA I got the notification at 10:30 PM four days after I put it in the mailbox. I was surprised to see the notification so late at night. They're definitely burning the midnight oil to keep everything moving

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm also a Virginian. My mail-in ballot arrived a week or two ago. Last week, I filled it out and personally dropped it off at my county registrar's office, since I no longer trust the mail. According to the VA state election site, my ballot was accepted.

Point of advice for fellow Virginians: if you deliver your ballot in person, be sure to a) seal your ballot in the envelope and b) bring the outer (mailing) envelope with you to the registrar's office in case you need it. You can check your ballot status here: https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/VoterInformation/Lookup/status

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
I lost my ballot.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm also a Virginian. My mail-in ballot arrived a week or two ago. Last week, I filled it out and personally dropped it off at my county registrar's office, since I no longer trust the mail. According to the VA state election site, my ballot was accepted.

Point of advice for fellow Virginians: if you deliver your ballot in person, be sure to a) seal your ballot in the envelope and b) bring the outer (mailing) envelope with you to the registrar's office in case you need it. You can check your ballot status here: https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/VoterInformation/Lookup/status

Similar for me except I dropped it off at a post office box a couple of weeks ago. Went to the site you posted a week later and saw it was approved.

I did get a sticker in the mail. I used to vote in Florida where I never got a sticker in the mail so Virginia is clearly the superior state.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Crumbskull posted:

I lost my ballot.
What state are you in? There are procedures, at least in some states, for getting the mail-ins reissued.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

All my family's ballots arrived in the mail last week in NJ. I'm living abroad so I've never voted in person - I always got my absentee ballot sent by my parents to me, and then I send it back completed myself. They FedEx express mailed it to me so it arrived on Monday, I filled it out and put it in Taiwan Post a couple hours ago. Usually it took about a week for letters to arrive before this year's post office problems, so I'll check the NJ elections website next week and see if they got it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My wife's and my ballots were both accepted for counting in Ohio today. So mailed On the 9th, received today the 13th. That's 5 days or 3 business days, depending on how you want to count it.

Not too bad of a turn around, but then again Ohio was already an okay state for vote by mail before this so it's not surprising.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Epinephrine posted:

What state are you in? There are procedures, at least in some states, for getting the mail-ins reissued.

I'm in Washington and there are no competitive local races that matter so I think I'll just try again in 2024.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Crumbskull posted:

I'm in Washington and there are no competitive local races that matter so I think I'll just try again in 2024.
You should be able to get a replacement if you contact your county elections department. This page can get you there.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Update, my ballot has been accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
SLAM THAT VOTE FOR BIDEN AND DOWN TICKET DEMS. WE GONNA FLIP THIS IN OHIO
3x votes for the dems in ohio went out this week from the household, and an absentee going out this week if my landlord doesn't early vote when he comes home. Him, and my dad both will vote blue this year and have done nothing but make fun of that moron which ramped up when he got covid. Trump literally has been losing the working class blue collars in my area hard and its been great to see them flip and go VOTE THE FUCKER OUT