Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I don't know how I went 13 years without bothering to check on Pet Island but hi! Both our doggos died last year and we finally decided we would maybe enjoy cleaning poop off the living room floor again, so please say hello to Ruby:

Ruby weighs 9 pounds before pooping. She was born in Juarez, Chihuahua (Mexico) in May 2020. About a week ago, she moved to a shelter in Alamagordo, New Mexico for some reason. 2 days later, she moved to Albuquerque. 3 days later, we adopted her.

Her hobbies include naps, licking your face, naps on your lap, naps on your chest, being carried around, and naps.

She enjoys walks but refuses to walk on snow unless it's in the back yard. It's okay, she only weighs 9 pounds.

She also likes sitting on the dog perch I built for her, and watching the local fauna.

She is currently taking a nap on the bed next to me and dreaming about drinking water.

My teenage daughter is head over heels in love with this dog, and has been more or less brought out of her quarantine funk, so high fives all around.

You might notice a square shaved patch: this is how the vet in Juarez does hysterectomies. I can't find any English language descriptions of the procedure, but my high school Spanish has me convinced that they removed the uterus and at least one ovary, through the side of her abdomen, somehow. This might be something they only do for small dogs and cats.

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Ruby is very cute and good.

I'd never seen this before but I googled it and apparently flank incisions are pretty normal for cats and small dogs in some areas. The incision is easier to monitor from a distance and reduces the chances of all their guts falling out if they gently caress with it so it's good for feral populations. Who knew?

I didn't know, and wasn't able to magic up the right search terms to find this information. Not that it has any bearing on anything at all in my life, but it's still interesting. Thanks!