Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

cailleask posted:

I’ve found a hole in puppy’s socialization - she’s nippy with kids that she thinks are too up in her business. I don’t mean it as a euphemism for snapping, at least... she just nips to back them up. Doesn’t actually make contact either, but obviously it’s alarming to them and me! She’s very good with my kids, and generally very chill. When she was a little puppy we socialized her with the kids in the neighborhood, which in retrospect maybe we shouldn’t have because they were pretty rough players?

I definitely don’t want to make the situation worse, and I especially don’t want to escalate her. It’s not a blatant fear thing... it just seems to be how she thinks she can ask kids to give her more room? Or express her nervousness? Or something? I just need to figure out how to train HER to walk away, or an alternate behavior, or something?

She hasn’t been around kids other than the ones she lives in (aside from passing them on the street during walks) since she was a couple month old puppy. She does go to the dog park, though, and I’m pretty sure she thinks that kids are actually puppies.

Mine doesn't nip but she does bark if she's crowded too much. I've tried to talk the kids (neighborhood kids, she's fine with my kids) through how to approach her so she doesn't get freaked out, but they don't listen so I've pretty much just given up. It's a kid problem not a dog problem imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU