Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

King Hong Kong posted:

The internet archive has a lot of Old Time Radio programs available.

I’m currently re-listening to Gunsmoke and I can’t recommend it enough. The John Meston-written episodes quickly set the tone for a distinctive series at the twilight of the golden age of radio and radio dramas.

The five (?) hour retrospective on the series, which I think was done in the ‘70s, is actually a great introduction, since it has recordings of some of the great episodes like “The Guitar,” “Cow Doctor,” and “Bloody Hands” and describes the production and changes to the production of radio dramas.

E: Also, as far as I know, the recordings that are available are generally considered public domain although you couldn’t produce an episode of Gunsmoke yourself.

Yeah Gunsmoke is really good, and surprisingly dark a lot of times. You might recognize the voice of Doc Adams and Howard McNear, best known for playing Howard the Barber on the Andy Griffith show. I his version of Doc is kind of fun, there's a slightly morbid/ghoulish quality to him that's pretty different from the TV version.

If you've seen the early version of the TV series, when the episodes were 30 minutes, they adapted a lot of the radio scripts pretty faithfully.

For a fresh recommendation, The Lives of Harry Lime is pretty good from the few episodes I've listened to. It follows Orson Welles' character from The Third Man, prior to the events of that movie. Orson Welles reprises his role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU