Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The internet archive has a lot of Old Time Radio programs available.

I’m currently re-listening to Gunsmoke and I can’t recommend it enough. The John Meston-written episodes quickly set the tone for a distinctive series at the twilight of the golden age of radio and radio dramas.

The five (?) hour retrospective on the series, which I think was done in the ‘70s, is actually a great introduction, since it has recordings of some of the great episodes like “The Guitar,” “Cow Doctor,” and “Bloody Hands” and describes the production and changes to the production of radio dramas.

E: Also, as far as I know, the recordings that are available are generally considered public domain although you couldn’t produce an episode of Gunsmoke yourself.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

wesleywillis posted:

Goddam, I just took a quick glance at that page and holy gently caress is it ever........ 20 years ago looking.

They just needed a hit counter for the authentic 1998-2004 internet experience.

Reminds me of this guy’s website: http://www.jimramsburg.com

It has a wealth of interesting information but it is a nightmare to navigate.

I am thinking of posting some reviews of the Gunsmoke episodes I’ve listened to most recently but I left my book with production details elsewhere so I am going to get that before going ahead.