Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Nero Wolfe radio show with Sydney Greenstreet is an amusing little detective series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Another series that I remember listening to and thinking the characters had great chemistry together (though I didn't listen to ALL of it, so who know, maybe I just got lucky) was the... strangely named 'I Love a Mystery'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

I heard The Thing On The Fourble Board on the highway today! It made an uneventful, somewhat monotonous drive pretty interesting.

One interesting thing about that was the narrator talking about how they drilled like 7000 feet one time and that was a record, and then one time someone drilled 10,000 feet!!!!!

I guess oil was a lot easier to find in those days. These days some wells are tens of thousands of feet (though some of that might be horizontal)

E: just googled the title and found this:
https://www.quietplease.org/forum/general/the-thing-on-the-fourble-board-questions-184.html

I heard an adaptation of that first on the Mysterious Old Radio Listening Society.

A REALLY good episode from them was their episode of the Screaming Skull. It was proper spooky, with great sound design.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

The Screaming Skull, like you mean the super budget rear end movie from the 50s?

gently caress, I think i remember seeing that on Off Beat Cinema like 20 years ago.

Yup, the terrible one that MST3K ripped the piss out off and then some.

Turns out, it makes a good story if you have competent people adapting it, who knew?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

This one - https://youtu.be/7VOHTID5rWQ - is a Canadian adaptation of the Screaming Skull, which I first heard from a podcast. It's surprisingly effective, with REALLY good Foley work.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Listening to Richard Diamond is... Hilarious? Because of the cigarette adverts. Not only must Camels have bought advertising space, they must have also got in their contract that their cigarettes had to be in the show themselves. It is so unsubtle.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Blah, now I'm annoyed I offered up that Screaming Skull adaptation earlier. This is the perfect season for it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Just make sure you don't try Dark Fantasy.

Unless you're in the mood for 'pants-on-head'-level lunacy instead of spookiness, in which case go for it!

I would suggest Spawn of the Subhuman as a jumping off point.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Just heard of an old-timey detective-action show that is retrospectively hilarious now (and probably at the time) re. the setting: T-men! The adventures of the operatives of the U.S. treasury in hunting down people who cheat on their taxes.