Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man, if y'all are going John Dehner then how can you skip Have Gun, Will Travel where he plays the errant knight gunslinger Paladin, working out of his San Francisco hotel replete with racist-rear end bellhop Hey Boy.

It's absolutely scenerey-chewing radio of the highest caliber.

I've also grown to appreciate Dragnet as this weird post-war snapshot of Los Angeles and the mundane nature of police work.

Jack Benny's show is absolutely delightful and his self-effacing jokes are really well written and delivered.

One of the things that strikes me is, given the "golden age" coincides with wartime, how the language of shared sacrifice works into the commercial bits... and how that absolutely is foreign to today.

I'm fairly sure that Sirius XM station sources its content from recovered military broadcast records and tapes. Like all that poo poo would have been lost to time if we didn't have to ship poo poo overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

wesleywillis posted:

"FG" only had about 50ish episodes and I'm nearly done them.
Some of the smaller series are real interesting.

I had no idea Jimmy Stewart did radio until I randomly heard The Six Shooter. It's not real strong, mostly an oddity given the star.

Oddly enough, I haven't the heart to go through and listen to series in their entirety. I like the surprise of a random episode popping up.

The real tragedy is they pulled The Shadow from SiriusXM due to licensing :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

wesleywillis posted:

Speaking of that, anyone catch any christmasy Olde Tymey shows?
I stayed out of the kitchen this year so not as much time with the Sirius XM as usual... but I did manage to catch an episode of The Whistler called The Three Wise Guys which was just some toughs helping a pregnant dame with allusions to the three wise men, which was funnier than I anticipated.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Last night they did a 2 parter with Orson on Donovan's Brain that was pretty cool.

The big horror thing being this brain in a jar from a murderer made me kill my son! such biblical terror was pretty poetic.

I missed almost all of Drac and didn't get to Orson's rendition. :(

Also, man, they held all the cool poo poo back until Halloween Week this year. I was waiting to hear When A Stranger Calls or The Thing on the Fourble Board all month

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DrVenkman posted:

As for finding more of these things. I have to think that just about every show there is to be discovered has been by now right? Occasionally they'll find 70 year old film prints in a salt mine or something but I can't imagine it'll be the same thing for old radio shows.
I know that the SiriusXM / Radio classics channel is basically a bunch of tapes/vinyls they copied from the Armed Forces Radio Network. There might be a warehouse somewhere with copies of other shows in better quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The post-spooky letdown has moved into the eternal holidays of good cheer season. Always fun hearing the well-wishes and hopes that the war is over this year (remember to buy bonds).

As for spooopy stuff, the Classics (shadow people, fourble board, stranger calls) are all great. Some of the Suspense tales are goofy fun (woman who in a delirium imagines her baby son grows up into a womanizing lout and almost let's him die, realtor stuck in a loop selling a house to a young couple where the wife kills the hubbie).