Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Oh sweet Emperor, YES.

The memories.

Including memories of my "Colors of Chaos" color scheme that makes eyes bleed

As they should.

As for the PDF chat. The PDF absolutely do put down plenty of invasions and uprisings. Thing is, whenever the Guard (Or Astartes) are called in, it's in a situation where the PDF has/expects to already be inadequate. The heroes literally only go to battles where the PDF isn't enough. Because if they are, there's no need for the big guns.

Let me tell you about the time a pair of D-Cannons took down a Squiggoth. Because Eldar were always ~perfectly balanced~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Da Orkz are da best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxcq4I0kAo

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I loved this game when it came out, but I think I put the most time into Winter Assault playing as Guard. You get the BANEBLADE that way brother.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I will forever love Dark Crusade for introducing me to Necrons. How can you not love Egyptian Robot Zombies that are anathema to chaos? Clearly they will save the universe from Chaos.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Sylphosaurus posted:

Sorry, canīt hear those dinky little sounds over my earthshaker rounds delivering the Emperorīs Will to the filthy Xenos.

Bah, that ain't nothing to the SOUND OF THE WARP OVERTAKING ME! IT IS A GOOD PAIN!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNK5-uE5JFg

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Damanation posted:

I will forever love Dark Crusade for introducing me to Necrons. How can you not love Egyptian Robot Zombies that are anathema to chaos? Clearly they will save the universe from Chaos.

Yeah. Especially with the opening cinematic for the game. I still think that it's one of the most badass intros I've seen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This let's play will take us to glory and victory.

Please shout his name in anger while shaking your fist in the air.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Sorry, canīt hear those dinky little sounds over my earthshaker rounds delivering the Emperorīs Will to the filthy Xenos.
Long range artillery is no match for multiple simultaneous defensive devastating deep strikes.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Poil posted:

This let's play will take us to glory and victory.

Please shout his name in anger while shaking your fist in the air.

Long range artillery is no match for multiple simultaneous defensive devastating deep strikes.

Excuse me brother, but the Codex Astartes labels that maneuver STEEL RAIN.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Cleanse, purge, kill!
Cleanse, purge, kill!
Kill, maim, burn!
Kill kill kill!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

IMJack posted:

Cleanse, purge, kill!
Cleanse, purge, kill!
Kill, maim, burn!
Kill kill kill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0qF1ZIe4eU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Gorgotz sounds like a pretty cool name. I bet the big nob of all these ork boys is pretty awesome.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
If there's anything to love about the Orkz, it's that any level of themed pun game is acceptable for any named Ork. There is no pretense, there's no enforced taste, all you have to do is find one person who'll laugh at it to justify the name.

At the lowest end, you can have a nob named Kikadanutz, and it's entirely in lore's flavor.

And at the higher end, you can have a Brainboy named Karnage Slamdiego, which just invites all kinds of fun imagery and tales.

If it makes the Orkz more fun for everyone, then it not just allowed, it is encouraged.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Bootcha posted:

If there's anything to love about the Orkz, it's that any level of themed pun game is acceptable for any named Ork. There is no pretense, there's no enforced taste, all you have to do is find one person who'll laugh at it to justify the name.

At the lowest end, you can have a nob named Kikadanutz, and it's entirely in lore's flavor.

And at the higher end, you can have a Brainboy named Karnage Slamdiego, which just invites all kinds of fun imagery and tales.

If it makes the Orkz more fun for everyone, then it not just allowed, it is encouraged.
Considering that the old WH40K lore has an Ork named after Margaret Thatcher, this line of thinking checks out.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sylphosaurus posted:

Considering that the old WH40K lore has an Ork named after Margaret Thatcher, this line of thinking checks out.

Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka is the opposite of old lore as they are still the major ork character in the setting.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A shame they didn't base the games on the best chapter.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka is the opposite of old lore as they are still the major ork character in the setting.
I was mostly thinking of how old that particular reference is I felt that calling it a part of "early" Warhammer is a pretty accurate way of describing it.

Itīs still a greater honour than what that old ghoul deserved to be honest :colbert:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

A Milka commercial?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

A Milka commercial?
Probably not. I think it was posted here somewhere a long time ago.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Ha, I remember playing this on release. I custom made my chapter to the Emporer's pointy sticks (Yes, I did read a lot of TSOALR).

Also, fun fact. The last mission, with the water treatment plant, White Dwarf made a table of for a bat rep. (I couldn't find a link). After the bat rep, they sold it off, for reasons. Anyways, it ended up in the hands of a local TO. Yes, I have played on it. More than once.

It has like no actual loving cover. Then again, cover is for pussy. My IG gunline loved it. My loota orks loved it because the lootas shot, the looted vehicles shot, and they didn't shoot my boyz until it was almost CC range. Then again this was 4th ed, so yeah.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
New Update!

Episode 3: Under Siege

In today's episode the Blood Ravens discover that the capital city of Tartarus had a very large cat-flap door and all the Orks managed to get in. Faced with tricked-out cool looking vehicles Captain Angelos decides to release the bane of all fun everywhere. Old people.

Poil posted:

I had a custom banner and badge setup for the Pretty Marines. Just making stuff for that game was so much fun. It's probably all sitting on a hard drive that doesn't work anymore now, which is a big shame.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 14, 2020

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

That links to the librarian image, not the video

e: link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u85AuXiCrdY

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

biosterous posted:

That links to the librarian image, not the video

e: link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u85AuXiCrdY

Oops! Thanks!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Wait a second, I thought the Tau were the Good GuysTM

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they might have been once upon a time if you tilted your head and looked at them funny but in recent releases the Greater Good is just another 'because i said so' moral imperialism and their society is mostly just slavery with an extra coat of paint.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Door Frame posted:

The Tau met a Tyranid hive fleet.

They did some growing up fast

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Door Frame posted:

only relatively

they'd be villains in most other sci-fi universes

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
Really enjoying this so far, but I can't help but notice in the newest video that the game sounds, particularly the servitors were kinda loud. Also, it seems like it gets even louder when you guys weren't talking?

It may just be me being overly sensitive to cross-chatter, but it made it kinda difficult to hear what you guys were saying sometimes.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Zengetsu posted:

Really enjoying this so far, but I can't help but notice in the newest video that the game sounds, particularly the servitors were kinda loud. Also, it seems like it gets even louder when you guys weren't talking?

It may just be me being overly sensitive to cross-chatter, but it made it kinda difficult to hear what you guys were saying sometimes.

It gets louder when we don't speak cause of auto-duck. When we speak the volume of the game goes down, when we don't speak it goes back up. I've done this to basically every single game we've ever done that has a commentary in it. It was also in the previous two episodes at exactly the same volume settings. Don't really know what to tell you there I even went back and checked and yeah it's all the same. It might just be because this mission is way busier a lot more often due to waves of enemies.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Orkamungus is such a good name. You've got to wonder if he was called that when he was still just a yoof because I can see a lot of other Orks giving him poo poo for such a pretentious name.

More so than Orks usually give each other poo poo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I disagree with Ultramarines being the most boring ones. That reward goes to the Imperial Fists. :colbert:

I think some BL book confirmed it ages ago that the majority of servitors are made out of clone stock.
Which sort of reminds me of a delightful passage in the book The Hollow Mountain.

quote:

The Imperium trusted cogitators as little as possible, hemmed in by ancient fears and more recent Mechanicus doctrines. Machines were employed when they had to be, but where it was possible to use a human mind, a human mind was used.

Crowl had often reflected on this, when inclined to consider the limitations of the institution he served. In some ways, only the blindest of fools could fail to see that much that had once been pristine and powerful had degraded over time, falling in disuse and disrepair. In other respects, the Imperium’s power had never been greater, not even during the fabled ages long past. Where its mechanical inventiveness had long since faded, its biological prowess had remained dazzlingly proficient. A man with sufficient coin could extend his life beyond the dreams of ancient humankind. A woman with enough power could maintain her health even within the thickest of toxic smogs. Humanity might have forgotten much, but it could still manipulate cells and tweak synapses, tug at chromo­somes and splice limbic systems.

The reliance on the mortal, on flesh over silicon, was not, like so much else, simply a product of desperation. It was more of an aesthetic choice, born out of long and deep-held antipathies. The human mind, whether psychic or no, had capabilities that no cogitator had ever truly matched, and if that power were combined with the dark arts of the neuropath and the chirurgeon-philosophical, then the potentialities were virtually limitless. The Navigator, the savant, the Space Marine, the sanctioned psyker – all of these opened doors and performed functions well in excess of any unaugmented mortal mind. In a galaxy of extraordinary fecundity, where a billion billion lives began every moment, stringent utilisation of the biological made a perfect, if typically ruthless, sense. Effective cogitator STCs were rare; brain-tissue ripe for surgical extension was as common as dirt.

Also, for someone looking for more Iron Snakes stories take a gander at both of the Sabbat Crusade anthologies. Both books have at least one or two short stories featuring them.
Also some fantastic AdMech stories as well.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 14, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Cooked Auto posted:

I disagree with Ultramarines being the most boring ones. That reward goes to the Imperial Fists. :colbert:

Agreed, at least the Ultramarines are the fanciest dancers in the Imperium.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Marines are the worst part of 40k in the same way Jedi are the worst part of Star Wars :colbert:

Salamanders are the rare exception

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Slaan posted:

Marines are the worst part of 40k in the same way Jedi are the worst part of Star Wars :colbert:

: No.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Poil posted:

Objectively wrong. ANGRY BOYS best boys.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

They are now that the BDSM elements are non-canon.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

Why did they get rid of that?

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The Blood Ravens have a lot of psykers for other reasons too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It's always kind of weird to see that opening cutscene where the missile launcher squads try to punch tanks to death. I guess the scripting got broken in a patch at some point, I seem to remember it worked correctly when I played it back in the day.

Also if we're discussing Space Marine books, I have to recommend Helsreach & Spears of The Emperor by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Also Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM is indeed another pro-read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

White Coke posted:

The what?