Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mines can be useful if you put them in areas with cover. The enemy rushes your tower defense and tries to head into the inconveniently placed nearby cover but gets violently rejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hunt11 posted:

Why did they get rid of that?

GW have never been comfortable with Slaaneshi depravity. The closest to good guys being literal nazis, sure. But kinky perverts, no!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Solumin posted:

The what?

That's definitely a reference to the Imperial Fists' usage of the Pain Glove. It's pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. You put on the glove and it hurts. A lot. Because Rogal Dorn bought into the whole 'pain is weakness leaving the body' malarkey.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM is indeed another pro-read.

Ciaphas Cain is great, would absolutely 2nd the recommendation.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Solumin posted:

The what?

In a Black Library book about the Imperial Fists they brand potential recruits on their asses with the chapter's symbol, and Fists regularly subject themselves to the Pain Glove, which is a gimp suit hooked up to a harness that holds them in place while their nervous system is stimulated to cause them pain, when they fail or think they have. There's probably more but I haven't read the book myself.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM is indeed another pro-read.

Obligatory follow up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCuOT8pnVSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRozBAIbaG4

OOrochi posted:

Ciaphas Cain is great, would absolutely 2nd the recommendation.

Just don't read all of them after one another, good way to get tired of the series. As a palate cleanser between 40k books it's great though.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
In Dark Crusade at least, the Imperial Guard is probably the weakest faction, but it's still one of my favorite things to do to boot up the game, get a nice firing line of turrets, tanks, and heavy weapon teams set up backed by three artillery tanks, and let wave after wave of enemies get smashed to pieces against it.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

In Dark Crusade at least, the Imperial Guard is probably the weakest faction, but it's still one of my favorite things to do to boot up the game, get a nice firing line of turrets, tanks, and heavy weapon teams set up backed by three artillery tanks, and let wave after wave of enemies get smashed to pieces against it.
There´s always a special kind of feeling to roll up against demons and aliens with a bunch of "normal" humans and blast them to bits.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
So when you get to the later games, what is your stance on mods going to be? I know there are a couple really good ones for Soulstorm and Dark Crusade. Soulstorm has Ultimate Apocalypse, which is a massive overhaul that adds tons of new units and functionality to all the factions, plus entirely new factions, but only works in multiplayer or skirmish.

Dark Crusade has Titanium Wars, which is like a stripped down version of Ultimate Apocalypse. Still a lot of new units and some new functionality, plus a good bit of rebalancing to make the IG not pathetic and the Eldar not overpowering, plus it works in campaign which is always a good time.

EDIT: Now that I've finished the video, I see you already mentioned the mods. That'll learn me to post before catching up.

Also my favorite part of the ending cutscene of mission 1 is how they're like, "I sense you have a question. Please, ask!" "Okay, well is this thing true?" "*Gasp* How dare you ask that! Don't open your fool mouth again!" Dick move, Isador. The motherfucker wasn't even going to say anything until you told him to.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 15, 2020

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Gothsheep posted:

So when you get to the later games, what is your stance on mods going to be? I know there are a couple really good ones for Soulstorm and Dark Crusade. Soulstorm has Ultimate Apocalypse, which is a massive overhaul that adds tons of new units and functionality to all the factions, plus entirely new factions, but only works in multiplayer or skirmish.

Dark Crusade has Titanium Wars, which is like a stripped down version of Ultimate Apocalypse. Still a lot of new units and some new functionality, plus a good bit of rebalancing to make the IG not pathetic and the Eldar not overpowering, plus it works in campaign which is always a good time.

I think there's a mod add-on that lets Ultimate Apocalypse work on campaigns, but the general stance on mods is probably going to be dicking around with them after I play through Soulstorm and a few vanilla multiplayer games.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

That's definitely a reference to the Imperial Fists' usage of the Pain Glove. It's pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. You put on the glove and it hurts. A lot. Because Rogal Dorn bought into the whole 'pain is weakness leaving the body' malarkey.

So it's that pain-box used on Paul Atreides in Dune, except given more development than it really needs.

Seconding the Ciaphas Cain recommendation, and the recommendation that you don't read more than one at a time. I enjoy them but they're formulaic to the point they're easy to meme on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gothsheep posted:

EDIT: Now that I've finished the video, I see you already mentioned the mods. That'll learn me to post before catching up.

Also my favorite part of the ending cutscene of mission 1 is how they're like, "I sense you have a question. Please, ask!" "Okay, well is this thing true?" "*Gasp* How dare you ask that! Don't open your fool mouth again!" Dick move, Isador. The motherfucker wasn't even going to say anything until you told him to.

Titanium Wars is also available for SS, though it seems you have to join a Discord to get it due to some sort of Moddb drama. There's also Redux, which seems to be a graphical remaster kind of deal.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Sylphosaurus posted:

There´s always a special kind of feeling to roll up against demons and aliens with a bunch of "normal" humans and blast them to bits.

The Imperial Guard had some good moments, especially in Winter Assault they were ridiculously over tuned and buggy so they were OP as heck. In contrast, by the time Dark Crusade rolled in, they were slightly weaker than average except against Eldar, which was a nearly unwinnable match up because harlequins literally deleted all your basic infantry with one click, it was insane.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Since you talked about humans trying to do the best they can in the awful situation of the grimdark future in your latest video, I wanted to mention how I liked the interaction between the Space Marines and IG commanders in Dark Crusade. Since I doubt we'll be playing as either faction. I always really liked how you could genuinely tell that both these men really did not want to be fighting each other and genuinely tried their very hardest to talk the other one down whenever possible, but their respective duties compelled them to continue fighting. It was a nice touch to show that neither one was a monster, but they lived in a universe that makes monsters out of good men.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 15, 2020

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Gothsheep posted:

Since you talked about humans trying to do the best they can in the awful situation of the grimdark future in your latest video, I wanted to mention how I liked the interaction between the Space Marines and IG commanders in Dark Crusade. Since I doubt we'll be playing as either faction. I always really liked how you could genuinely tell that both these men really did not want to be fighting each other and genuinely tried their very hardest to talk the other one down whenever possible, but their respective duties compelled them to continue fighting. It was a nice touch to show that neither one was a monster, but they lived in a universe that makes monsters out of good men.

My absolute favourite part of that exchange is the Blood Ravens executing the Guard who join your side after you kill the Commisar in charge for being traitors. It's just pure Space Marine.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

SoundwaveAU posted:

My absolute favourite part of that exchange is the Blood Ravens executing the Guard who join your side after you kill the Commisar in charge for being traitors. It's just pure Space Marine.

My favorite is this exchange when the IG is about to beat the marines:

"You're beaten. Spare your men and stand down."

"I'm not in the habit of ignoring the orders of my superiors."

"Then listen to my orders and stand down!"

Just the sheer loving balls on Alexander never fails to amuse me.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Of course, if either one of them had any ACTUAL brains, they'd suggest both contact their superiors, inform them of the conflicting orders of the two forces, and suggest those superiors contact each other to discuss the issue rather than just go "welp, our commanders gave us conflicting orders, and neither one of us is willing to disobey or question it, GUESS WE GOTTA KILL EACH OTHER".

Kick the conflict up the chain, guys. But of course that would potentially mean less death and war in the grim darkness of the Grim Grimdark and is thus too intelligent for characters in this series. (Unless kicking it up the chain resulted in a *larger* scale violent conflict where Segmentum Command ends up declaring the entire Blood Ravens chapter traitors or something... hmmm...)

(To clarify, I am still okay with this, as it's still fun to play. But I maintain my right to nitpick when characters are engaging in plot-mandated-stupidity :P)

EDIT: At least in Soulstorm, Imperials fighting the Sisters of Battle had a decent justification of "These women are loving lunatics and there is no reasoning with them"

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 15, 2020

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Oh I see :catstare:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Of course, if either one of them had any ACTUAL brains, they'd suggest both contact their superiors, inform them of the conflicting orders of the two forces, and suggest those superiors contact each other to discuss the issue rather than just go "welp, our commanders gave us conflicting orders, and neither one of us is willing to disobey or question it, GUESS WE GOTTA KILL EACH OTHER".

I believe at this point, Kyras was already controlling the Blood Ravens. Alexander had contacted command and was following his orders from them. The bottom line is that the Blood Ravens were in the wrong, and knew they were in the wrong. A lot of their problems in Dawn of War 2 came from the rift they created with the IG in Dark Crusade.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gothsheep posted:

I believe at this point, Kyras was already controlling the Blood Ravens. Alexander had contacted command and was following his orders from them. The bottom line is that the Blood Ravens were in the wrong, and knew they were in the wrong. A lot of their problems in Dawn of War 2 came from the rift they created with the IG in Dark Crusade.

I thought the issues came from the shitshow that was Soulstorm but what happened with Dark Crusade mad everything more complicated.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

I thought the issues came from the shitshow that was Soulstorm but what happened with Dark Crusade mad everything more complicated.

I'm definitely not the best person to talk about this (I barely played DoW2 or its expansions) and I'm not sure how much I should say due to spoilers. I seriously doubt we'll be playing as the Marines again in Dark Crusade or Soulstorm, but still a little worried I might say more than Roboky would have liked.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Hunt11 posted:

Definetly both, although the Kaurava campaign was a hilarious mess of a dumpster fire for the Blood Ravens, the kind of disaster that cripples a space marine's chapter for centuries or even worse.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Gothsheep posted:

My favorite is this exchange when the IG is about to beat the marines:

"You're beaten. Spare your men and stand down."

"I'm not in the habit of ignoring the orders of my superiors."

"Then listen to my orders and stand down!"

Just the sheer loving balls on Alexander never fails to amuse me.

Coming in at a close second, for other reasons, is the CSM trying to trash-talk the Tau during the story missions :D

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Oh man these games are so good. I don't know why I can never get the Steam versions working, so I'll have to settle for this.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Gothsheep posted:

He was. I'm not saying it would have solved the problem, but Thule and Alexander had no way of knowing that, and should have at least tried to get Kyras and Segmentum Command to talk it out, and I don't see a lot of hints that they did; Alexander's following his orders from Segmentum Command to secure the planet, and they supercede a Space Marine Captain telling him to get lost.

But yeah, we're not even into Winter Assault yet, much less Dark Crusade, so maybe we should put a lid on this until we get a bit closer :P

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

This game was basically how I found out about the WH40K universe.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i think i remember you guys doing some poo poo in like typhoon or whatever?

like i'm hella drunk but like avitus and more dead xenos or some poo poo?

uhn whatever praise the emperor or somethign

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
on second though i demand more corpses

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Technowolf posted:

hard :same:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Yeah, I remember watching that opening cutscenes when I didn't really know anything about the same, and watching the big shouty man shooting at the Mad Max orks. Fell in love with the setting right away.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
when I watched the opening cutscenes (i started with Dawn of War), I thought: man, every faction looks like a bunch of evil jackasses. AT LEAST THE TAU SEEM ALRIGHT, I"LL PLAY THE GOOD GUYS!

of course then i found out they were big propagandist, population sterilizing, Big Brother, end-justifies-the-means fuckos and understood that, yeah, everything one and thing in 40k sucks. but by then i'd come to love melting everything with plasma from across the map, so it was all good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

It was the opposite for me. As in I will always remember walking into a Games Workshop store and seeing them showing of the game on a monitor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sally posted:

when I watched the opening cutscenes (i started with Dawn of War), I thought: man, every faction looks like a bunch of evil jackasses. AT LEAST THE TAU SEEM ALRIGHT, I"LL PLAY THE GOOD GUYS!

of course then i found out they were big propagandist, population sterilizing, Big Brother, end-justifies-the-means fuckos and understood that, yeah, everything one and thing in 40k sucks. but by then i'd come to love melting everything with plasma from across the map, so it was all good.

Name one thing that cap'n bluddflag does that isn't the morally correct thing to do.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FoolyCharged posted:

Name one thing that cap'n bluddflag does that isn't the morally correct thing to do.

Hording all the hats and not letting his boyz wear any.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Gothsheep posted:

Yeah, I remember watching that opening cutscenes when I didn't really know anything about the same, and watching the big shouty man shooting at the Mad Max orks. Fell in love with the setting right away.

Count me as one of the people who found 40k this way. So most of my knowledge comes from the games, and reading random wiki entries.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FoolyCharged posted:

not sharing the hats!

EDIT: beaten above ^^^

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Sally posted:

I miss the days when the Tau were in fact legitimately good. I mean sure there we always some hints that something was off with the Ethereal Caste but other than that Tau were for the most part on the up and up. I liked how they played them up as hopelessly naive and optimistic and how well that contrasted against the rest of the setting. It didn't really mess anything up either because there was always this very clear undertone of one day they are going to learn how truly horrible the Galaxy they are in is, but until that day comes and maybe even after it they will strive to be the best they can be. They were almost certainly doomed to fail but honestly, I feel that just made for a better story. Like as Coolguy and RoboKy discuss in the most recent video some of the best storytelling in 40k is when you have genuinely good people doing their damndest to be the better person in this crapsack of universe they are stuck in. They often fail and frequently become jaded as time goes on but they never stop trying to do the right thing no matter how hard it is or how easy it to take the low road instead.

Now, Gamesworkshop seems to bounce back and forth between the Tau are actually just as bad as the rest they just hide it better to the Tau were on the up and up once but most of their leadership has been hijacked by mind worms and that is why so many terrible things happen under their watch. Admittedly I am not 100 percent up to date with the story so it may have changed again but the last time I checked it something like that.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 17, 2020

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Lucky gits.
looks at Fire Warrior with mixed emotions

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

cokerpilot posted:

I miss the days when the Tau were in fact legitimately good. I mean sure there we always some hints that something was off with the Ethereal Caste but other than that Tau were for the most part on the up and up. I liked how they played them up as hopelessly naive and optimistic and how well that contrasted against the rest of the setting. It didn't really mess anything up either because there was always this very clear undertone of one day they are going to learn how truly horrible the Galaxy they are in is, but until that day comes and maybe even after it they will strive to be the best they can be. They were almost certainly doomed to fail but honestly, I feel that just made for a better story. Like as Coolguy and RoboKy discuss in the most recent video some of the best storytelling in 40k is when you have genuinely good people doing their damndest to be the better person in this crapsack of universe they are stuck in. They often fail and frequently become jaded as time goes on but they never stop trying to do the right thing no matter how hard it is or how easy it to take the low road instead.

Funny enough, I don't recall where so if you ask for specifics you're going to get a shrug, but I do remember hearing that it was strongly hinted that there was a period of time during the 'dark age of technology' that humanity lived hand-in-hand with other species in a very huggy Star Trek style federation. And it was only after "things" happened that humanity shifted to a much more xenophobic footing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gothsheep posted:

Funny enough, I don't recall where so if you ask for specifics you're going to get a shrug, but I do remember hearing that it was strongly hinted that there was a period of time during the 'dark age of technology' that humanity lived hand-in-hand with other species in a very huggy Star Trek style federation. And it was only after "things" happened that humanity shifted to a much more xenophobic footing.

The Emperor was also very Xeno-unfriendly. But Pre-Emperor High Age humanity wouldn't have been much of a threat to Pre-Fall Eldar.
No Spice Marines, and the Eldar with an elfpower pool to rival the M42 Guard is just not going to lead to a good time.