Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I took a detour from Horus Heresy to some Imperial Guard fiction. Namely, The Last Chancers, and now, Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM).

The author mentioned that the pronunciation is with a hard "k" sound. So that's that.

But what a contrast! The Last Chancers is from 2001, and is very, very GrimDark, and Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM) is... not. Still good though. Interestingly, both have plenty of Tau and Tyranids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I love the Cain books even if they do settle into a somewhat predictable pattern.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The Cain books are excellent to read between other 40k books, but get really boring fast if you read them in a row.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ludicrous Soustorm Megamod Unification just released its latest, adding Krieg and Death Guard alongside a bunch of new stuff for the other races. Krieg has blimps.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unification-mod-dawn-of-war-soulstorm

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Did they add Rogal Dorn!?

Surely that's heresy.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mordja posted:

Ludicrous Soustorm Megamod Unification just released its latest, adding Krieg and Death Guard alongside a bunch of new stuff for the other races. Krieg has blimps.

About loving time.

Version 6.9
...Cheeky bastards.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Mordja posted:

Yeah I've been intentionally holding off on doing any unification stuff because I had this general feeling it was going to be updating soon. That'll be good for sitting down and goofing around with when the time comes.

Also yeah Soulstorm should be starting this week assuming you know, the usual disasters of the current era don't strike.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah I've been intentionally holding off on doing any unification stuff because I had this general feeling it was going to be updating soon. That'll be good for sitting down and goofing around with when the time comes.
Same, I'd never played the last version because the new one was always coming "soon."

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oddly enough I tried to download the torrent, but for some reason it made my CPU load increase and my page file balloon by several gigs when I removed it. :raise:
Might need to try again later or just use an alternate download method.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Let's Play a little bit of Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm

Dawn of War Soulstorm Episode 1: The Sisters of Battle

Oh boy, so we're onto this hot mess now. Yes ladies and gentlemen, we're doing Soulstorm but due to the many technical difficulties of this game it won't be a full campaign. But that doesn't mean we can't examine the game at all, as a lot has changed from Dark Crusade and a lot is worth talking about. Do you like flamers and holy powers? Do you like me accidentally misnaming the secondary commander unit as the "Cardinal" and not the Confessor? You're in oddly specific luck! The Imperial Guard however are not in luck as they are the nearest entity to the Sisters.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think you called the "Confessor" a "Deacon". So, your post about your mistake was also a mistake.

How very appropriate for Soulstorm.

I really did not get anywhere trying to play the game. I didn't even hit any of the bugs. I just hated the gameplay. I hated that the buildings weren't persistent, so every time an enemy hit your territory, you had to fight the same battle all over again. And defending a territory is okay maybe once, but not every single turn.

C'mon man, how about some love for Carron? Boreale, sure, but Carron!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

painedforever posted:

I think you called the "Confessor" a "Deacon". So, your post about your mistake was also a mistake.

How very appropriate for Soulstorm.

I really did not get anywhere trying to play the game. I didn't even hit any of the bugs. I just hated the gameplay. I hated that the buildings weren't persistent, so every time an enemy hit your territory, you had to fight the same battle all over again. And defending a territory is okay maybe once, but not every single turn.

C'mon man, how about some love for Carron? Boreale, sure, but Carron!

Don't worry, Carron's getting his love. We're murdering him with the Dark Eldar.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Surprised me that you didn't mention the ability that the seraphim squad has to prevent units around them from breaking.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

painedforever posted:

I took a detour from Horus Heresy to some Imperial Guard fiction. Namely, The Last Chancers, and now, Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM).

The author mentioned that the pronunciation is with a hard "k" sound. So that's that.

But what a contrast! The Last Chancers is from 2001, and is very, very GrimDark, and Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM) is... not. Still good though. Interestingly, both have plenty of Tau and Tyranids.

I read The Last Chancers, but I don't remember liking it much. I've always liked Fifteen Hours and Double Eagle, and I've been meaning to give Gunheads a try one day, but the price of the books is ridiculous, even on Kindle. Keeping in tradition with everything else related to Warhammer, I suppose.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 2: Sisters of Battles versus Imperial Guard Stronghold

Today we face the might of the Imperial Guard! Imperial on Imperial violence abounds, in a mission that actually puts quite a bit of pressure on the player as VANCE STUBBS works hard to correct the mistakes of his predecessor, but also works hard to make one other incredibly famous goof of his own.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That is a lot of Baneblades to misplace.

Also yeah I can see why there won't be a full LP of this anymore. That's an atrocious bug.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Man, they didn't even get the Commissar voice-actor for the campaign.

Also, as I remember hearing it somewhere, Gorgutz also didn't come back. They used recordings or grunts or generic lines to fake his involvement.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

That is a lot of Baneblades to misplace.

Also yeah I can see why there won't be a full LP of this anymore. That's an atrocious bug.

How the gently caress have they not bothered to fix that after so many years and with all the money gamesworkshop has?
Edit: they're probably just said "gently caress it" minimum support/effort for it and collect money I guess?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The studio it was farmed out to died during the big THQ meltdown.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Iron Lore Entertainment was an independent studio, that went under before Soulstorm even was released. The game came out in March 2008, and ILE closed in February the same year. The studio couldn't get funding for their next project. The money had run out and that was that.

Relic made the two patches Soulstorm did get. Which I reckon was more a labor of love from some of DoW1 devs then anything resembling actual support for the game (especially since, if I recall correctly, it took more then half a year before patch 1.1 came out that fixed some big game breaking bugs). Soulstorm was the second standalone expansion to a 4 year old game, so even if ILE had managed to release Soulstorm in a good state, THQ probably wouldn't have given it much support.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 12, 2022

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
To be fair, he didn't misplace any Baneblades. They were exactly where they were intended to be. They were produced, assigned and shipped to the front. The silliness of that being done for Baneblades instead of like, Hellhounds aside, the mistake was in not keeping any tanks in reserve, not that he just lost them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Forgotten I hadn't watched the first Soulstorm video yet when the new one popped up.
Funny enough re-read the 2nd edition Sisters of Battle codex recently, and the 3rd ed Witch Hunter book.

Speaking of the Arco-Flagellants that is done to the ones who had committed heinous crimes or some serious heresy. Not so much for penitence as more of punishment.
In their first iteration of the rules they could only be taken in a Witch Hunters army if you had a priest in your army, because only the Ecclesiarchy could authorise their usage.

Another fun point with the arco-flagellants is that they are kept calm via soothing hymns and such played via their helmets, once those are turned off? It's murder time dawg.

Speaking of Repentia, I believe that they were good during one point after their 9th ed book as murder missiles. A role that was supplanted (I believe) by a unit from the other new faction of this expansion.

Now the Penitent Engine on the other hand was also very infamous for being an utter bitch to assemble. This was long before GW got good with their plastic kits, so it was made out of pewter.
Unless you pinned the arms it was held together by hopes and prayers pretty much.
I believe people were very, very happy about the plastic version when it was announced.

Funny enough there is another semi-related model that people had very similar opinions about when it came to assembly and keeping itself fully assembled, namely Inquisitor Karamazov' and his murder throne.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 12, 2022

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's utterly bizarre is Iron Lore also made Titan Quest, which is one of the better Diablo II successor games. So it's not like they were just bad developers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You should do the Chaos stronghold as the Eldar. Featuring a guest appearance by a completely unrelated commander thanks to a bug!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Night10194 posted:

What's utterly bizarre is Iron Lore also made Titan Quest, which is one of the better Diablo II successor games. So it's not like they were just bad developers.

Yeah, they just couldn't get off the ground for their next project and had to wind up. One of the higher ups got a new studio started and they made Grim Dawn, which for all we know might have been the project they had originally intended on making.

Cythereal posted:

You should do the Chaos stronghold as the Eldar. Featuring a guest appearance by a completely unrelated commander thanks to a bug!

We're doing it as the Dark Eldar, but don't worry we will discuss these sorts of bugs.

Cooked Auto posted:

Speaking of the Arco-Flagellants that is done to the ones who had committed heinous crimes or some serious heresy. Not so much for penitence as more of punishment.
In their first iteration of the rules they could only be taken in a Witch Hunters army if you had a priest in your army, because only the Ecclesiarchy could authorise their usage.

More than one person has sort of jumped on this penitence thing I mentioned and I think it's important to note that we're talking in the way the Imperium views these sorts of things. The Emperor's Mercy is being shot in the head. Being turned into a near-mindless cybernetic berserker is both the punishment and the penance for your crime, your body serving in your identity-death to work for the Imperium you forsook. The much larger variation of this is literally called "THE PENITENT ENGINE" where even when (under torture) you confess to what you did and repent for it and they decide to throw you in a giant rig to go into battle to die anyway because what you did was too horrible for being shot in the head or some other manner of general execution. Punishment and penance are not mutually exclusive.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah, they just couldn't get off the ground for their next project and had to wind up. One of the higher ups got a new studio started and they made Grim Dawn, which for all we know might have been the project they had originally intended on making.
Funnily enough, their next game (well, after the city builder they just put into early access) is supposed to be an RTS. Hope history doesn't repeat itself! :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

More than one person has sort of jumped on this penitence thing I mentioned and I think it's important to note that we're talking in the way the Imperium views these sorts of things. The Emperor's Mercy is being shot in the head. Being turned into a near-mindless cybernetic berserker is both the punishment and the penance for your crime, your body serving in your identity-death to work for the Imperium you forsook. The much larger variation of this is literally called "THE PENITENT ENGINE" where even when (under torture) you confess to what you did and repent for it and they decide to throw you in a giant rig to go into battle to die anyway because what you did was too horrible for being shot in the head or some other manner of general execution. Punishment and penance are not mutually exclusive.

Admittedly I had the lore text for them in my head still after reading through their 3rd edition book very recently, hence why the penitence remark stood out to me.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

I'm pretty sure it actually was Titan Quest that killed the studio, due to the overzealous anti-piracy measures. The game was set up to immediately CTD without explanation at various points if it didn't detect the verification procedures, and depending on who you ask either there were so many pirates who didn't realize the cause complaining about it that it got a reputation for being broken, or that the measures didn't work correctly and hit a certain amount of legitimate players as well. Regardless of which happened, the game ended up with terrible press which wasn't helped by the devs deleting any discussions of the crashes off their forums without explaining the protection features, and it ended up sinking them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's so incredible boneheaded. :psyduck:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

kvx687 posted:

I'm pretty sure it actually was Titan Quest that killed the studio, due to the overzealous anti-piracy measures. The game was set up to immediately CTD without explanation at various points if it didn't detect the verification procedures, and depending on who you ask either there were so many pirates who didn't realize the cause complaining about it that it got a reputation for being broken, or that the measures didn't work correctly and hit a certain amount of legitimate players as well. Regardless of which happened, the game ended up with terrible press which wasn't helped by the devs deleting any discussions of the crashes off their forums without explaining the protection features, and it ended up sinking them.

Did these guys also do Grim Dawn? Because that seems to have a lot of the same DNA.

Somebody mentioned 1d4chan, and I have to admit, I spend a lot of time reading those articles rather than the lexicanum wiki (because, y'know, it might not be wholly accurate, but it is funny). The only thing I've heard about the Sisters of Battle is something called "Khornate Knights". What the hell was that about?

And weren't the Sisters known for not falling to Chaos? Or was that somebody else?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

kvx687 posted:

I'm pretty sure it actually was Titan Quest that killed the studio, due to the overzealous anti-piracy measures.
DRM is generally something the publisher demands and has put in.
On that note: There was an interview with a director from THQ about Iron Lore, and that rear end in a top hat naturally blamed piracy for Iron Lore going under. Instead of publishers like them not funding ILE.

painedforever posted:

Did these guys also do Grim Dawn? Because that seems to have a lot of the same DNA.
Yup. Crate Entertainment was founded by former Iron Lore dudes. Grim Dawn's engine was build on top off Titan Quest's codebase. Also I'm fairly sure that the "Black Legion" game that Iron Lore had tried to pitch to publishers but couldn't get funding for, is Grim Dawn.

painedforever posted:

The only thing I've heard about the Sisters of Battle is something called "Khornate Knights". What the hell was that about?
Oof. That's a meme reference to a thing from the 5th edition Grey Knights codex.
The quick version is that the Grey Knights arrived on a planet where the local population was infected by a chaos demon. Everyone was going bugfuck insane, except for a small convent of Sisters of Battle whose faith kept them pure and unharmed. The Grey Knights' solution was to slaughter the Sisters and use the Sisters' blood to create protective wards on their armour (basically using blood like some insane Khorne cultist, hence "Khornate Knights"). The Grey Knights then banished the demon and hosed off.
It was dumb and a lot of fandom used it as just another excuse to go "gently caress Matt Ward". But GW using the Sisters as sacrificial lambs is something that happened before and after Matt Ward, so.:shrug:

I think the 7th edition Grey Knight codex retconned things by removing all mentions of the Sisters from the Bloodtide story.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 16, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Raygereio posted:

The quick version is that the Grey Knights arrived on a planet where the local population was infected by a chaos demon. Everyone was going bugfuck insane, except for a small convent of Sisters of Battle whose faith kept them pure and unharmed. The Grey Knights' solution was to slaughter the Sisters and use the Sisters' blood to create protective wards on their armour (basically using blood like some insane Khorne cultist, hence "Khornate Knights"). The Grey Knights then banished the demon and hosed off.
It was dumb and a lot of fandom used it as just another excuse to go "gently caress Matt Ward". But GW using the Sisters as sacrificial lambs is something that happened before and after Matt Ward, so.:shrug:

~EW~ gross.

I remember reading another Grey Knights short story which wasn't so much about the Grey Knights shooting up the daemons as it was about the detail and sacrifice and prayer that goes into every single bolter round that they shoot off.

It was pretty epic, if a bit gun-porn-y.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
The really funny bit was the fact grey knights are so anti-chaos they have wards etched directly onto their bones and possibly organs as well. It was like reinforcing a tank by taping one of those magic mall crystals guaranteed to repel toxins, 5g radiations and vaccines to it. A lot of people just took it as a sign of how little GW cared about its own products and it's also one of those kinda uncomfortable bits where women get brutally destroyed that pops up every so often. I remember hearing that the dawn of war novel adaptations got kinda creepy with regard to the eldar farseer as another example, but I never read those books so mileage may vary on that one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

5th edition is definitely the point where the writing was starting to slowly creep up its own rear end about being as grimdark as possible.
Which didn't come really into bloom until 6th ed but there were definitive signs that the writers wanted things to be more grimmer and more serious.

I definitely rolled my eyes as a lot of the text in the Tempestus Scion codex that talked about rebels being used as mortar and that Schola Progenium students had to kill one of their friends to pass.

But all I remember about CS Goto's book is the prevalence of multilasers, and that in one of them a stick is used to destroy a Grav Tank. Don't think anyone took them seriously and just found the exceedingly stupid.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

The C S Goto book was the first one I read, because of Dawn of War. In retrospect, they were terrible. While I was reading it, I was like, "Eh, it's okay, I hope it all isn't like this."

I remember two things from the book. The first was the Colonel getting more and more upset and smoking, and then he goes full heretic. The second was the start, in which the Eldar are using Khaine to fight the cultists, and the Inquisition grab a shard of the Wailing Doom to put into the Godsplitter warhammer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Goto's the MULTILASERS guy, right?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yes, as I remarked earlier.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 3: Dark Eldar Introduction

The other faction added to Soulstorm, which to be honest I'd probably played twice before picking up for the Let's Play! I'm never quite sure what to make of the Dark Eldar in Soulstorm, except for the fact that they've got a lot of tricks to try to keep track of, and a lot of ways to turn things back to their own personal advantage. Needless to say next time in the Stronghold mission there's going to be a lot of Vect chat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Unification report: Krieg is a lot of fun. They have several unique mechanics, for example their bunkers can suppress infantry, making them play kinda like a CoH faction, when their morale breaks they go berserk and can't be controlled, a lot of their units can use mustard gas. Their Rough Riders can affix explosive lances and absolutely ruin vehicles on a charge and one of their Titans is a giant zeppelin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

There used to be a great Player's Guide for Dawn of War on Relic's Community Wiki (which no longer exists). But there's still an entry for it on the Wayback Machine, and most of the pages still work.

It's all here: http://web.archive.org/web/20120821190526/http://wiki.reliccommunity.com/index.php?title=Dawn_of_War_Player%27s_Guide