Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mordja posted:

Unification report: Krieg is a lot of fun. They have several unique mechanics, for example their bunkers can suppress infantry, making them play kinda like a CoH faction, when their morale breaks they go berserk and can't be controlled, a lot of their units can use mustard gas. Their Rough Riders can affix explosive lances and absolutely ruin vehicles on a charge and one of their Titans is a giant zeppelin.

It's too bad they apparently got a chud to voice the Kriegers if his youtube channel is anything to go by.

Also could you confirm whether this is an actual scheme they included in the mod or not, I saw on posted on Discord:

Because I've heard a lot of good things about that mod but this kinda seems like a dealbreaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ye-oof.
That would've been fine without the flag I think.

Mordja posted:

Unification report: Krieg is a lot of fun. They have several unique mechanics, for example their bunkers can suppress infantry, making them play kinda like a CoH faction, when their morale breaks they go berserk and can't be controlled, a lot of their units can use mustard gas. Their Rough Riders can affix explosive lances and absolutely ruin vehicles on a charge and one of their Titans is a giant zeppelin.

I was sold until that last part I will admit.

Meanwhile I still haven't been able to download the mod because their mod file is still busted as poo poo. Which people have pointed out in the moddb comments so I know it's just not me, but they can't seem to give a drat about it.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 19, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is that really a surprise? To me krieg kinda seems like a massive wehrabo magnet. (obviously not every player who likes or plays them is one)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's not really much of a surprise no. They, and the Steel Legion a bit, have always attracted the sketchier part of the fanbase.
One reason I painted mine french blue.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Ye-oof.
That would've been fine without the flag I think.

At least it's just a flag of the pre-WWI empire mixed in, and not anything relating too much to '33-'45. Though I do realise some wehraboos like to use this above flag instead, because it's 'cleaner'.
(The Iron Cross is still in use today, for what it's worth.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's a bunch of Guard regiments I'd be intensely wary of anyone being a big fan of. Krieg, the Praetorians (British Redcoats in space, with Orks standing in for the Zulus), and the Confederates (grey uniforms and all) prominent among them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The last one is definitely one that only die hard fans remember I feel.
But then the 1st 3rd ed codex regiment list had a lot of those that kinda make you go "Wait what?" when reading.

Lynneth posted:

At least it's just a flag of the pre-WWI empire mixed in, and not anything relating too much to '33-'45. Though I do realise some wehraboos like to use this above flag instead, because it's 'cleaner'.

That is true.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Lynneth posted:

Yeah, no, in Germany the old flags are just nationalists and fascists instead of outright Nazis, it's a smart way to avoid the Bundesverfassungsschutz banning you.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RagnarokZ posted:

Bundesverfassungsschutz

so whats this in English

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution
I think they're the equivalent to the FBI in Germany.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

RagnarokZ posted:

Bundesverfassungsschutz

I love that. German's the best language.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You got the events of the Plague of Unbelief a bit mixed up.
Cardinal Bucharis formed a triumvirate alongside a corrupt Guard and Navy commander and the action didn't really kick off until after Vandire was executed and Sebastian Thor took over.
The fact that this happened was covered up Bucharis because Gathalamor was an isolated system and Bucharis heavily suppressed anything about what happened elsewhere to keep himself in power.

Also I think you're also mixing it up with the events of the first war on Armageddon against Angron's daemon hordes where Björn shows up. The original text on the Battle of the Fang makes no mention of him showing up in this case.

And then Bucharis gets undone by his own equivalent of Sebastian Thor. Even if this one doesn't survive his mock trial.

To remark on something different, in one of the Dark Heresy splatbook for the first edition has a faction called The Temple Tendency, who are the survivors of the old ways of the Ecclesiarchy. To pretty much everyone else they're really an insidious heretical cult since they deny the current teachings and still uphold the Temple of the Saviour Emperor of the old days.
They also loathe the Sisters and will do anything they can to make them suffer for their treachery.

Ah yeah, for anyone curious what happens when Celestine dies and what she needs to do to come back, then read Celestine, the Living Saint

Also the Paragon warsuits are much cooler than the Space Marine Centurions. :colbert:

May I interest you in the newest version of Kill Team? :cheeky:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 20, 2022

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Cooked Auto posted:

You got the events of the Plague of Unbelief a bit mixed up.
Cardinal Bucharis formed a triumvirate alongside a corrupt Guard and Navy commander and the action didn't really kick off until after Vandire was executed and Sebastian Thor took over.
The fact that this happened was covered up Bucharis because Gathalamor was an isolated system and Bucharis heavily suppressed anything about what happened elsewhere to keep himself in power.

Also I think you're also mixing it up with the events of the first war on Armageddon against Angron's daemon hordes where Björn shows up. The original text on the Battle of the Fang makes no mention of him showing up in this case.

To remark on something different, in one of the Dark Heresy splatbook for the first edition has a faction called The Temple Tendency, who are the survivors of the old ways of the Ecclesiarchy. To pretty much everyone else they're really an insidious heretical cult since they deny the current teachings and still uphold the Temple of the Saviour Emperor of the old days.
They also loathe the Sisters and will do anything they can to make them suffer for their treachery.

Ah yeah, for anyone curious what happens when Celestine dies and what she needs to do to come back, then read Celestine, the Living Saint

Also the Paragon warsuits are much cooler than the Space Marine Centurions. :colbert:

Not gonna lie I was really confused as to what you were even talking about since you're commenting on a completely different video to what just came out and it's weird when apropos of nothing you just start talking about something that I posted over a week ago and recorded audio for four weeks ago. Also my confusion was actually referencing the first siege of The Fang when Magnus attacked, mixed up with the second one when Bucharis attacked.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I probably should've mentioned I watched the Guard video because I'm behind videos due to it being so drat hot or humid that watching anything is impossible because I need to have a jet engine of a fan running as not to die.
My bad on that.

And I will admit not being aware of the first siege. Because the second one also involves Space Wolves being mostly away on doing other things when they show up.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

You say that like it's a high bar to cross.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Laughing Zealot posted:

You say that like it's a high bar to cross.

Which is that? Because that looks like a Space Marine wearing power armour over their power armour because they like power-armour-ing while they power-armour.

Power-armour-power-armour-power-armour.

I think the words have stopped having any meaning.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

painedforever posted:

Which is that? Because that looks like a Space Marine wearing power armour over their power armour because they like power-armour-ing while they power-armour.

The aforementioned Centurions.

And, yes, it is just Space Marines wearing armor over their armor.

glocknar
May 17, 2017
So from what I can tell, the Dark Eldar game plan is to have the enemy everything be occupied shooting... something, lets say a Talos, for a couple seconds, and it's only a couple seconds because the TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DAMAGE Dark Eldar weapons put out so nothing lives for very long. And instead of upgrading from anti infantry to anti tank they upgrade to anit infantry from anti tank?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I didn't like the DEldar. Poncy elves, but also spikey and evil, what a great combination [/sarcasm].

When I play any of the Dawn of War games, I'll play a match on a skirmish map so that I can figure out what the units do, and how I can maximize the squad and vehicle cap. When I tried the new races in Soulstorm, I did that, and just "noped" my way through all of the units. I just didn't want to play any of them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I feel like both could be done better nowadays as GW has given them more love lately.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

painedforever posted:

It's like a space marine inside a space marine, a matryoshka marine if you like. Gotta love GW's insatiable lust for more money.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Me and my people have been persecuted for so long so I'm just gonna come out and say it: I kinda like Centurions. Now those Grey Knight babycarriers on the other hand, yeesh!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I dunno, it's kinda weird that they'll have armour on top of armour. Why not just have bigger armour? Why put on armour on top of armour?

The Grey Knight baby carrier is... yeah. But is it supposed to increase their armour save, or just give them greater reach and ability to use larger weapons? Because I'm thinking Aliens, and that powered forklift thing (which is probably what GW were also thinking).

No excuse for the exposed pilot though. The Sisters of Battle Pentitent Engine makes sense (as far as anything is supposed to make sense in the grim darkness of the far future) because it's meant to be a punishment.

Unless the Dreadknight is also meant to be a punishment?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Layered armor has existed for a very long time. Although putting a suit of plate armor outside another suit of plate armor was probably not very common.

Since it's all powered armor it might work. And even if it doesn't it's still far from the stupidest thing in Warhammer by lightyears.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Poil posted:

Layered armor has existed for a very long time. Although putting a suit of plate armor outside another suit of plate armor was probably not very common.

Layered armour, yes, but it's different types of armour for different uses. Gambeson goes at the bottom so it can also provide padding against the other layers (one of the things that the Black Carapace does, aside from providing ports for the power armour to plug in). Then you get the mail hauberk, which is good at dispersing impact, and also covers bits that can't be covered by plate. And then you get plate over it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Powered armor on powered armor means you can carry bigger things and hit harder with them.

No more logic needs to be applied, now space marines can use tanks as melee weapons.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

The power armour makes you strong enough to wear the other power armour. And that power armour makes you strong enough to wear the other power armour. And so on and so forth...

That way lies madness. Before you know it, you're wearing a city with a nuclear power plant on your back to power it.

... wait, they've done that, haven't they?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I mean that's basically a Titan, so, yes.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Waiting for the edition in which Hive Cities become mobile fortresses

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

raifield posted:

Waiting for the edition in which Hive Cities become mobile fortresses

I think that's an example world in the Rogue Trader RPG books? Well, not quite hive cities.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is one, Ambulon, that is featured in one of the pre-written Dark Heresy adventures that came in the Scourge the Heretic book. I think it's there at least.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

There is one, Ambulon, that is featured in one of the pre-written Dark Heresy adventures that came in the Scourge the Heretic book. I think it's there at least.

That's the one I was thinking of. God that name sounds like it's something out of Transformers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not wrong. And I'm sure there might be one or two more of them kicking around somewhere. I only really have the DH books and only Rogue Trader core.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

That's the one I was thinking of. God that name sounds like it's something out of Transformers.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ambulon

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It was! A comicbook only character from the excellent More Than Meets the Eye (the stories about the Lost Light spaceship). A failed early Decepticon experiment in combiners.

He was nice. Shame about what happened to him.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 4: Dark Eldar versus Chaos Space Marine Stronghold

THEY COME

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

tHeY cUuUmM!!!

I don't mind the soulstorm strongholds missions, they tend to be alright. The dark eldar one being the most unique one.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Laughing Zealot posted:

tHeY cUuUmM!!!

I don't mind the soulstorm strongholds missions, they tend to be alright. The dark eldar one being the most unique one.

I remember that as a joke for I set my defenses well enough that I never had to even breach the enemies base.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I remember that as a joke for I set my defenses well enough that I never had to even breach the enemies base.

As I said, unique. And a bit funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Laughing Zealot posted:

As I said, unique. And a bit funny.

You do have a point.