Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
You may be aware that the D&D Rules op has this little tidbit towards the bottom:

quote:

---D&D moderation makes use of ramping probations. Posters who are frequently probated, especially for the same offenses, will receive harsher punishments than largely well behaved posters.

This sort of policy just makes sense: it's basically a disclaimer that means "the mods can remove people who constantly ignore warnings and short probations". The problem is, we've done a poor job of consistently enforcing this policy, and a number of posters have picked up on this and pointed it out via PMs and/or QCS. While we are trying to be more conscious of this, we would like to hear from D&D posters about how best to do this.

In an early draft of the current D&D rules, ramping was specifically automatic: any poster who was probated for a repeat offense would, as a matter of policy, receive a longer probation for each subsequent offense. We decided that this didn't leave enough room for discretion; that it would be ridiculous to allow some mild but incorrigible shitposter to ramp their way up to a month for something that would be a six hour probe for someone else. It also was deemed to imply that the ramping probation was the standard, and that we would receive complaints if we immediately jumped to a week or month for a particularly egregious post. Instead, you we went with the general principle quoted above.

There also have been some forum-wide policy changes since we wrote the rules: bans and especially permabans are to be used sparingly, while thread and subforum bans for consistent problem posters are encouraged. We don't really have a formal policy on when to use these tools; our general guidelines are just that they should be used once it becomes clear a poster isn't going to respond to probations.

So, we want to hear from you:
---Should we implement a more formal ramping policy, in which the default is an automatic increase in length, or keep a freeform one and work to improve consistency?
---Where should thread and subforum bans fit into ramping policy, either the existing freeform one or a more structured one? How fast should be ramp to thread/subforum bans, and how long should they last before the poster can ask for clemency?
---As a general rule, how long between probations is appropriate for forgiveness? Clearly this is going to vary based on the severity of the offense, but we probably shouldn't be ramping people who get probations every six months, while we should for people who get them weekly.
---Anything else about ramping and how it should be used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The point of moderation is, IMO, to keep people happy and posting. Which I don't think one size fits all rules or policies about use of the mod tools are really conducive to. Threadbans etc seem fine if a particular thread has a problem with a particular poster (which you would presumably establish by asking or reading the thread) and if someone's stacking up threadbans they maybe would benefit from more general bans but otherwise TBH I think mod tools are best applied at the request of the community rather than the fiat of the moderators. If you're getting a lot of complaints in a thread you could just ask the thread what, if anything, to do about it. I don't think formal ramping policies are helpful because you can just use your own (and the community's) judgement instead. If there is a disconnect between the mod actions and the community then it is better, I think, to communicate before taking action

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: Removing this because it was more knee-jerk than I would have liked.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 12, 2020

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

quote:

D&D Feedback: Let's talk about ramping

a humble suggestion to start doing it before the given poster's rapsheet looks like

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
like maybe dispense with the "please stop doing that. user loses posting privileges for 6 hours." after their fiftieth probation of 2020, and move on to actual punishments

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Right now I think there's two problems with D&D: inconsistent and lax moderation (easier to fix) and the fact that the forum has become kind of an unreadable mess where the default tone and approach is "zero charity towards fellow posters, being hostile as possible, and trying to score points against your posting enemies" (harder to fix).

Here's what I'd like to see:

1. More mods and IKs. We have basically two and a half active mods (I'm giving Helsing half-a-mod status, since he's rarely around) - the other two mods are dead and completely absent (Ardennes).

Why this is important: D&D is a busy, fast moving forum that also generates a lot of reports. Because we have too small of a moderating team, the moderators instead are focused on responding to reports and stamping out fires when they arise - the problem with this is that because they're not engaging and actively reading and participating in threads, they're missing some of the more subtle problems that require a response but aren't as readily apparent through a quick read through, i.e. consistent bad faith posting, consistent trolling. It also makes applying ramps accurately and fairly more difficult.

2. Forum ban the 5 worst posters.

Why this is important: I can list these posters, but I think we all know who they are - as a guide look at people who have 125+ probations from D&D, including multiple bans in previous D&D in purges, and are rapidly climbing the top 100 most ignored users list. Note: this has nothing to do with political ideology or position on Biden - these posters have been shitposting and trolling in D&D for over a decade at this point, have run afoul of literally every moderating team, and add literally nothing to the forum. These posters also generate an outsize number of reports, so clearing them out first will lessen the moderating loan.

3. Implement clear ramps for posters who consistently violate the rules.

Why this is important: This somewhat runs afoul of what seems to be a recent view towards moderation of "probations aren't punishment, therefore probation length isn't indicative of offense" - but that view of moderation seems to not work, at all. Even if you don't believe probation is an effective deterrent, at least a longer probation protects the rest of the forum from reading hostile garbage for longer periods of time.

I think these three steps will help clear up the issues with moderation... which leads us to the exciting part 2: working on fixing D&Ds culture.

I do not think this is a controversial statement, but D&D kind of loving sucks to read. As much as this is a product of the world in which we live - which seems to be getting worse at every turn - its also because the atmosphere in D&D has become increasingly toxic. I'm tired of the default position of posters (including myself - I'm also guilty of this) being to view anyone who disagrees with them as a deliberately hostile posting enemy; to view posts as uncharitably as possible; and to relish scoring posting victories against your ideological opponents. And, even worse, there are way too many posts which are either: a. brokebrained doomposting which I think is actively harmful to the posters and the people reading it, or b. weird smug posting in which it seems the goal is to enjoy as much schadenfreude toward other posters as possible. I would love if we could cut that poo poo out.

Fixing this isn't going to be easy, but I do think moderation which is a little more flexible would be a start - focusing less on the absolute letter of the law and instead on "is this post/poster making the forum more or less toxic." Obviously we should start with 6'ers - but I'd love to see probations given out for someone just making GBS threads up a thread.

I also think we need to try to bring back the comedy to D&D as much as possible. That was my motivation for making the book review roulette thread - lets loving laugh at least a little bit. I would love to see the mods and IKs also try to make things more enjoyable - lets have fun mod challenges, gangtang contest, photoshop contests, etc. I think creating a better posting environment in D&D would go a long way to improving the overall atmosphere, and as a bonus would reduce reports and make ramps less necessary.

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 12, 2020

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah, too often it seems as though the people modding D&D act as though every offense is committed in a vacuum. They're not. Badposting is, more often than not, done in patterns, and too often it feels like the mod/IK looked at the single post, went "yeah I guess that is bad" and sixered them. Sometimes this even happens at midnight in the offender's local time zone--so the punishment goes completely unnoticed anyway.

You have to ask yourself--what's the loving point? Why DO it if it serves no purpose, teaches no lesson, and allows the moderator to go "yes, I definitely did my job" without actually doing their part to make the forums better?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You have to ask yourself--what's the loving point? Why DO it if it serves no purpose, teaches no lesson, and allows the moderator to go "yes, I definitely did my job" without actually doing their part to make the forums better?

That, broadly, would be my argument against unthinking ramping or procedure based moderation in general. Or the habit of communicating via probations instead of posts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Probations should cite the rule being violated directly where a crazy catchall isn't relevant. I agree that a strict, formal ramp isn't necessary. What is is that the rules, the listed ones, the ones that are supposed to be enforced, actually get enforced, and that ramps apply to the absurdly toxic subset of posters that poo poo up the subforum.

As a matter of course, more IKs aren't a way to resolve this issue. It requires more mods. The mods should not be selected for their involvement in forums discussion. They should be selected for being good moderators.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Yeah, too often it seems as though the people modding D&D act as though every offense is committed in a vacuum. They're not. Badposting is, more often than not, done in patterns, and too often it feels like the mod/IK looked at the single post, went "yeah I guess that is bad" and sixered them. Sometimes this even happens at midnight in the offender's local time zone--so the punishment goes completely unnoticed anyway.

I think the casual sixer represents a good way for a mod/IK to “nudge” or generally steer the forum or a thread without getting hip deep into rules lawyering, and is generally a good tool to have in the belt. Mandatory ramps will necessarily mean that probes should be restricted to objective rule violations, rather than subjective “this post seems dumb” slaps on the wrist. “Badposting” isn’t like a cut-and-dry thing, and punishments shouldn’t be either.

Seems like the answer here might be “more ramps” rather than “mandatory ramps”?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Why this is important: I can list these posters, but I think we all know who they are - as a guide look at people who have 125+ probations from D&D, including multiple bans in previous D&D in purges, and are rapidly climbing the top 100 most ignored users list. Note: this has nothing to do with political ideology or position on Biden - these posters have been shitposting and trolling in D&D for over a decade at this point, have run afoul of literally every moderating team, and add literally nothing to the forum. These posters also generate an outsize number of reports, so clearing them out first will lessen the moderating loan.

I agree in general with you but I would go further on this - Just outright permaban them. They have nothing to offer other than being a poison in the community and they have proven they will not improve / learn. Posters with 100+ non joke probations and high in the ignore lists should just be shown the door.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mandatory ramping is a bad policy. Consistent ramping when you've decided that someone merits it is a good policy.

For many of the select crew of 100-plus-probes-in-dnd-alone posters, you can quite easily scroll through their list and see many different times "ramps" have been applied and then forgotten about, over and over again, while making absolutely zero difference in terms of curtailing the bad behavior.

alternatively:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I agree in general with you but I would go further on this - Just outright permaban them. They have nothing to offer other than being a poison in the community and they have proven they will not improve / learn. Posters with 100+ non joke probations and high in the ignore lists should just be shown the door.

just do this

not for every poster with a long list of joke probes, but for the people that've been consistent problems across literally years of different mod teams

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I looked this up for a different thread, but this is one poster's rap sheet from June to mid-September. All from D&D.

PROBATION 09/14/20 09:10pm User loses posting privileges for 3 days.
PROBATION 09/14/20 05:34pm User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
PROBATION 09/11/20 12:50pm User loses posting privileges for 1 day.
PROBATION 09/09/20 11:32am User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
PROBATION 09/04/20 06:38pm User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
PROBATION 08/31/20 04:09pm User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
PROBATION 08/18/20 05:40pm User loses posting privileges for 1 week.
PROBATION 08/18/20 05:12pm User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
PROBATION 08/14/20 04:22pm User loses posting privileges for 3 days.
PROBATION 08/14/20 11:34am User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
PROBATION 08/04/20 03:58pm User loses posting privileges for 1 week.
PROBATION 08/04/20 03:12pm User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
PROBATION 08/02/20 02:09pm User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
PROBATION 07/30/20 11:30am User loses posting privileges for 1 day.
PROBATION 07/28/20 05:40pm User loses posting privileges for 1 day.
PROBATION 07/18/20 04:15pm User loses posting privileges for 1 week.
PROBATION 07/18/20 12:49pm User loses posting privileges for 1 day.
PROBATION 07/16/20 06:12pm User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.
PROBATION 07/09/20 02:15am User loses posting privileges for 3 days.
PROBATION 07/05/20 12:30pm User loses posting privileges for 18 hours.
PROBATION 06/08/20 03:33pm User loses posting privileges for 2 weeks.
PROBATION 06/08/20 03:25pm User loses posting privileges for 1 day.
PROBATION 06/03/20 10:36am User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

51 days of probation in three and a half months.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "long rap sheet!!!" by itself means absolutely loving nothing and should never, by itself, be used to justify much of anything. Particular when, in the context of D&D, you have rap sheets filled to the brim over the years with mod actions from mods who either had no issues blatantly hitting people based entirely on their personal vendettas or who were, say, secret nazis blatantly targeting leftists.

The fact that these practices and problems of modding based on grudges and allowed ideology have not at all ended with the current D&D staff makes the idea of more concrete and permanent punishments based on rap sheets accumulated here even more laughable.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 12, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "long rap sheet!!!" by itself means absolutely loving nothing and should never, by itself, be used to justify much of anything. Particular when, in the context of D&D, you have rap sheets filled to the brim over the years with mod actions from mods who either had no issues blatantly hitting people based entirely on their personal vendettas or who were, say, secret nazis blatantly targeting leftists.

I think its a combination of length, breadth, and consistency - including probations from when D&D thought Ron Paul would be our next President. Consistently eating probations for a decade from every single D&D moderating team while also being in the top 100 most ignored users probably means your posting isn't worthwhile enough to keep around.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

That, broadly, would be my argument against unthinking ramping or procedure based moderation in general. Or the habit of communicating via probations instead of posts.

My argument is that a detailed look at an offender's posting history WOULD result in a more informed decision as to whether a ramp would teach the appropriate lesson.

Right now, we have IKs who either cannot (not sure what their panels look like) or will not observe an offender's history before issuing a punishment, and no active moderators to assist them. It's not a situation that's sustainable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps, but that I think would fall under the communication and best judgment approach rather than the procedural one.

If someone is a pain (which I can't say I can think of anybody in particular who is) then the forum might benefit from excluding them but I think it is best to do this situationally rather than creating some sort of by the numbers system for moderation with the effect (or aim) of doling out longer and longer punishments across the board.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Oh Snapple! posted:

The fact that these practices and problems of modding based on grudges and allowed ideology have not at all ended with the current D&D staff makes the idea of more concrete and permanent punishments based on rap sheets accumulated here even more laughable.

This ignores that some of the worst offenders have gotten months off this year alone in increments of only a few hours to days over the year. There is a distinct difference in how shitposting is punished in DND where the same style of posting in gbs or PYF would be a week at min instead only gets a day at most in DND.

But the biggest thing that is needed is MORE MODS MORE MODS MORE MODS. Like jesus christ the two main active mods are burnt out, tired and don't want to deal with the shitpiles in several threads from chronic issues. You have one mod who literally does nothing and hasn't for months, and two others that handle everything else. GJB has been doing great since he got an ik and has been running USPOL fairly well, and somehow Herstory was actually able to get the thread that should not be named somewhat decent before it doubled down and even she got tired of dealing with it. There is not enough support for the people trying to police the threads that cause the worst issues, and they deserve more support and help. As it is DND is basically only dealing with the worst things that occur in 6 hour intervals now and assuming people won't return to repeat the same things over and over again, which is a joke.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I agree also. Such posters contribute nothing of value and have clearly not learned the lesson (that there are rules and they must be followed).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Also, I don't think it's a good argument to say "Well, what about joke probations?" Joke and junk probations are very easily distinguishable in 99% of cases from honest-to-God probations. The Leper's Colony is very clear.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

But the biggest thing that is needed is MORE MODS MORE MODS MORE MODS.

This. We have NO blue stars, just a gang of roving IKs knocking over mailboxes and administrators who cannot spend their lives on this one red-headed stepchild subforum.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Craig K posted:

a humble suggestion to start doing it before the given poster's rapsheet looks like

Not to be glib but yeah. The same people making the same bad faith circular arguments and getting the same sixer for it blows

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I feel like we're over-complicating something that's very simple: there are a couple dudes who are just miserable loving assholes all the time, and because they're assholes they interpret getting a sixer as proof that they're being persecuted for their RADICAL IDELOLOGY instead of a hint that they should maybe try to be less of an abrasive dickhead.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

I don’t agree - as someone who ate back-to-back D&D purge bans without a single probe between them (!!!), I can assure you that there have been some truly petty, insecure, and axe-grindy people in positions of power in D&D. There still are. Retroactively punishing people based on the actions of people so horrible they had to delete their accounts is bad. Punishing people because other posters can’t even bear to read a dissenting opinion is bad.

TheDisreputableDog fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 12, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I don't think rapsheet length judgements are needed. I also don't think position on the ignored by users list should be taken into account either.

Just enforce the written rules, and mention the broken rule in the probe. Ramp as necessary.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

edit I'm a dumb dumb who posted in the wrong thread.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 12, 2020

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Judging by rap sheet length is incredibly dumb, especially considering how stupidly volatile a number of moderators throughout SA's history have been, the varying standards across subforums, and the existence of joke sixers.

Sci-Fi Wi-Fi is doing a small DS9 competition where if you recommend an episode the OP likes you get to pick someone who's recommended an episode to eat a sixer. Imagine counting that towards whether or not someone gets to eat a ban.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neurolimal posted:

Judging by rap sheet length is incredibly dumb, especially considering how stupidly volatile a number of moderators throughout SA's history have been, the varying standards across subforums, and the existence of joke sixers.

Sci-Fi Wi-Fi is doing a small DS9 competition where if you recommend an episode the OP likes you get to pick someone who's recommended an episode to eat a sixer. Imagine counting that towards whether or not someone gets to eat a ban.

I would hope someone taking rap sheet into consideration for probe length would be looking at the actual details in said rap sheet rather than just going "three pages, god drat!" and smashing a week long probe or whatever. Context is obviously important.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oh Snapple! posted:

Full agreement with this post.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
this is probably a Higher Pay Grade thing, but iirc anything up to a day can be done without admin approval, so just don't like "count" sixers in the

BANS 12
PROBATIONS 56

sidebox that's next to the mod action buttons? leave the option of six hour "funny joke probes", but don't count them as anything

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

I would hope someone taking rap sheet into consideration for probe length would be looking at the actual details in said rap sheet rather than just going "three pages, god drat!" and smashing a week long probe or whatever. Context is obviously important.

This is whats important, the mods realize that there are people with 3+ page rap sheets, hell slowfuse literally got chain probed for a month on 6ers periodically and his actual account has a huge rap sheet. Tons of people have joke probes that are multi pages, but mods actually do check rap sheets to see what a poster actually has stuff for, and have the mod and admin only field that they can see for notes. People with long rapsheets do have relevant stuff in their that can justify a ramp probe eaisly enough besides OH HE HAS A 4 PAGE RAP SHEET START AT TWO MONTHS PER PROBE. The idea that a mod will just ram through without checking is just dumb

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

UCS Hellmaker posted:

This is whats important, the mods realize that there are people with 3+ page rap sheets, hell slowfuse literally got chain probed for a month on 6ers periodically and his actual account has a huge rap sheet. Tons of people have joke probes that are multi pages, but mods actually do check rap sheets to see what a poster actually has stuff for, and have the mod and admin only field that they can see for notes. People with long rapsheets do have relevant stuff in their that can justify a ramp probe eaisly enough besides OH HE HAS A 4 PAGE RAP SHEET START AT TWO MONTHS PER PROBE. The idea that a mod will just ram through without checking is just dumb

To be clear, the problem posters we're talking about often have rap sheets that literally have multiple ramps that mods have forgotten about.

Or, to use a totally random example, have, in just probes 1-50 of 144 (which only goes back to january of this year, and all but one are in dnd) have 8 probes of a week or more!

Everyone knows who the problems are. Mods are burnt out and don't want to do anything about it and were able to use "we're not banning anyone until lowtax is gone" as an excuse, but the solution is extremely simple now.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Mods need to give actual reasons for probes and bans. I've been asking for this for a long time and mods (from D&D) and admins have even promised they will change, but it still happens. When you see someone probed and it just says "don't do this" there's really no way to tell what "this" is a lot of the time.

Additionally I have seen a certain IK probe people and using the probation reason to "respond" to the post - nothing in the post is obviously worthy of a punishment and it just feels insane to see someone answer a post like that instead of just... answering the post.

Anyway, fixing these things up would make ramping a lot easier and more useful.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

beejay posted:

Mods need to give actual reasons for probes and bans. I've been asking for this for a long time and mods (from D&D) and admins have even promised they will change, but it still happens. When you see someone probed and it just says "don't do this" there's really no way to tell what "this" is a lot of the time.

Additionally I have seen a certain IK probe people and using the probation reason to "respond" to the post - nothing in the post is obviously worthy of a punishment and it just feels insane to see someone answer a post like that instead of just... answering the post.

This is definitely something that's generally a broad issue across the forum, but given how much activity there is in D&D, makes it more prominent there as a consequence.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Neurolimal posted:

The people with rap sheets in the multiple pages that are not full of joke sixxers it becomes very obvious with a even a quick read of reasons and check of context that it's not moderator capriciousness - it takes a long sustained level of poo poo awful posting to even get 30 or 40 probabtions over several forums and hence the displeasure of several moderators. When have reached 100+.... well sorry but at some point the moderator capriciousness excuse looks kinda weak, doesnt it? Let alone that posters who do have multipage rapsheets are more likely than not to have had long probations in there and more likely than not several bans as well.

I'm just the IK of the car forum with a specific remit (and a preference to dealing with kitty / joke car sixxers) I'll go read rap sheets and have a look at the worst entries before deciding if I'll ignore, warn, probate or refer to the moderator so I am not saying to automatically do the permas - I've fairly said hey, you cant just judge length (ie cant count joke sixxers) - but if they have a long rapsheet fllled with poo poo and also high on the ignore list then it's likely they are not a good poster and should be bounced.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, I mean, Christ, it’s not like the people we’re complaining about here are unknown to the mods here. No one is saying “if you come in here with your four page rap sheet from BYOB you should get a 30-day at minimum”

But there are a good half dozen, dozen posters who are just the shittiest, and they get probed all of the time, and those probes are always 6ers because “I didn’t want to escalate it to an admin” “I didn’t have time to check their rap sheet” “I didn’t care enough to think about escalation” “I think this lovely lovely poster might straighten up with gentle nudging, I don’t want to be strict though” all of which are lazy/bad moderation decisions.

It’s been made abundantly clear that some posters are just not going to be made less lovely by 6ers, and need escalated punishments until they either clean up their act or leave.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Yes, implement a formal ramping policy.

I guess I don't really care what the exact formal policy is. Just whatever you do, don't make exceptions and don't get lazy about describing the offense.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

fool of sound posted:

So, we want to hear from you:
---Should we implement a more formal ramping policy, in which the default is an automatic increase in length, or keep a freeform one and work to improve consistency?
---Where should thread and subforum bans fit into ramping policy, either the existing freeform one or a more structured one? How fast should be ramp to thread/subforum bans, and how long should they last before the poster can ask for clemency?
---As a general rule, how long between probations is appropriate for forgiveness? Clearly this is going to vary based on the severity of the offense, but we probably shouldn't be ramping people who get probations every six months, while we should for people who get them weekly.
---Anything else about ramping and how it should be used.

I don't think there should be a rigid ramping policy. The big thing I want to avoid with it is a situation where a poster's, say, refusing to drop a food derail and the ramping policy says their next probe is a month, so now you either probe somebody for a month because they're talking about sandwiches or let the derail go until they burn themselves out. Similarly, I don't think there should be a rigid rule for what point in the ramp a poster gets hit with a thread/subforum ban. Ramp resets should be tied to posting behavior, not time elapsed: someone who's been making consistently good posts since their last probation should get a ramp reset earlier than someone who just stops posting.

General feedback; be more aggressive about ramps and tie them not just to getting probed repeatedly, but getting probed repeatedly for doing the exact same thing. If someone gets 4 probes in 2 weeks and doesn't change their behavior, that should be enough for mods to stop giving sixers and start ramping.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't think anything really needs to be formalized. I think D&D is mostly okay now. I don't really know how it happened, but it feels it's been better in the last few months.

I think one of D&D's priorities should be a return of subject-matter experts. I don't really know how to accomplish this aside from a broader acknowledgement that there are people who are more informed who might still be wrong about interpretations, but maybe not facts, and/or it's okay for these people to share facts and opinions provided it exhibits internal logic. We lost some good posters on issues where they could enlighten a lot, as a result of their views not meshing with the cultural consensus.

I think it is a problem that instead of "the personal is political", we seem to have "the political is personal". That is, a person's quality can be judged from their political positions exclusively. This feels very "tree falls in the forest" to me. Ultimately a person's quality is far more dependent on how their live their lives than the political opinions they espouse, especially if their realized behavior doesn't do much in the way of promoting their professed political alignment. We have seen a lot of factionalism that I think derives from an obsession in establishing a moral hierarchy that is sort of silly in the context of this being where people are basically just chumming around.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Five posts from OP to "improve D&D by banning my posting enemies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyway don't have a formal ramping policy because it will be abused by a) QCS posting psychos who will continually point out that someone has been sixered three times in 24 days which surely means according to this algorithm I worked out they should be ramped to at least a 3 day, and b) petty thin-skinned mods who will use it as an excuse to drop excessive punishments on posters they don't like without having to explain themselves