Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mandatory ramping is a bad policy. Consistent ramping when you've decided that someone merits it is a good policy.

For many of the select crew of 100-plus-probes-in-dnd-alone posters, you can quite easily scroll through their list and see many different times "ramps" have been applied and then forgotten about, over and over again, while making absolutely zero difference in terms of curtailing the bad behavior.

alternatively:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I agree in general with you but I would go further on this - Just outright permaban them. They have nothing to offer other than being a poison in the community and they have proven they will not improve / learn. Posters with 100+ non joke probations and high in the ignore lists should just be shown the door.

just do this

not for every poster with a long list of joke probes, but for the people that've been consistent problems across literally years of different mod teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

UCS Hellmaker posted:

This is whats important, the mods realize that there are people with 3+ page rap sheets, hell slowfuse literally got chain probed for a month on 6ers periodically and his actual account has a huge rap sheet. Tons of people have joke probes that are multi pages, but mods actually do check rap sheets to see what a poster actually has stuff for, and have the mod and admin only field that they can see for notes. People with long rapsheets do have relevant stuff in their that can justify a ramp probe eaisly enough besides OH HE HAS A 4 PAGE RAP SHEET START AT TWO MONTHS PER PROBE. The idea that a mod will just ram through without checking is just dumb

To be clear, the problem posters we're talking about often have rap sheets that literally have multiple ramps that mods have forgotten about.

Or, to use a totally random example, have, in just probes 1-50 of 144 (which only goes back to january of this year, and all but one are in dnd) have 8 probes of a week or more!

Everyone knows who the problems are. Mods are burnt out and don't want to do anything about it and were able to use "we're not banning anyone until lowtax is gone" as an excuse, but the solution is extremely simple now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I love how this is treated as a good faith post worthy of legitimate discussion in uspol.

literally more than a dozen people are telling this person to gently caress off and it's already been reported, i'm not sure i see your point

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

beejay posted:

Someone got insta-probated for the possibility of starting a Biden "derail" in the US Politics thread but nothing can be done about pages of Post Your Favorite Concert.

People were having fun and not horribly depressed in USPOL today, I insist the mods do something about this problem.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Probably time to close this thread, as discussion has transitioned away from the thread subject to unrelated grievances.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Half of YMBs rap sheet is just nonsense probations based on nothing more than personal dislike from MPF, it's easy to cite a bunch of probations based on nonsense as a reason to ban someone if nobody can be bothered to actually pay attention to the context of the situation (a mod with a grudge).

Interesting theory but I used the magic of control+f to discover

Herstory: 4
Helsing: 4
GJB: 7
MP: 14
FOS: 33

Does Fool of Sound also hold a grudge that resulted in him issuing more than twice as many as MPF? And do you have any proof for these allegations or what, because your initial one doesn't seem to hold up?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Unoriginal Name posted:

If you were actually worried about this, you might bring it up in the thread not being policed by the D&D moderation team. I, personally, believe that actually discussing this will bring about further retribution from the mods for derailing this thread, which is ostensibly about ramping. As will any discussion of the performance of the moderation team for that matter.

hmm y'all accused one mod of having a special grudge and turns out he has issued less than half the probations that another mod has.

but after y'all went out of your way to call him out in this thread, you have decided actually we can't talk about it?

interesting strategy, let's see how it plays out

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

When you have to probe someone literally dozens and dozens of times for the same behavior, it's probably a bad sign if your response is like "I admire his tenacity in ignoring me!"

Sure he shits up every thread, but you gotta hand it to him, he's got verve.

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

For anyone who's read that thread, it makes total sense to restrict no content "The election doesn't matter because the Supreme Court will just do whatever it wants" posts, an Take that has been addressed over and over again and does, in fact, contribute to peoples' anxiety in a way that is completely unhelpful and divorced from reality.

If people want to post that kind of thing, they need to actually provide some kind of context and reasoning for it to have any value whatsoever beyond white noise -- this is an extension of general dnd rules that, you know, you should try to put some effort into your posts.

It is not anti-transparency to say "if you have an issue, please PM me" lol come on