Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

fool of sound posted:

So, we want to hear from you:
---Should we implement a more formal ramping policy, in which the default is an automatic increase in length, or keep a freeform one and work to improve consistency?
---Where should thread and subforum bans fit into ramping policy, either the existing freeform one or a more structured one? How fast should be ramp to thread/subforum bans, and how long should they last before the poster can ask for clemency?
---As a general rule, how long between probations is appropriate for forgiveness? Clearly this is going to vary based on the severity of the offense, but we probably shouldn't be ramping people who get probations every six months, while we should for people who get them weekly.
---Anything else about ramping and how it should be used.

I don't think there should be a rigid ramping policy. The big thing I want to avoid with it is a situation where a poster's, say, refusing to drop a food derail and the ramping policy says their next probe is a month, so now you either probe somebody for a month because they're talking about sandwiches or let the derail go until they burn themselves out. Similarly, I don't think there should be a rigid rule for what point in the ramp a poster gets hit with a thread/subforum ban. Ramp resets should be tied to posting behavior, not time elapsed: someone who's been making consistently good posts since their last probation should get a ramp reset earlier than someone who just stops posting.

General feedback; be more aggressive about ramps and tie them not just to getting probed repeatedly, but getting probed repeatedly for doing the exact same thing. If someone gets 4 probes in 2 weeks and doesn't change their behavior, that should be enough for mods to stop giving sixers and start ramping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU