Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

moths posted:

So in other words, yes. Now how does this:

not meet yout own criteria of being a disruptive poo poo post? You accuse me of being in a bubble, make allusions about my motives, and tell me to git gud - all from behind the shield of a probe if I take your bait?

If you carefully examine the other words in his post, you might see that the part you quoted was in fact an example of bad behavior he does not support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

moths posted:

not meet yout own criteria of being a disruptive poo poo post? You accuse me of being in a bubble, make allusions about my motives, and tell me to git gud - all from behind the shield of a probe if I take your bait?

I mean, that was specifically his point - when directed at you, you insist it’s disruptive, you get angry, and you seem to expect him to not be allowed to do so, but when directed at your posting enemies like YMB’s posts were, it’s just “tone” that you dismiss as not being worth mod attention.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

moths posted:

You should read the first paragraph of that post again. Edit, beaten badly.

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

Athanatos posted:

I think it's gone pretty well. I'm going to close it and call it a thread pretty soon. If anyone has any last thoughts about D&D or questions for me, let me know.

Thanks for doing the thread, and I'd really like to see more threads like this in the future. Even if it did sometimes wade into drama, I still think there's a lot of value in having a place in D&D where we can actually discuss meta issues like this, rather than being told to take it to QCS or just sniping at one another in actual threads. I've always felt like one of the main issues with D&D (over the last many years) is that feedback was never really solicited and there was never a space to actually hash out these things, and I think it went okay.

As a lurker, it was nice to see people's rationale behind their Posting Philosophies. I might not agree with them, but at least it got out there, and I feel like I'm in a slightly better place for having understood them, if that makes sense.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

moths posted:

Did you not read his reply? He posted this way on purpose to show you just how big of an rear end in a top hat YMB came off as in many of his posts. This was done intentionally.

E: Beaten, of course, but my point stands.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Athanatos posted:

Yeah, if you have an issue with probations or bans, please drop me a PM, or another admin if you feel comfortable with them.

This thread is not a public trial for users.

I think the moderation has been garbage, especially for my "pet issue" of "stop posting death threats you morons", but I appreciate that you're trying to work out stuff.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Athanatos:
I want to say that the ways this conversation has turned out is because these have been ongoing problems for a while that were never really dealt with but people really don't have a lot of outlet to express it. There's a lot people want to say, but can't. Maybe for the best because it turns into these sorts of arguments.

The ramp thread is a nice way to start. There's a lot of toxicity in D&D that has been allowed to fester.

And, to be honest, in some ways trying to corral it to other threads has made it worse. While some of it was intended to wipe out the circular arguments that went nowhere, it wasn't tamped down enough and it turned into a place where people thought it was acceptable to treat it as a thunderdome. In some ways, it's inevitable that style would bleed over into other threads. Or, it 'radicalized' posters into treating other posters a certain way.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

E: nm just saw the thread isn't for this

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

. This was done intentionally.

Oh right on. I thought he hosed up his quote link.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

rolleyes posted:

Every poster over the last page who hates the YMB ban has repeatedly done the thing that got uninterrupted threadbanned and YMB forum banned, without exception.

I hate it.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I sincerely do not believe that banning a specific group of posters is the aid to what plagues D&D. As a moderation strategy, it sets the precedent that the way you fix this forum is by finding some pariahs and kicking them out. This is a death spiral masquerading as course correction.

I really really like this forum, and it was a big part of me evolving my political views from "kid who grew up in a rural nothing town" to what they are today. I don't think that would have happened if all passionate discussion that challenged my preconceived notions and initially offended me was banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Going to lead off this ending post with my current "plans:"

Athanatos posted:

1. Add more Mods and IKs. I dont have a number for you...but...a lot? This adds more people who can speak up for others and look into poo poo. This can possibly solve the "I cant talk to XXX Mod." You can go talk to YYY or ZZZ instead.

2. Let/encourage(?) Mods to be stricter with repeated asshats. Someone with a chain of 6ers probably has a bad time getting the clue. Now this comes with a HUGE context matters. Not every 6er is the same and not every long rap sheet is the same. This is where part 1 comes back. With a ton of Mods and IKs to ask and run stuff by, the problem people can be better located and discussed if it's someone who ACTUALLY needs hit/is a problem.

2.5. Reiterate with a lot of repeat words that: The first tool of a mod is to have a discussion. It's not just running in and probing right away and seeing where the chips fall. It's warning if needed, and be willing to have a back and forth too.

3. Tighten up the rules BUT let the Mod team feel free to do what they collectively decide is best for conversation flow. This will matter for those people who skirt the rules in a way that don't break anything, but do nothing but disrupt conversation.

Now, a lot of that is "Let the Mods find what is best" and my HOPE is, that with a huge Mod/IK team that will work. You wont have 1 person running wild because there are 10 other people behind them going "hold on, did you think about it this way"

This is why I've pushed so hard for you folks reading to give me names. People the community picked to watch the community. I think that's the most important part of adding mods.

I don't know. Maybe all that is terrible and wont work. I don't have all the answers, I don't have a playbook to follow. I'm sure I'll gently caress it up just like lots of others, but I'm willing to listen, eat my crow if I need to, and evaluate what I can do to help going forward.

I hope there will be changes toward the good that help. Will it work? gently caress if I know. All I can do is try. If I try and gently caress it up, I'll come back again with a thread just like this and try again.

I really think there are fantastic people in D&D who come here because they like reading threads. I do not believe the entire place is a dumpster fire. Will everyone like everything? No. I can't make that happen. Some people will always want things to be different or hate the way something works. I'm sorry for that.

I'm going to do the best I can, I'm going to keep reading stuff. I'm going to make sure the mods and IKs read stuff.

I enjoyed this thread (Oh God I still have so many PMs to respond to, I'm sorry). If people think it's needed again in the future, don't be afraid to reach out.

Mentioning PMs: please drop me a message if you need something. I read every single one I get. If it's quick I reply right away.

Thanks to everyone who gave opinions. Who spoke up, who linked cool stuff, who lurked the thread. Everyone.