Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Hold mod elections and hold them to the rules in their decisions.

A mod who can punish at will regardless of any rules regarding discussion will not create an environment other than the one that mod wants. If you want a community based discussion, involve the community in choosing their mods and, ideally, creating the rules.

I would also like to point out that anyone currently probated has no voice in this discussion. And the current mod decisions are obviously problematic or we would not be having this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Jaxyon posted:

We're talking about meeting zero-effort agro shitposts with increasingly harsh punishment but why don't we practice what we preach and put together a restorative justice model?

If you shitpost like that, you are warned, and if you continue, you have to put together a MLA formatted research paper either for or against your position(moderator/IK call on which side you take).

historically, Thunderdome has been used when someone is just aggro about a position and refuses to actually defend it. put them in a cage match to see how devoted they really are

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Discendo Vox posted:

It becomes less work over time as the shitheads actually start getting perma'd or forumbanned. The "indirect" benefit of removing bad posters creates a space where good posting can actually happen. Norms shift, assholes leave and don't come back, and very slowly nature is healing new people enter the space and flourish under the new standards.

"The bannings will continue until morale improves"

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Its a forums ban from someone that earned it for toxic shitposting for years, that goes into threads to be an rear end in a top hat and try and own his forum enemies. Literally its one of the worst posters we have that does not add anything to a discussion, and instead goes into a thread and posts one liners to cause derails and attack others. It would be better to find another hill to fight on because there are numerous examples from the last week that could have earned the same punishment from said poster

For what?

I personally think YMB is dismissive, smug, and consistently confrontational. They also post plenty of facts and historical examples and have absolutely no place being removed simply because they make people upset about being challenged.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

A solid defense with brilliantly employed rhetoric. Arguments like these are what make D&D the forum it is today.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

ronya posted:

There's no amount of :iceburn: that is going to advance any debate in a conflict between an essentially liberal outlook and an essentially radical one. Very definitely not snarky one-liners, nor derisive BOO! GET OFF THE STAGE! shitposting-as-praxis.

But my hot take is that trying to maintain debate space for such engagement is pointless: even good-faith engagement actively makes threads worse, by substituting a subtopic that could be interesting for some, for a retread topic that is a grinding tedium for all involved. So there's no point generating more work for mods by requiring that they mediate a shared arena with contentious, amorphous rules of engagement (that are regularly bitterly and publicly disputed by a loud tribe of posters, no less). It is actually fine to spin off hugboxes where participants are expected to accept, as Crumbskull says, some modicum of shared values. Just keep adding more such spaces until the screaming stops.

Again - there's always C-SPAM for no-holds-barred jeering and zero-good-faith yelling matches

Maintaining the debate space is exactly what the mods are actually supposed to be doing?

Like if D&D is a space where you arent allowed to criticize the past of Joe Biden and all leftist are banished to to wading through pages of TORP on CSPAM, then the mods could feel free to codify that into the posted rules and save themselves the trouble of trying to communicate that message through eldritch probation reasons like its Plato's loving cave.

"contentious, amorphous rules of engagement" cant really be the problem when they write the loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Athanatos posted:

This thread was entirely on me. I got so many "Hey can you review this probe I got?" or I'd see something queued that I had no idea why and have to ask. I made this to get a better feel of D&D and what goes on here. What issues it has and how I can help.

I think it's gone pretty well. I'm going to close it and call it a thread pretty soon. If anyone has any last thoughts about D&D or questions for me, let me know.

Will there be any substantial changes from the feedback received