Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
An out-there idea that people might hate, but one of the better mod solutions for GBS 2.0 was bringing in posters who weren't GBS posters per se like g0m and letting them have free reign, and I can't help but wonder if that might help D&D, if it wasn't governed by regulars but more outsiders from other forums who can react to things in their own individual ways as opposed to the "expected" way of D&D. Everyone talks about how they hate D&D, including the regulars, so maybe the regular way of doing things isn't going to work. It's a bit weirder because g0m made GBS a more fun carefree adventurous place instead of the shitpost hellpit it'd been before while D&D takes itself pretty seriously, defines itself from CSPAM as a place to take seriously, and therefore a lighter tone might not work (and joke probations in D&D generally suck from what I've seen), but on the other hand, it could create a new culture for the subforum which it seems pretty desperate for. I'm not entirely sure what that culture would look like, but maybe an exclusively Goons with Spoons poster would? These are strictly brainstorming ideas, I don't have high hopes that would solve anything and think most of D&D's problems are cultural problems at large that aren't being solved in real-life, much less on a internet forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Doomposting is pretty easy to spot. In the polls thread, for example (which is the thread I read the most) every so often someone comes in and posts an elaborate fan fiction of Trump stealing the election and argues with anyone who tries to convince them that no, that can't happen. Its basically playing out anxiety over 2016, which is understandable, but that person would probably benefit from a 6'er as a chance to take a step back.

Thing though is invoking 2016 actually justifies why "doomposting," whatever that means, should be allowed, as the supposed "arzying" turned out to be... absolutely correct. And how many times was that probated in Election Erection or D&D in the lead-up? But in any case, patrolling pessimistic posting seems like enforcing an ideology in any case which absolutely should not be what D&D is for and creates an echo chamber that no one, centrist leftist conservative or what have you, wants. I really think the line only needs to be drawn with clear suicidal ideation.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Except the part where there are enough legitimate factual variables that make comparisons to 2016 spurious at best, and as an emphatic statement of what WILL happen? Nah.

Nobody knows what will happen though. I think the idea of elections ceasing to happen if Trump wins again is ridiculous and its own form of doomposting, but it should be allowed. Topic curtailing should be about preventing abuse of users (and I'm sorry for your PM experience, that's unfortunate) not "deciding what is in the real of the possible." That's far too heavy a mod hand in discussion. And I think the "doomposting" rule needs to be heavily reviewed as its application, as can be seen, is so relative and therefore not particularly effective.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Here are some other ideas of things that I think would be good for community building:

1. Fun mod challenges with prizes (i.e. compose an epic poem to Joe Biden).
2. Trying to organize more contests/interactive events around big events we'll be liveposting during, i.e. debates - maybe like a debate bingo challenge with avatar or gang tag prizes.
3. Book groups and movie watching threads - why not have a thread where we watch a political-related movie or documentary every week and discuss it?

I second these ideas as cool and fun, especially the book/movie club one. If D&D transitioned to a place where it's more fun to nerd out than rage out, I think that would be a useful pivot for the forum.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Kawalimus Owns, though.