Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

As a SMALL BUSINESS OWNER who is in the possession of a BUSINESS THAT IS NOT A LARGE ONE I fought very hard to make this SMALL BUSINESS work and it takes a lot of risk and gumption to run a SMALL BUSINESS which is the backbone of this great nation, so I'd just like to say... no darkies. Thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i have not realized that inflation is a thing and i am super pissed all this decade old equipment can't be resold like new and am enraged at the cost of materials these days, it's all a personal attack on me and MY BUSINESS STRUGGLES

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Buy local!

Hold on, gotta conference-call the owner because he lives in San Francisco.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

My title is "Chief Visionary Officer"

The Bird
Dec 7, 2006

I expect each and every one of you to do 60 hours of work in a 40 hour timeframe. There is no overtime. You are lucky to be working here. Don't forget it

The Bird
Dec 7, 2006

Hey, I really appreciate your loyalty and work ethic. You are like a son to me.

By the way my actual son, who has never worked here and shown no interest, will be taking over the business, effective immediately.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i am going to take up an expensive hobby i loving suck at, such as getting a pilot's license or perhaps formula 1 lessons somehow

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im really annoyed that the guy in the unit next to me has running water

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i would just sleep at work except for the rats

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Expenses: $17,000
My salary: $90,000
Step son "Vice president" salary: $85,000
Wife "Consultant" salary: $30,000
Employee salary: whatever minimum wage times five is
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my small business is dying

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

we get 'fresh' coffee delivered every wednesday, just go use that weird dirty giant coffee machine that youve never seen anywhere else in your life

its on the house

(my brother works for the company)

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I tolerate and advocate for economic inequality even though me and my business is near the bottom of the food chain and barely turns a profit. So long as I appease my betters, they allow me to have my own petty fiefdom to terrorise those below me.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

a neurotic ai posted:

I tolerate and advocate for economic inequality even though me and my business is near the bottom of the food chain and barely turns a profit. So long as I appease my betters, they allow me to have my own petty fiefdom to terrorise those below me.

I may be a small business now but someday I might actually be successful, and then small business like me had better watch out!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
We're going national. Sky's the limit.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oh crap we're defaulting on all the loans

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Dont you have to show a bank a business plan that doesnt involve being a complete moron to get a loan? Or do I just need to not trip on my shoe laces as I walk in and ask for one...

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
when bad stuff happens it's we've hosed it up

when good stuff happens i did it

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

No you guys have to wear a mask, I don’t because it’s my business and this isn’t COMMUNIST RUSSIA

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

no i will not pay extra for loving recycling

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Bird posted:

Hello Sole Applicant!

We are very excited to have you start working at our small design firm. We have been in business for 20 years and have deep ties in the community with all of the large, local consultants that you will want to be working with. I thought, before you begin your duties working for our Emerging Small, Minority, Woman-Owned Business, that I would take this time to outline exactly what your duties will be over the next couple of years.

Starting your career is a daunting process. There is so much you don’t know! And I realize that you are expecting a true mentor. Someone who can guide you to fill in the gaps of your education. Unfortunately (for you), the reality of the small, local design market you are entering means that I am the only shop in town. And while I will recognize your need to learn and grow, I don’t feel that I have to actively help you in that process. Just google it while I browse Amazon! Hey, if you can’t figure it out, I will just treat you with so much derision that you will avoid ever asking me a question again.

Look, I am going to start you off at a wage that is 75% under the expected amount for your degree. I will increase that amount if you prove to have the ability to handle working for me. As mentioned, there is nowhere else for you to work and since your spouse is stuck in an unpaid internship, you can’t move. I might forget about that wage increase for six months. I might also purposefully omit overtime. But, what are you going to do? I am literally the only option you have for professional growth!

But it’s not all bad! After 2 years I will trick another, more experienced professional into joining my firm under the auspices of partnership (lol). He will be the one to really teach you. You just have to hold out for those years going to meetings with engineers and contractors, unable to answer their gotcha-questions that originate from the frustration of my absence. Can you handle that meeting with the City tomorrow? I can’t make it. The City Engineer is just going to ask you questions that relate directly to my liability. You got this!

Also, every once in a while I will not have work for you, but I also will not lay you off so you can collect unemployment. I don’t like paying for that. By the way, I forgot to market (oopsie). Can I just string you along with the minimum amount of office hours for you to stick around? It will be at a reduced rate. Where else would you go anyway. You need experience under me to gain your licensure. A second job? You are on call! Moonlighting? Don't let me find out!

I will also cycle around 12 other professionals through this office while you are here. Pulling them away from other firms and lower skilled, unrelated jobs just to fire them within weeks, if not months. Did I mention how replaceable you are?

Those past employees? Oh, I will report them for claiming hours I don’t feel they deserve. Better stay on my good side! Don't want this all to be at for nothing, do you? Hey, can you call the licensing board too? Doesn’t it make you mad that YOU are getting the required experience for your license, but they are lying about theirs? Nevermind that my license didn’t require me to get hours and I never actually worked under anyone else.

Look, you will try everything to get away. You can go back to school, but let’s face it, YOU have a kid. You can’t afford to get another degree. You can look for work somewhere else and the experience you get here isn’t going to make you competitive in larger markets! I also won’t be introducing you to any other consultants who can give you a reference.

Did I mention the benefits? There are none! I am a small business. I can’t cripple myself with those things. How am I going to get a new car every two years? How am I going to afford that quarter million dollar addition to my house? Doesn't your side get insurance through their school? Can you get on that?

Every so often, when it gets bad enough, I will give you the absolute minimum pay increase to keep you on. I know you can leave, I am just hoping my combination of abuse and miniscule reward will be enough to keep you around and not value yourself enough to step out. Remember that family? Those responsibilities?

After a couple of years, you and your mentor might be in a position to go out on your own, but I have a deal for you! I am going to retire in about a year (for the next two years) and I want to pass my business on to you. All my contacts. All my work that you have been doing while I take credit for it. It can be yours. Don't you want to be the big fish in this small pond?

I just will need to stay on as the creative director (and control everything), own the majority stock of the company (I did build it), have a minimum salary/hours for guaranteed income (I know you worked hourly), and health insurance until I turn 65. Quite the deal, right?

I am a Small Business.

Sir this is a franchised Sub-Way

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

> literally cannot do things as efficiently as big businesses
> no economy of scale so everything is more expensive
> no HR so you can't stand up for yourself when harassed
> no benefits because everyone's either poor as gently caress or grifted by a racist neocon boss
> glorifies the inefficiencies of the cottage industry
> preys on compassionate people that want to help with their pocket book

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Did you just say...

Nooner posted:

TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
*tax fraud*

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
*stays a small business because business is garbage*

*pretends that subsistence directionless small businesses are good*

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
*calls self CEO on job resume to be a walmart cashier after declaring bankruptcy*

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
*refuses to hire women because they'll just get pregnant*

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
*forced to fire 25% of employees because government raises minimum wage by 1 dollar*

The Bird
Dec 7, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Sir this is a franchised Sub-Way

>Pays Initial Fee and Royalties
>Gets support of Multinational Corporation
>Receive Building Plan Layouts from Corporate Architect
>Get Equipment Procurement from Corporate Suppliers
>Get entire Menu, Foodstuffs, and Identity from Corporate
>Get entire Business Plan, HR Contracts, and Business Contracts from Corporate
>Benefits from Multinational Corporation Supply Chain

"Small Business Owner".

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I think about firing Chris alot but he's a decent guy, plus he gets me decent cocaine when i ask him

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
*sacks half of 499 employees in order to boost quarterly numbers*

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I've finally made it!

*stands proudly at the precipice of a grease-pit, black mold visible in the grout*

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Whoever kisses my rear end the most can get a dollar raise

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

itp i am a small franchisee of a much larger business

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I am writing this apology today with a heavy heart. As the owner and CEO of the Apple Butter Emporium, I realize that I am a pillar of this community. In recent days, comments that I made on my PRIVATE facebook page were leaked out, presumably by members of Antifa or BLM. Although I stand by those comments, I understand how some may be offended by them and apologize if you were offended.

As such, I am stepping back from my role at Apple Butter Emporium. I will no longer be overseeing the day-to-day operations. Please continue to support our small business and my employees, who do not deserve your hatred. Perhaps one day we can all learn to get along, unfortunately, today has shown me that too many people have hate-filled hearts and only want to see a man's successes torn away from him.

In addition, please remember that we are all Americans and we need to support the President. Although I was not a fan of the last President, I did not "hate" him as so many of you do today.

*cuts all employee hours down to 15 hours a week in the same month he buys a new house*
*starts selling "OBAMA = OBUNGLER" t-shirts in the Emporium*

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
*just perpetually spewing bullshit into my phone instead if doing anything*

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

*sinks my speed boat during a trump boat rally*

unfortunately, due to unexpected headwinds in our business sector, we will be unable to offer overtime or bonuses for the rest of the year

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

Although I stand by those comments, I understand how some may be offended by them and apologize if you were offended.

:discourse:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i own a small business

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugly In The Morning posted:

But you’re such a good* cook when you’re cooking a meal to serve 2-4 people, how could a restaurant you own possibly fail? Have you tried taking a vacation and closing the restaurant right when things are turning around?

*above-average but nothing special

Hmm, a vacation would be nice, our numbers are up and the festivities are about to begin...

And I'm running out of kegs....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
“No sick or personal days, people will take advantage of them! We’ll have perfect attendance days, where if you go three months without being a minute late, you get one paid day off!”

“Someone came in with norovirus even though they knew they were sick, and now 180 of my 200 employees have missed at least two days of work? There was no way to prevent this!”

That same owner threatened to fire everyone if he heard the word “Union” again, and did fire me for talking about pay. Both of which were super illegal. They were dumb enough to put the reason I was fired in writing, though.