Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
In 1996 I was hired to work at some small computer shop that sold off-brand beige boxes and did repairs and upgrades. The shop was owed by two guys who were brothers-in-law. Their wives (who were sisters) had a baby brother who was useless. He was the kid that peaked in grade 10 and never had a real job and had two kids by two different women by the time he was 19. The Sisters decided that Baby Brother needed a job so they forced the Brothers-In-Law to take him in. Except Baby Brother has zero knowledge of computers and wasn't about to learn.

It seems Baby Brother was studying to be an electrician. So the Sisters said, "Well why not make it a computer store and electrician service?" I mean, it sorta of makes sense if we need a cable run but....yeah. However Baby Brother was far from being licensed so we had to hire a licensed electrician so we could actually perform the services were were advertising. So now the company, which is brand new by the way and barely making ends meet, is paying Baby Brother a journeyman salary, plus a licensed electrician, PLUS the new panel van for Baby Brother to drive. Meanwhile I'm getting my hours cut and working off the clock installing Windows 95 via floppy disks just so I can get experience.

The electrician side of the business was actually doing well since we underbid on projects. Six months after we opened our doors and are barely turning a profit, the owners decide we need to triple our office/showroom space and hire a web developer and network guy. One the owners was previously in construction so they did all the drywall, flooring, painting, etc. themselves. Then they decide that me and the office manager are now full time construction employees despite us saying we were in no way hired to do any of that.

A month later The Sisters decide they all need a family vacation to Disney. So the Brothers-in-Law take the Sisters and kids to Orlando for a week in the middle of the construction project. On Thursday the office manager is running out of her office and crying. "We don't have enough to cover payroll this week!". She gets one of the Brothers on the phone who tells her to take a cash advance on the company AmEx card and use that to cover payroll.

A month after that the sales guy, office manager and I were let go. "We need to free up some capitol to help keep the electrician side going as its the only part turning a profit. Baby Brother should have his license soon and then we'll be back in business!"

They defaulted on their rent and closed a few months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

*dissolves business after being blacklisted from all credit card processors for too many chargebacks*

*reopens business a month later with slightly different name*

*repeats*

*dissolves business after negative yelp/google/TripAdvisor/newspaper articles about poor food quality and failed inspections*

*reopens restaurant a month later with slightly different name*

*repeats*

I watched a Chinese Buffet do this for 7 years. Every 18 months a new name but the same $5.99 AYCE Lobster Dinner on Christmas Day.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

What you do you mean you need a sick day? You work from home! Fine but this is coming out of your vacation time. So now you'll only get 2 days after 4 years of employment instead of 2.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Good news. You all get to come to the hardware convention with me. But you have to pay for your own gas and the three of you have to share a hotel room since I had to get the suite.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

GolfHole posted:

*fire alarm goes off*

stay in your chair, it's probably just a test

tihs would also work in the Large business owners thread

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Here's a package that explains our benefits which you are eligible for in 3 months.

You know, looking at your performance for the last 3 months, it's just not working out. You're fired.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I know I hired you to work nights because you have no child care but me and the Mrs are taking a cruise next month so you need to be here on days as well. We leave tomorrow so I need your answer now.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I don't give a poo poo what the doctors say, you WILL be fired if you get that vaccine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

*attends large megachurch to network my roofing business, buys a 4x4 square advertisement space in the weekly bulletin*