Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

For my tastes, the idea of people living in "Tiny Houses" is loving stupid. It seemed to pop up during or shortly after the GFC in 2008. Among young millennials such as myself, there was still a certain glimmer to the world and we wanted to have real experiences. The idea of being tied down, or simply traveling to occupy an all-inclusive resort without experiencing "The Real" [Insert Impoverished Country] was repellent.

There was also a growing notion that owning a house in a suburb a few miles outside a major city was 1. financially irresponsible and 2. likely impossible within our lifetime.

Enter Tiny Houses! At first the idea seems brilliant if not a bit twee. You can have all the trappings of a real house just smaller. Even better, you can hook one of these little houses up to your truck and take it wherever you want! Seems great doesn't it!

Well its not for a number of reasons.

First of all, these are all just mobile homes that have been repackaged to appeal to sweater vest wearing white millennials with useless degrees from Mt. Holyoke or Evergreen or wherever.

Both of these do the same thing, but the one on the right has the bonus of decimating your fuel economy

Secondly, this isn't a new trend at all. People have been taking to the open road for a very, very long time. A lot of places have really strict rules about camping, which is what you will be doing. Much of the wide open bucolic property in the US is privately held, or part of a parks system. This means you're going to end up on a campground, or in a parking lot.

What people expect

Their new home

Oh yeah, and you won't be alone! If you decide you want to live this transient lifestyle because its fun and quirky, you are greatly increasing your chances of running into: *GASP* ACTUAL POOR PEOPLE
This can be a bit of a shocker for some, but a lot of people living in parking lots and on campsites aren't necessarily there by choice. A lot of them won't have ever heard of Neutral Milk Hotel, or even the Bauhaus movement.The irony of your #vanlife is going to be lost on these people. You're basically engaging in poverty tourism without realizing that you're also poor as poo poo.

Your new neighbors

The amount of media surrounding this so called "movement" is astounding. To me it seems like its just a concerted effort to sell people on the idea that property ownership will never happen in their lifetime. The American Dream died long ago and there are no new frontiers. The idea gets painted as somewhat glamorous until you realize your partner is taking a poo poo 7 inches away from where you do dishes, and sleeping with the ceiling 6 inches from your face loving sucks (forget about doggy style). Its just repackaging poverty to make it more palatable for the people who bought into the idea that their Bachelor's degree would secure them a future.

To be clear, RV camping is a great time. In fact, spending a few months in an RV and roaming around can be a really great experience. I just think the idea of "tiny houses" is questionable, and the real financial benefits are pretty much non-existent unless you already own a large parcel of land, which sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

In conclusion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cherube Goldberg
Nov 15, 2014
What do you need more than one room for??

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

The_Continental posted:

This can be a bit of a shocker for some, but a lot of people living in parking lots and on campsites aren't necessarily there by choice. A lot of them won't have ever heard of Neutral Milk Hotel, or even the Bauhaus movement.The irony of your #vanlife is going to be lost on these people. You're basically engaging in poverty tourism without realizing that you're also poor as poo poo.
Uh-oh

I haven't heard of Neutral Milk Hotel.

What a way to find out that I'm poor!

I'd turn away from the screen and cry, but I'm jammed in between my shower on one side and my waterproof 13" television on the other!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Agreed op, those things suck poo poo. I like my 960sq ft house, it's a perfect amount of space for me. And I can even afford it on a single income!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like living in an apartment also knowing that my home won't blow over if it gets too breezy

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
My coworker quit our job so he could become basically a Slumlord for a Hipster trailer park right before the pandemic hit and I’m pretty sure he’s the only resident there now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Small house, big life.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

It’s better if houses have no movement

I’m bob vila and I know this kind of poo poo

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Premeditated Toast posted:

My coworker quit our job so he could become basically a Slumlord for a Hipster trailer park right before the pandemic hit and I’m pretty sure he’s the only resident there now.

Trailer park supervisor is a coveted and prestigious position

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
A lot of terrible mediocre US cities Ive lived in are making concerted efforts to finally obliterate the remaining trailer parks, so good luck finding somewhere to haul your terrible financial burden on wheels I guess?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think some tiny homes, where you buy small lots in developed areas or are rich and buy beautiful land and then live in your million dollar ascetic cubby seem fine.

The rest seem to be trying to convince people who can't afford homes to still buy a home but its an even worse financial decision now

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My favorite part is when they think they’re going to save so much money, but it turns out it’s actually super expensive to live in misery.

I wish those stupid tv shows did a ‘6 months later’ catch-up to enjoy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Your soul is as tiny as those houses. You will suffer for this.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yes

Suburban box homes are good, they're an appropriate size, comfortable, pleasing to the eye, create a calm neighborhood and are easily reproducable en masse to save energy and material usage.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I want to buy a sliver of land in a rich area and put one of these on it. Everyone, even probably me, would be so pissed all the time over it.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I know a woman who did the tiny house thing for a bit. I'm pretty sure she was just squatting on her friend's property for the entire time she owned it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tiny homes have terrible resale value, and usually costs a lot more per foot to build because you need custom furniture, and appliances. It also turns out construction workers actually don't give a gently caress about your lifehack, and don't want to do a job that makes only the fraction amount of money of a normal house.

You'll also have a hard time getting a mortgage or insurance for a house.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I've considered a tiny home but I have the means to at least purchase land on which to park it. Less home cost means more money for a garage for race cars and other toys :rice:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Regular homeownership is not some impossible hurdle either. I've seen people get approved for mortgages working part time jobs.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Regular homeownership is not some impossible hurdle either. I've seen people get approved for mortgages working part time jobs.

Yeah dude this is called "predation"

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Back when my father was alive he built houses for a living and got into the train of building tiny houses near the end of his retirement. Honestly he thought it was a great idea for people who really want to live simple lives and that money was flowing in that direction very well.

Can't really say for sure in these times though! If someone gets sick everyone gets sick.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Nooner posted:

I like living in an apartment also knowing that my home won't blow over if it gets too breezy

Where is the excitement in that?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

CongoJack posted:

I want to buy a sliver of land in a rich area and put one of these on it. Everyone, even probably me, would be so pissed all the time over it.

Except you cant do this. Zoning laws often take in "character" considerations and there are often HOAs that will block you. Additionally minimum lot sizes preclude you from buying a "sliver".

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Tiny houses are cute up until you've got atomic burrito shits and everyone in the house gets to languish in your turd smells all fuckin' night.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The home will be even tinier when I am done with it. I have taken my rear end and consumed the tiny home, it will slowly be crushed by my anal muscles.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
For just a moment I thought you were talking about the Tiny House Warriors. So brave.
http://www.tinyhousewarriors.com/

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
ops mom probably got rammed by a tiny house while he was at school. op are you still on free lunch?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Slumpy posted:

ops mom probably got rammed by a tiny house while he was at school. op are you still on free lunch?

I'm a tiny house and OP hosed me.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
loving got 'em

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
in the near future

republicans posted:

70% of these supposedly "homeless" people have cars they can live in

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s like half the cost of building a normal house for 1/10th of the square footage! :smugbert:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have a camper and it owns. Its nice to have but living in it is not a good long term thing for me anyway. Anyone who can manage it and enjoy it good on them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

vandalism posted:

I have a camper and it owns. Its nice to have but living in it is not a good long term thing for me anyway. Anyone who can manage it and enjoy it good on them.

Yeah the poo poo you see on the TV shows look like cute 2nd home things, like split them like a non lovely timeshare with friends or something (if it wasn’t for the stupidly high price of having them on land).

But it’s always ‘I have 2 teenagers, one boy and one girl, and a dog and 2 cats and I’ve decided we can live forever in 300sqf despite never even trying this for a week before’.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Did u know??? An apartment is a stack of tiny houses. But more space efficient and not stupid.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I like tiny horse movements

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

bradzilla posted:

Agreed op, those things suck poo poo. I like my 960sq ft house, it's a perfect amount of space for me. And I can even afford it on a single income!

I too own a little bungalow. I like it very much.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 13, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
tiny houses suck poo poo

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I've seen tiny houses work outside Austin at a shelter for the chronically homeless, but that place was super unique and also had a blend of rvs and tiny homes just outside Travis County to avoid municipal backlash. Cant just plop those down anywhere and claim crisis over, you gotta have a hell of a staff and financial backing out the rear end to make it work.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Your trailer is now a "tiny house" and "SRO apartment" is a "micro-loft"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Cherube Goldberg posted:

What do you need more than one room for??

God, do you think we want the UberEats delivery person to see a room that looks like people use it for anything but displaying fresh flowers, art and the latest issue of AD?