Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
In the argument of finances vs. children; I think there is some real common sense to be considered. If you and a partner get together at 22 yo, but you both get even crappy jobs, waiting to have children til 28 yo makes total sense. The amount of equity and investment a couple can put together for 6 years or so is huge; and sets them and their family well ahead of the financial game going forward. You've had time to save money, maybe save for a down payment or buy acreage. Biologically you should be okay to have kids in your late 20s, and now you also have started on the building of financial stability for the rest of your lifetime. I get that babies happen, but if you can save and plan your family in a timely manner, there is nothing unhealthy about that, and gives you and them a leg up going forward. It just seems sensible and super practical in today's world.

:synpa:

E: bad snype, darn

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Admiral Goodenough posted:

A couple of years ago there was an attempt to fix the lack of cheap student housing here by constructing an apartment block made of converted container apartments. It was hyped as the future of smart inner city living, but they turned out to be really badly constructed and most of the apartments got mold issues and water damage within like 6 months of people moving in.

My little sister went to a pre-party in one and apparently the layout is so that the front door leads into the kitchen, then the bathroom and then the living room. There is no way to go around the bathroom, each room takes up the whole width of the apartment. So whenever someone used the bathroom, the people in the living room were trapped lol.

This is so dumb. I don't actually have as much of a problem with using shipping containers for single family homes, especially if you're just building a tiny home, but using them to build an apartment building makes no sense. Apartment buildings need fairly complex HVAC systems to fit in them, so you're going to have to cut a million holes in the shell of those things in order to get ducts around the building, and by the time you do that they basically won't have an structural integrity to them. Guaranteed that there's a normal structural system holding this place up, and it's concrete on metal deck, and they just chopped up the container to use as a skin on the building to get that look. Which is fine if that's what you want, but there's no way it is what it's pretending to be.

An actually cool use case for containers that I'm working on is mobile hospital rooms. At the beginning of the pandemic, this company that we work with started trying to come up with the best way to implement a double hospital room inside a container that can be shipped all around the world. It hasn't really moved anywhere since the hospitals basically decided to just do without negative pressure rooms (which is a whole other conversation), but it's certainly a cool idea for future use. They actually already use containers for modular data centers that can be set up really rapidly, so they've got plenty of experience with the things.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

this is common in south korean hostels, i had to shower in turd vapors once

Impermeable surfaces and a toiletshower is still better than a roadside motel with carpet that smells of smoke, cum and hatred.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
When I was a dumb little idiot child, we built buildings out of building stuff

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And if you told me that maybe we would make hospitals out of old tin cans that are used to ship Chinese dildos, I would've thought that was something that was occurring in a different country than America

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

^^^ I love how it looks like you'd have to squeeze really close to the wall to get past the toilet

Re: the container apartments, the reason the bathroom was in the middle and not at the back was that they wanted to add a tiny balcony to the living room/bedroom as a luxury feature.

The bedroom would have to go at the back tho. If the bathroom went at the back then the bedrooms would have no windows at all. A bathroom with no window is fine, but a bedroom or kitchen with no natural light would be weird. A big old sliding glass door provides the maximum amount of light.

Really it sounds like it is designed for one person (or an intimate couple) who never has guests over at all. Don't invite anyone over who you aren't willing to let you see pooping.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Really it sounds like it is designed for one person (or an intimate couple) who never has guests over at all. Don't invite anyone over who you aren't willing to let you see pooping.

I live by these words

Want to come over

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I have a couple tiny house / camper stories. many of them involve schadenfreude.

some acquaintances decided that they didn't want to have a mortgage anymore so they sold their house and bought a camper.

they plunked down in the local campground for a month. the campground charges $25/night. when the first monthly bill showed up, they were somehow both surprised and upset that it was higher than their mortgage.

they parked the camper behind her mom's house and that's where they've lived for a few years now.

Knormal posted:

The goal is to build up to owning four tiny houses, then you can swap them out for a hotel.

:nice:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

they plunked down in the local campground for a month. the campground charges $25/night. when the first monthly bill showed up, they were somehow both surprised and upset that it was higher than their mortgage.

I think this is more of an inability to do basic math problem

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Phlegmish posted:

I think this is more of an inability to do basic math problem

Most campgrounds offer permanent campsites for probably an average mortgage payment per year, it sounds like they didn't even do basic research

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

My ex had a basement room like these in the Oakland area, that she shared with three other people. The black mold was just a bonus.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

A couple of years ago there was an attempt to fix the lack of cheap student housing here by constructing an apartment block made of converted container apartments. It was hyped as the future of smart inner city living, but they turned out to be really badly constructed and most of the apartments got mold issues and water damage within like 6 months of people moving in.

My little sister went to a pre-party in one and apparently the layout is so that the front door leads into the kitchen, then the bathroom and then the living room. There is no way to go around the bathroom, each room takes up the whole width of the apartment. So whenever someone used the bathroom, the people in the living room were trapped lol.

lmao

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

unpacked robinhood posted:

Sir, I need an abortion in my butt, an assbortion if you will.

:same:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

500excf type r posted:

Most campgrounds offer permanent campsites for probably an average mortgage payment per year, it sounds like they didn't even do basic research

I was at a crossroads in my life a few years ago, and I had a chance to seriously consider selling my house in the midwest and living in a big RV on the road. My interests are mobile and I can earn my salary anywhere, as long as I have an internet connection.

It didn't take much research to figure out living in an RV was a bit more expensive than living in my house. I intended to travel with it and live in this national park, or that, depending on the season. Or even just a Jellystone RV park, here and there, depending on my whims.... great way to live, right? But it's really expensive to park those things, and plug them in to water and electric. Living in a relative's back yard wasn't an option for me, as I had self respect.

So I just kept the house. I'll look again after the kid is done with college, and is self sufficient (fingers crossed).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

500excf type r posted:

Are we quite sure these acquaintances of his are homo sapiens and not, in fact, members of the australopithecus afarensis species that lived 3.5 million years ago

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Three Olives posted:

Even a couple say, making $15 an hour each is pulling down $57,600 a year, before taxes.

FTFY, because you are clearly not good at basic math. This also assumes a 40 hour week for both, which ,right now, is a bit of a stretch for some.

it's going to be a tight squeeze just to survive, depending on where you live.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

His math was correct assuming a 40 hour work week and no vacation/sick leave time. No need to be a dick about your assumptions about how much vacay time people get (hint, most people aren’t getting 4 weeks every year)

E. This isn’t to say I agree w/ 3O, as I think his overarching position is dumb and selfish

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I read a proposal for shipping container houses once. It was clear they started from "make shipping containers into housing" on a whiteboard and put their noses to the grindstone creating reasons it made any sense.

Old shipping containers are really cheap! We can create affordable housing and save the planet by using these. Right after that they said you should really use new ones, the old ones can leak and since it costs so much to turn one into housing (lol) it didn't make sense to save money on an old one.

naem
May 29, 2011

making a 40 foot container into a single wide trailer with as few windows/doors/holes kinda sorta makes some sense if it is like, designed to be shipped as a container and plunked down somewhere

I don’t see what problem it solves better than other prefab housing

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

naem posted:

I don’t see what problem it solves better than other prefab housing

it doesn't, it's birthed entirely from the design aspect of architecture where people are trying to come up with the most innovative Pure Idea they can and then the rest of the project is trying to hammer it into practical reality

the only competitive idea for shipping container dwelling is if you contain an entire crappy home in a box that can be moved around as a single unit, which is pretty close to a singlewide in function

building a larger structure out of multiple containers is just design trendiness that will look as dated as wood panel basements in thirty years

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
you could have your house put on a container ship and go on a cruise without leaving home!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

1redflag posted:

No need to be a dick about your assumptions about how much vacay time people get (hint, most people aren’t getting 4 weeks every year)

sure they are, they just don't live in the us

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

As an aside, many container ships offer cabins for travellers. You can hitch a ride for months at a time if that's your bag.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

1redflag posted:

His math was correct assuming a 40 hour work week and no vacation/sick leave time. No need to be a dick about your assumptions about how much vacay time people get (hint, most people aren’t getting 4 weeks every year)

E. This isn’t to say I agree w/ 3O, as I think his overarching position is dumb and selfish

I'm getting different numbers because I don't live in the US.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

tango alpha delta posted:

FTFY, because you are clearly not good at basic math. This also assumes a 40 hour week for both, which ,right now, is a bit of a stretch for some.

it's going to be a tight squeeze just to survive, depending on where you live.

Is that even enough for two people to do anything besides cover their bills

In any case it's a stretch because even $15/hr is not something most people are lucky enough to have as a baseline, partly because of Herman Cain (RIP :pressf:). the actual payable minimum wage is insanely low

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Is that even enough for two people to do anything besides cover their bills

In any case it's a stretch because even $15/hr is not something most people are lucky enough to have as a baseline, partly because of Herman Cain (RIP :pressf:). the actual payable minimum wage is insanely low
Yeah I was gonna say this. The few places where the minimum wage is actually $15, it's because the rent is like $1800+ / month for a one bedroom. And the owners require 40x the rent (= 72,000$/year gross income) to even rent the unit. So in 3Olive's idealized dual-income no kids scenario, they'd have a really hard time even finding an affordable studio they'd be able to rent in somewhere like new york making minimum wage.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cum AllYeFaithful posted:

Yeah I was gonna say this. The few places where the minimum wage is actually $15, it's because the rent is like $1800+ / month for a one bedroom. And the owners require 40x the rent (= 72,000$/year gross income) to even rent the unit. So in 3Olive's idealized dual-income no kids scenario, they'd have a really hard time even finding an affordable studio they'd be able to rent in somewhere like new york making minimum wage.

I thought $15/hr was the average income for US citizens with full time jobs. Maybe it was median and not average. Either way, $15/hr is not some sort of lofty number to toss around.

naem
May 29, 2011

minimum wage in San Francisco is now $16.07 an hour, I think the highest in the country. Rent for a one bedroom starts at $3000 a month.

there are people who buy cargo vans to sleep in and park on the street in sf to work two jobs earning that $16.07 and keep any of what they earn

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought $15/hr was the average income for US citizens with full time jobs. Maybe it was median and not average. Either way, $15/hr is not some sort of lofty number to toss around.
I'm not sure, but you have to take into account differences between age groups, credit, and debt load when making these kinds of considerations. Otherwise you're grossly over-simplifying a complex picture. For example:

quote:

Despite making up the largest portion of the workforce, millennials controlled just 4.6% of U.S. wealth through the first half of 2020, according to data from the Federal Reserve.

Baby boomers control over 53% of the country’s wealth, while Gen X accounts for just over 25% and the silent generation holds around 17%, according to the Fed’s data

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/09/mil...eral%20Reserve.

In 2017, 80.4 million workers age 16 and older in the United States were paid at hourly rates, representing 58.3 percent of all wage and salary workers. Among those paid by the hour, 542,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.3 million had wages below the federal minimum. Together, these 1.8 million workers with wages at or below the federal minimum made up 2.3 percent of all hourly paid workers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The % of wealth controlled makes sense, you have more stuff when you're older. Well, up until you're too old then you have to start spending through it or die, thus giving it to the next generation down.

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

The % of wealth controlled makes sense, you have more stuff when you're older.
:wrong:

When baby boomers (born between 1946 and 1964) hit a median age of 35 in 1990, they collectively owned 21% of the nation’s wealth. Millennials own 1/4th of that at the same median age today.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-depressing-chart-shows-the-jaw-dropping-wealth-gap-between-millennials-and-boomers-2019-12-04

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, up until you're too old then you have to start spending through it or die, thus giving it to the ultra rich who control all goods and services necessary for survival, especially healthcare.
fixed that 4 u

https://www.businessinsider.com/billionaires-net-worth-increases-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-7

Cum AllYeFaithful fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 29, 2020

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

naem posted:

minimum wage in San Francisco is now $16.07 an hour, I think the highest in the country. Rent for a one bedroom starts at $3000 a month.

there are people who buy cargo vans to sleep in and park on the street in sf to work two jobs earning that $16.07 and keep any of what they earn

Who the gently caress would want to live in San Francisco these days anyways. I'd be on the first Megabus out of there.

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The_Continental posted:

Who the gently caress would want to live in San Francisco these days anyways. I'd be on the first Megabus out of there.
The choices for too many Americans these days are rapidly narrowing down to "have a decent paying job in a city you can't afford to live in, so you live in a van" or "move out to some small town or rural area where there are no jobs, so you can't afford to live there either".

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Cum AllYeFaithful posted:

The choices for too many Americans these days are rapidly narrowing down to "have a decent paying job in a city you can't afford to live in, so you live in a van" or "move out to some small town or rural area where there are no jobs, so you can't afford to live there either".

This is kind of a false dichotomy as there are entire suburban areas that have tons of businesses and are more affordable. Your choices are far more varied than: New York, LA, or Buttwhippe MO. There are also smaller urban centers that are affordable.

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The_Continental posted:

This is kind of a false dichotomy as there are entire suburban areas that have tons of businesses and are more affordable. Your choices are far more varied than: New York, LA, or Buttwhippe MO. There are also smaller urban centers that are affordable.
A median salary of 33k doesn't buy you a 300k home in the 'burbs. Especially not if you add the cost of children to that equation. That's why we've got over 50% of young adults living with their parents right now. It's also the reason the tiny house trend was able to gain traction in the first place.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...eat-depression/

Cum AllYeFaithful fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 29, 2020

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Who said anything about buying a house? My point was only that living in a van is stupid, and unnecessary. If you think you NEED to be in San Fran you are probably mistaken.

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The_Continental posted:

Who said anything about buying a house? My point was only that living in a van is stupid, and unnecessary. If you think you NEED to be in San Fran you are probably mistaken.
Okay, you're right, that's fair. We should rightfully add, "live with parents until you're 50" to the list of reasonable housing options available to non-rich young people today. To not do so would be to ignore a literal majority of them, after all.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The_Continental posted:

Yeah, cost of living is SO much cheaper in the midwest, but granted, the downside is that you live in the midwest. $35k net annual income DOES get you in a nice, 1500 square foot house for a quarter of your income.

But the fact is, the glamorous cities are getting priced out by rich people. That's just reality.

Cum AllYeFaithful
Oct 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

GORDON posted:

Yeah, cost of living is SO much cheaper in the midwest, but granted, the downside is that you live in the midwest. $35k net annual income DOES get you in a nice, 1500 square foot house for a quarter of your income.
There are only so many 35k jobs in the midwest to support those 1500 sq ft homes, and there's way, way more people who want/need that housing and can't afford it. And as recent history has shown, even that situation won't last. Either the jobs will go away, or the affordable housing will. Look what happened to Portland, Seattle, and Williamsburg Brooklyn over the course of the last 20 years. We've seen it play out, anywhere that's got affordable housing AND decent jobs will be snatched up by outsiders and then gentrified away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

GORDON posted:

But the fact is, the glamorous cities are getting priced out by rich people. That's just reality.

People act like the midwest is some desert when there are tons of huge metro areas. Places like Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Grand Rapids, and even some spots in NE, Pittsburgh, and Philly are completely liveable cities with huge metros.