Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I liked the idea of a tiny house when my spouse suddenly started talking about them all the time; I tend to spend 90% of my life in my house either in an office chair or in bed anyway and the biggest concern for me at that point was that most of these places are not really built for Viking giants like me.

Then when they caught on a little more and they started having shows, it was like "this house only cost $90,000 to build and we can" and I was like "wait, you can buy, like, a normal-sized albeit rundown house in our city* for less than $90,000" "yes but these are cute and" "no, this is now bad and wrong and must be destroyed forever"

*we actually looked at a $50,000 house and it was fine albeit ugly and in need of repairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
I think they're cool.

Save on rent for a few years and it'll pay for itself, then if you're over it you can go back to renting but you now have a sweet camper.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Woden posted:

I think they're cool.

Save on rent for a few years and it'll pay for itself, then if you're over it you can go back to renting but you now have a sweet camper.

Have you seen what these trailer costs and how impractical they are to move? They are sheds built on crappy trailers except horrendously expensive and filled with stuff not designed for that purpose.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Have you seen what these trailer costs and how impractical they are to move? They are sheds built on crappy trailers except horrendously expensive and filled with stuff not designed for that purpose.

I was thinking more diy vans with that comment, I should have specified.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

AHH F/UGH posted:

Yes

Suburban box homes are good, they're an appropriate size, comfortable, pleasing to the eye, create a calm neighborhood and are easily reproducable en masse to save energy and material usage.

it's almost like there's a reason why there are so many of them

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

if i had to live in a van or even a single-wide-trailer sized house i'd loving kill myself after like three days

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I mean they are pretty cool on paper. They make you say "oh neat!". I think people like the idea of living a lifestyle that outwardly says "I am capable of going with less". But still says "This is a choice I made and I'm not actually low-income, or if I am its a chosen lifestyle and I'm in control".

My tinfoil hat Marxist perspective is that it is a curated aesthetic that undermines people's desire for property ownership by selling them a utopian ideal. When you combine things like "Tiny house movement", and "#vanlife" with the gig economy and increasing competition for even wage-slave level jobs things start to look a little crazy. Don't think for a second that the billionaires of the world hate the idea of nobody else owning land and millions of transient masses undercutting each other for gig-economy jobs that pay zero benefits.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'd like to live in a teeny tiny house in the hollow of a tree. I'd wear a mushroom for a hat, leaves for clothes, and curse all that pass by without paying me an homage of honey. Now what exactly is "stupid" or "dumb" about that?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'd like to live in a teeny tiny house in the hollow of a tree. I'd wear a mushroom for a hat, leaves for clothes, and curse all that pass by without paying me an homage of honey. Now what exactly is "stupid" or "dumb" about that?

You wake up one day to find out your little stump is in Keebler territory and wouldn't it be a shame if something happened to this nice little stump you got here

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I looked into these when a tiny house community opened up near me and it sounded kinda neat until I got to the $450/mo "land rental" that wasn't included in the mortgage. Monthly payment would have been about the same for a sixth of the sq. feet.

My dream building is still just one large open garage area with a <500sq ft living space/studio attached.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i can't help the size of my house op, it was born this way

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cyks posted:

My dream building is still just one large open garage area with a <500sq ft living space/studio attached.

:hai:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Cyks posted:

I looked into these when a tiny house community opened up near me and it sounded kinda neat until I got to the $450/mo "land rental" that wasn't included in the mortgage. Monthly payment would have been about the same for a sixth of the sq. feet.

Yeah the more you look into some sort of way to get ahead in property markets the more you realize they don't exist. Unless you're gifted land or a house or something there's no secret way to get ahead.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Barudak posted:

You wake up one day to find out your little stump is in Keebler territory and wouldn't it be a shame if something happened to this nice little stump you got here

This is as likely to happen no matter how large my home or bountiful my honey stores.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I bought a house this year in metro denver because im dumb

It turns out that if you actually do the twenty percent down payment its very difficult to pay more than what you would pay rent for. Its bigger, you have a place to park your car, and you can smoke weed completely legally without breaking your lease

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
My friend built one himself as a multi-year fun project. He seemed to really enjoy building it. Now it's on some private woodsy land which he visits for a getaway.

I could imagine staying in one as cheap AirBnb crash pad. I've stayed in some pretty nice shipping containers in the bay area. I really don't mind it at all for a week or two, especially if I'm running around all day.

For a primary residence, I am way, way more high-maintenance.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
For crime statistics, does one of those portable miniature houses count as an auto for "grand theft auto" charges, or does it count as basic property for "grand larceny"?

Also why don't trailer parks just have real big foundations built that you can bolt your tin can onto so it doesn't get yeeted by the next EF5 tornado?

The_Continental posted:

Yeah the more you look into some sort of way to get ahead in property markets the more you realize they don't exist. Unless you're gifted land or a house or something there's no secret way to get ahead.

:ssh: The secret is exploit working people out of their wealth and use that increase in your own income to buy land faster

Bonus: the more wealth and property you own, the more available places you can exploit workers! Exponential growth! :homebrew:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

admiraldennis posted:

My friend built one himself as a multi-year fun project. He seemed to really enjoy building it. Now it's on some private woodsy land which he visits for a getaway.

I could imagine staying in one as cheap AirBnb crash pad. I've stayed in some pretty nice shipping containers in the bay area. I really don't mind it at all for a week or two, especially if I'm running around all day.

For a primary residence, I am way, way more high-maintenance.

that's just a cabin tho

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

luxury handset posted:

that's just a cabin tho

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

French Canadian posted:

Did u know??? An apartment is a stack of tiny houses. But more space efficient and not stupid.

Yes. Also more environmentally friendly. Vastly more efficient to heat. Much more likely to be built near amenities and transit corridors.

Apartments are the bees knees.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
cabins are cool rear end hell especially for 1 person or if you built it yourself, but tiny house is just a way to trick people into paying a lot for half a house. they are not cheaper at all!!!

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes. Also more environmentally friendly. Vastly more efficient to heat. Much more likely to be built near amenities and transit corridors.

Apartments are the bees knees.

apartments are good.

i live in a two-unit multifamily house which feels like a pretty darn ok way to live especially if you are close with your housemate(s) as I am lucky to be.

64% of the housing in my city is 2-4 unit houses. 25% 5+ unit buildings. 12% single-family homes.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

luxury handset posted:

that's just a cabin tho

ok, yes, I see this framing

he always talked/blogged about it very much as a Tiny House and it's my go-to mental image for Tiny House. so perhaps it was inspired by / built in the "Tiny House" style. but ain't nobody living there fulltime.

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 13, 2020

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i have a regular house, it's not even tiny (~1500 sqft), and it sucks having a full time job and a house to take care of by yourself. especially with a yard in FL where poo poo grows like crazy all year round and it's always miserable outside.

next time i move for work, i'm going back to an apartment or townhouse, gently caress owning a place unless i'm ready to retire or have someone else to help take care of it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
check out this goon's completely bad rear end cabin

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867255

tiny houses are just twee trailer parks for the instagram set

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i live in a 500sq foot studio because a one bedroom starts at 2 grand a month OP

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
OP is jealous of people's cool tiny homes out in nature and poo poo so he's lashing out

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 13, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

bradzilla posted:

Agreed op, those things suck poo poo. I like my 960sq ft house, it's a perfect amount of space for me. And I can even afford it on a single income!

Moving to a small 904sq ft apartment seemed bad at first but the ease of cleaning, necessity for organization, and low cost pretty much sold me on the idea of a small living space. I don't know what the resell market is like on Tiny Houses but i'd imagine it is less than great and im assuming its probably better to buy a small house at that point.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Derpies posted:

I've seen tiny houses work outside Austin at a shelter for the chronically homeless, but that place was super unique and also had a blend of rvs and tiny homes just outside Travis County to avoid municipal backlash. Cant just plop those down anywhere and claim crisis over, you gotta have a hell of a staff and financial backing out the rear end to make it work.

Didnt joe rogan have some dude talk about that?

also why doent people just live on boats? theres like a ton of water on earth.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

hakimashou posted:

OP is jealous of people's cool tiny homes out in nature and poo poo so he's lashing out

This is the home for me only about the same size as the rock in the foreground.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ups_rail posted:

also why doent people just live on boats? theres like a ton of water on earth.

i faintly remember a houseboat thread somewhere on the forums and the gist of it was "never do this unless you love working on your house 24/7 and having at least one part of your house under repairs at all times"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't care to have a "big" house but 1,400 square feet sounds really comfy. not 400 square feet like an animal.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

buglord posted:

i faintly remember a houseboat thread somewhere on the forums and the gist of it was "never do this unless you love working on your house 24/7 and having at least one part of your house under repairs at all times"

highlander dude lived on a house boat on the seine that seemed pretty baller

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Having a spacious home is great, it makes you feel like a real human bean, I would highly recommend it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

hakimashou posted:

These are all super neat but I don't think I'd want to do a winter in any of them. I'm almost positive none of these are actual homes but rather rentable cottages as part of a larger "eco-resort".

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Pontificating rear end posted:

Having a spacious home is great, it makes you feel like a real human bean, I would highly recommend it.

Agreed, I like having lots of room.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I like going to ikea and looking at the tiny decorated spaces. Life in 200 sq feet or whatever. It seems cool. Then I realize that if I lived someplace like that I couldn’t have any stuff and I would have to do my laundry every 2 days because there’s no room for it and I’d have to pack up my desk if I wanted to eat at a table. Basically if you don’t stay on top of organizing and putting everything in its place immediately it all goes to hell.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
hope tiny house owners never find themselves significantly injured or disabled in any way. don't think a wheelchair would fit in one of those things

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
People that live in small houses shouldn't throw stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

The Management posted:

I would have to do my laundry every 2 days because there’s no room for it

If your clothes are this big you should just pitch a tent with them and live under that