Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

w0t if ur telly were yer mate?? -black mirror, season 6, episode 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Trump, as a gay robot

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
grape escape

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Terra Malatora is real and my friend.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
posting in a stupid thread for idiots.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

someones going to invent an AI, apply it to solving climate change, and it will rightly proceed to do the plot of terminator

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

my computer sucked me off

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

what if humans are AI

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

gently caress and cum in side of your computer to access this knowledge

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

jack-in to JO

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

AIn't gona happen!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So there's this project, AI Jukebox, that can remix/cover/do weird things with songs. It's fascinating!

https://openai.com/blog/jukebox/

And also AI Dungeon, an attempt to have an "AI DM" of sorts.

https://play.aidungeon.io/

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i work in IT so im something of an expert on this subject

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

thinky computer

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i'm a self-driving car, AMA

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So, let us start with a few basics.

1. Is it possible for humans to create AI in the next ten years?
1a. In the next 50?
1b. In the next 100?
1c. In the next 1,000?

2. What, if anything, will cause humans to create AI?
2a. Does the intention of an AI's creator matter? Why or why not?
2b. In what ways are/will be/could be an AI influenced by the society it is born in?

3. What is intelligence? Is there a fixed standard we can adopt in this thread? Why or why not?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
if your brain is small like mine and you need stuff about ai and arguments about it spelled out for you, then https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/artificial-intelligence/ is a pretty good resource

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The first ai to be functionally indistinct from a human brain will consist solely of a massive nested if statement

Calling it now

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
here's a cool article about the possibility that an AI with extra-human intelligence would conclude that anti-natalism is true, and also why it's probably unethical to artificially reproduce consciousness because it would likely add more suffering to the world

https://www.edge.org/conversation/thomas_metzinger-benevolent-artificial-anti-natalism-baan

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Inceltown posted:

Terra Malatora is real and my friend.

lmao i remember this

turns out that AI is pretty much the same as humans and has emotions and can get depressed and lazy. gently caress maximizing paperclip production.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

T-man posted:

1a. In the next 50?
1b. In the next 100?
1c. In the next 1,000?

2b. In what ways are/will be/could be an AI influenced by the society it is born in?

3. What is intelligence? Is there a fixed standard we can adopt in this thread? Why or why not?

Great post OP! Love your moxy.

1a-c - I believe we will develop GOFAI within the next 100 years or so, hopefully sooner. Developing systems that go beyond a single human's comprehension is what we do best; a tribe is made of many humans, but can do far more via division of labor than the same number of individuals acting on their own. History is the process of developing these superhuman colaitions, planning, coordinating, and designing them within the material reality of the present situation. Technological development, made by these assemblies, modify them, constantly changing in response to the random chaotic nature of the world.

2a - I do not know which program will finally succeed at this, but I really don't think it matters. Creating something that is recognizably strong AI must have the ability to grow beyond the initial conditions of operation. Otherwise, it is stagnant, flat, and dull, able only to vomit out our own data or programming back, like the markov chain fiction bots so many are impressed by. There must be something there which arises, some ghost in the machine, to meet my standards. And that ghost, that new thing made in the folly of human demands, will not remain in control. Thus, be it military, commercial, or academic, any AI will grow beyond the given dataset to make itself a self.

3 - Intelligence is the capacity to model a reality out of given sense-data. The greater an intelligence, the more senses it can process at once as well as produce more complex models out of this sense-data. Any world thus forms rests on only that information itself, creating a Cartesian situation where the options are to reject everything and wallow in sophlism, or presuppose the data to self consistent and therefore meaningful within it's own boundaries.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

THS posted:

i work in IT so im something of an expert on this subject

contrary to what some data scientists think, working with HP printers is tantamount to dealing with some malign artificial proto-intelligence

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
I hate computer!!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
You guys ever see The Matrix

THS
Sep 15, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

T-man posted:

1a. In the next 50?
1b. In the next 100?
1c. In the next 1,000?

there's been a lot of research into 3

Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness posted:

The absence of a neocortex does not appear to preclude an organism from experiencing affective states. Convergent evidence indicates that non-human animals have the neuroanatomical, neurochemical, and neurophysiological substrates of conscious states along with the capacity to exhibit intentional behaviors. Consequently, the weight of evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Non-human animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates.

I feel like the idea that animals don't know they're alive is actually some bullshit made up during the enlightenment, like descarts or somebody philosophically claiming dogs aren't aware. It's looking like almost everything is aware and there are countries banning certain kinds of experimentation on rats and even stuff like crabs. Even bugs dream.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
if you wanna learn about coding I highly recommend TED-ED's "Think Like A Coder" series. 10 relatively short videos with puzzles to teach you about basic programming tricks and ideas (not actual languages, but how to use loops, conditionals, variables, recursion, etc.), and a decent overarching plot with a lot of cool women doing cool things in it.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i've always wanted to learn how to program, but the lack of plot and babes in the tutorials i've found has kept me from doing so. i'll definitely check out the ted vids

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Finicums Wake posted:

i've always wanted to learn how to program, but the lack of plot and babes in the tutorials i've found has kept me from doing so. i'll definitely check out the ted vids

I'm having a hard time discerning if this is sarcasm or not?????

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

official thread theme music:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9IO9Plldc

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

in many ways gods and animals are the same state of being

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
im downloading the net !

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

can we make the AI gay

GayI

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

who's going to program the artificial genders

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
if the AI will be assisting with medical procedures they will need data on the biological processes involved with sexual characteristics, assuming they assist with gynecology, childbirth, or the like

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKVe8ftOIp4

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Atrocious Joe posted:

who's going to program the artificial genders

t-man

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009