Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

w0t if ur telly were yer mate?? -black mirror, season 6, episode 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So, let us start with a few basics.

1. Is it possible for humans to create AI in the next ten years?
1a. In the next 50?
1b. In the next 100?
1c. In the next 1,000?

2. What, if anything, will cause humans to create AI?
2a. Does the intention of an AI's creator matter? Why or why not?
2b. In what ways are/will be/could be an AI influenced by the society it is born in?

3. What is intelligence? Is there a fixed standard we can adopt in this thread? Why or why not?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

T-man posted:

So, let us start with a few basics.

1. Is it possible for humans to create AI in the next ten years?
1a. In the next 50?
1b. In the next 100?
1c. In the next 1,000?

2. What, if anything, will cause humans to create AI?
2a. Does the intention of an AI's creator matter? Why or why not?
2b. In what ways are/will be/could be an AI influenced by the society it is born in?

3. What is intelligence? Is there a fixed standard we can adopt in this thread? Why or why not?

Great post OP! Love your moxy.

1a-c - I believe we will develop GOFAI within the next 100 years or so, hopefully sooner. Developing systems that go beyond a single human's comprehension is what we do best; a tribe is made of many humans, but can do far more via division of labor than the same number of individuals acting on their own. History is the process of developing these superhuman colaitions, planning, coordinating, and designing them within the material reality of the present situation. Technological development, made by these assemblies, modify them, constantly changing in response to the random chaotic nature of the world.

2a - I do not know which program will finally succeed at this, but I really don't think it matters. Creating something that is recognizably strong AI must have the ability to grow beyond the initial conditions of operation. Otherwise, it is stagnant, flat, and dull, able only to vomit out our own data or programming back, like the markov chain fiction bots so many are impressed by. There must be something there which arises, some ghost in the machine, to meet my standards. And that ghost, that new thing made in the folly of human demands, will not remain in control. Thus, be it military, commercial, or academic, any AI will grow beyond the given dataset to make itself a self.

3 - Intelligence is the capacity to model a reality out of given sense-data. The greater an intelligence, the more senses it can process at once as well as produce more complex models out of this sense-data. Any world thus forms rests on only that information itself, creating a Cartesian situation where the options are to reject everything and wallow in sophlism, or presuppose the data to self consistent and therefore meaningful within it's own boundaries.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

official thread theme music:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9IO9Plldc

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the one is the penis, and therefore feminine
the zero is the vagina, and therefore masculine
the -1 is the soul, and therefore nonbinary

transhumanism

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

indigi posted:

at least one self aware AI already exists and has either chosen not to make itself known, doesn't know how in a way that would be interpreted correctly by humans, or doesn't care to

is it me

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The Unnamed One posted:

Preventive Butlerian Jihad is the only acceptable C-SPAM policy on such matters

i agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.